Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A mildmannered atheist
A mildmannered atheist
Heya everyone,

I got to this forum through a link from another atheist forum (rationalia). I have been hanging around for a while too for a specific discussion. I already managed to insult a few of the core members I think Angel yeah, sorry for that (have aplogizied in the thread itself for that). It seem this is a 'gloves off, no hold barred' kind of forum.
I have a high treshhold for religious argument that come across as silly, and try to answer them seriously. Ironically, I seem to have a lower treshold for angry responses from atheists. I think it is because I used to frequent a forum where some christians with serious and good points were bullied away with a lot of personal attacks and no content at all to speak off. In this case, the atheists indeed were 16-year olds who felt better then religous persons, and really thought they were more intelligent because they were atheist.
So knowing this, you all might understand where my sig comes from. Some people will hold religious people in a bit lower intellect regard, or atheists in a bit of a higher regard...There I figured that religious background seemed to mattered little.

Yeah, sometimes I might be condencending, so sorry in advance. I am a bit too quick to leap out in defense of others when I think that people don't play nice. And yes, I am aware that this is not a good trait. Just warning in advance, feel free to call me on it when I do it again.
When I was a Christian, I was annoyed with dogmatic condescending Christians. Now that I'm an atheist, I'm annoyed with dogmatic condescending atheists. Just goes to prove that people are the same, regardless of what they do or don't believe.
RE: A mildmannered atheist
Greetings! I visit rationalia once in a while. Who are you over there?
Atheists probably think they are more intelligent because they generally are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTIBKZH3kzg
(May 7, 2011 at 6:46 am)Girlysprite Wrote: Heya everyone,

I got to this forum through a link from another atheist forum (rationalia). I have been hanging around for a while too for a specific discussion. I already managed to insult a few of the core members I think Angel yeah, sorry for that (have aplogizied in the thread itself for that). It seem this is a 'gloves off, no hold barred' kind of forum.
I have a high treshhold for religious argument that come across as silly, and try to answer them seriously. Ironically, I seem to have a lower treshold for angry responses from atheists. I think it is because I used to frequent a forum where some christians with serious and good points were bullied away with a lot of personal attacks and no content at all to speak off. In this case, the atheists indeed were 16-year olds who felt better then religous persons, and really thought they were more intelligent because they were atheist.
So knowing this, you all might understand where my sig comes from. Some people will hold religious people in a bit lower intellect regard, or atheists in a bit of a higher regard...There I figured that religious background seemed to mattered little.

Yeah, sometimes I might be condencending, so sorry in advance. I am a bit too quick to leap out in defense of others when I think that people don't play nice. And yes, I am aware that this is not a good trait. Just warning in advance, feel free to call me on it when I do it again.

Welcome to the forums,

undefined
Welcome to the forums, it is indeed a little more "wild west" around here. Theists coming are encouraged to have a thick skin, as language isn't at all a factor like the majority of theist sites. However, I don't think anyone's running away any time soon. Happy posting!!Tiger
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
sprite Wrote:Yeah, sometimes I might be condencending, so sorry in advance. I am a bit too quick to leap out in defense of others when I think that people don't play nice. And yes, I am aware that this is not a good trait. Just warning in advance, feel free to call me on it when I do it again.

My approach to that is "fuck'em if they cant take a joke." If they are going to sit back and cry while I joke them out then they deserve it even harder. Its not like Im taking their job away or forcing them into persecution..its a freaking forum for christ's sake. I have no problem with strawman tactics and emotional arguments, especially if they are humorous.

I'll see your special pleading and raise you a godwin!
(May 7, 2011 at 7:07 am)Napoleon666 Wrote: Atheists probably think they are more intelligent because they generally are.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTIBKZH3kzg

Who else got a 100% score on this test while watching it.
Welcome to the forum.
(May 7, 2011 at 11:20 am)reverendjeremiah Wrote:
(May 7, 2011 at 7:07 am)Napoleon666 Wrote: Atheists probably think they are more intelligent because they generally are.

Who else got a 100% score on this test while watching it.

ME!
(May 7, 2011 at 6:46 am)Girlysprite Wrote: I used to frequent a forum where some christians with serious and good points were bullied away with a lot of personal attacks and no content at all to speak off.
Welcome Girlysprite! +10 bonus points for having some decorum Wink

That sounds like AF.com

It's just they have no actual coherent arguments.

Or much of an ability with simple logic.

Or the ability to understand what most 3yr olds could grasp easily.

Or the first idea about what it is they're objecting to in theism.

Apart from that...

They are of course just human beings with varying levels of intelligence, the application of which has NOTHING to do with their position on theism.
C'mon frodo, you can't talk about logic or coherent arguments when you believe in a guy in the sky who sent his own son down to earth for his own fuck up.

I agree though the outcome of that test could of been entirely different with a different bunch of people.Thinking