Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Camping: What's the Harm?
Camping: What's the Harm?
Skeptics are often asked "What's the harm?" when they attempt to debunk crazy beliefs and expose charlatans.

I've had a few moments when people have asked "What's the harm?" when it comes to religion.

We've cited lots of examples why religion is bullshit and harmful, but I think this blog gives a good brief example of what makes it most heinous: fear.

http://www.patheos.com/community/slackti...d-camping/

My ex, who used to not give a single crap about religion, is now married to a woman who is neurotic, childish, and ignorant because her mother calls her every day to remind her of the fear of God. They now visit church twice a week. I know because I'm a regular gym rat with his half-sister, who is an atheist. He regularly abuses her verbally for her "choices" because the fear of God twists family relations into ugly things.

A sweet girl I knew in high school, naive, pretty, full of sunshine and generosity, has fallen into Christ-love and now spends all of her blogging about it, in angst because many of her family and good friends "just don't believe like she does" and she's been told they'll end up in hell. She can't do anything about it. That natural fear you feel for a loved one when they're in pain and you're helpless to do anything about it? Imagine feeling that every moment that your mind isn't occupied by your immediate activities. Imagine living your life in fear because your clergyman is abusing you and not only is this an older more powerful person who's shaming you in all the same ways a secular person could be, but they'll put a cosmic spin on it too because God is always watching...and isn't he/she appointed by God?

It's not hard to see the hate and bigotry and sometimes barely concealed terror when you're on religious forums.

There is an all-or-nothing attitude within those who accept religious doctrine that also stems from fear: you shouldn't have ANY sex before marriage because of... And they use fear to try and keep kids from doing it, all because they fear either their god, or hopefully they're just being decent parents and wanting their kids to get the best out of life. Either way, it's the wrong tactic. They do the same shit with drugs.

Fear of God's wrath and damnation isn't going to make this world better - real, truthful information IS.

To that end, I don't know why, in an age when information is so readily available, people still cling to fear and choose to follow men like this asswipe Camping. We could argue that point infinitely - it might be different for every single person. Either way, Camping was capitalizing on fears held within each of his followers, and I find it loathsome to the extreme.

And that's why, the older I get and the more people I meet, the less tolerance I find I have for religion. Humanity ought not live in fear of a God prone to hissy fits.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Camping: What's the Harm?
Quote:And that's why, the older I get and the more people I meet, the less tolerance I find I have for religion. Humanity ought not live in fear of a God prone to hissy fits.

Wait until you're as old as I am, Sweetie. Big Grin
I too have felt the way you feel about these people caught up in the delusion so strongly.
Be careful that your own angst isn't misdirected too my queen, or you too might find yourself driving the behemoth.
What angst do you think I have, fr0d0?
(May 22, 2011 at 6:39 pm)fr0d0 Wrote: Be careful that your own angst isn't misdirected too my queen, or you too might find yourself driving the behemoth.

Only if her "angst" was able to rob people of their life savings and damn people to fiery torment for all eternity.

...but since that's not likely.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I'm just going to take a wild stab, as he's not likely to answer.

I have no "angst" - at least not of the existential kind. I don't even have angst for these people. I have pity, and sometimes sympathy.

I'm not prepping myself for some crusade against religion because "angst" for these sorts of people drives me to it. There are others, far more eloquent and wiser than I, already leading that movement.

I don't plan to teach my children this bullshit. If I get knocked up by my current boyfriend, and they take after their parents, it won't be far along in life before they realize what a hunk of hooey religion is anyway. Both of us figured it out at a fairly young age.

I don't set out to deconvert people, but I will stand firm against baloney.

I am one small spark against billions of other tiny sparks, glittering across the surface of one more spark in a billion coruscating in the universe.

The only thing that makes me different from some other sparks is I don't require the assurance that mine is somehow special and cherished out of all that other light in the universe by some being capable of taking it all in, yet somehow capable of differentiating between them all.

For a short time, my spark's going to help warm another's. We make a pleasant glow together. Then it will dwindle, and die. Others will take our place. The wheel of the galaxy will turn and the universe will continue expanding, and my atoms will disperse wherever they may. When I'm dead, I won't be around to care.

But I'm not dead now. And if I lived in fear of what might happen after that, I'd be too worried about what might destroy "eternity" in my short trip here. Too worried some action would cause me to be "left behind."
Your posts seem full of angst to me m'lady. You're taking the defensive would seem to support such a notion. I have no problem with angst... as long as it stays within reason.

So are you saying that the bullshit you won't teach your children is religion or obvious baloney? Is that really a level headed statement or are you bringing some baggage into that conclusion? See I would condemn religion too, and often have. Do we get to a point where we can respect a position?
Quote:So are you saying that the bullshit you won't teach your children is religion or obvious baloney?

Frods....you say that as if there is a difference!
I really don't see where I've gone to a point too far that you should feel the need to warn me, fr0d0. And you've never commented before on my posts being "full of angst." All I'm asking for is an example and reason why you think it's angsty.

But if I seem "full of angst," go ahead and play a sad song for me. Maybe it'll make you feel better.

What I am is hot and sweaty. In comes the North Carolina heat.
I can't give him "angst". How about anger, hobbit?

http://scienceblogs.com/pharyngula/2011/...s_safe.php

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What will Camping do now? Darwinian 8 2087 May 22, 2011 at 6:15 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  What's the harm? leo-rcc 7 3154 May 26, 2009 at 10:51 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet