Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
See, even Rand Paul can have opinions that liberals like...
See, even Rand Paul can have opinions that liberals like...
Libertarian opposition to the Patriot Act:

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/27/136722456/...cy?ps=cprs
RE: See, even Rand Paul can have opinions that liberals like...
(May 27, 2011 at 11:48 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Libertarian opposition to the Patriot Act:

http://www.npr.org/2011/05/27/136722456/...cy?ps=cprs

I was very cautious of Rand Paul when he first started his campaign due to the support he got from the Tea Party. Since the Tea Party has been co-opted by the Republican establishment I assumed any candidate they supported would be Republican establishment. But he turned out a lot better than I thought. As close to his dad as I could hope, I guess.
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

Dean
The reasons why someone does something are as important as what they do, Adrian.

In the case of this fuck-wit

Quote:including his unsuccessful effort to amend the act to restrict national security officials' access to gun records —

he is simply a stooge for the NRA.
I would think that anyone with half a functioning brain would be against the Patriot Act. The U.S. became less American because of that law.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(May 28, 2011 at 12:35 am)Minimalist Wrote: The reasons why someone does something are as important as what they do, Adrian.

In the case of this fuck-wit

Quote:including his unsuccessful effort to amend the act to restrict national security officials' access to gun records —

he is simply a stooge for the NRA.

Because he tried to amend the act to restrict national security officials' access to gun records automatically means that is the absolute only reason he wants to do away with the Patriot Act?

Salads are good for me. That, then, must be the only reason I eat them. It can't be because I like them.

No, seriously. Ignore the picture of my fat ass...I like salads. lol
(May 28, 2011 at 12:38 am)FaithNoMore Wrote: I would think that anyone with half a functioning brain would be against the Patriot Act. The U.S. became less American because of that law.

The U.S. became less American because of a lot of laws and actions. Including everything to do with the Dept. of Homeland Security and the War on Terror.
I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish Church, by the Roman Church, by the Greek Church, by the Turkish Church, by the Protestant Church, nor by any Church that I know of. My own mind is my own Church. - Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason

Dean
@Min

"If he didn't feel strongly about the substance of the Patriot Act, it would have been perceived as just another — yawn — procedural dustup. You could tell that he felt passionately about this." - Laura W. Murphy, of American Civil Liberties Union
Ok - so Rand Paul did what quite a great many Republicans and even Democrats couldn't stomach - represent the views of your voters.

Excellent.

That doesn't change Rand Paul's record and political views.
I love the patriot act because it means I'm always on T.V. Smile
(May 28, 2011 at 12:45 am)Dean-o Wrote: No, seriously. Ignore the picture of my fat ass...I like salads. lol

Maybe you should ease off on the salad dressing.

http://weightloss.about.com/od/eatsmart/a/salads_2.htm

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is "Be the part of the change you want to see in the world!" bullshit? FlatAssembler 45 2013 February 3, 2024 at 10:15 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Ayn Rand blamed for current state of America Foxaèr 61 3118 June 24, 2021 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: no one
  Anyone Else in America See Your Taxes Go Up? DeistPaladin 17 2347 April 12, 2019 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: RobbyPants
  Paul Manafort fredd bear 21 3254 March 10, 2019 at 10:58 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Stop Re litigating 2016 liberals /OP ED. Brian37 66 4834 February 21, 2019 at 7:59 am
Last Post: DLJ
  What job experience would you like to see in a Presidential candidate? onlinebiker 44 2367 February 14, 2019 at 8:26 am
Last Post: Yonadav
  Americans supporting sexual misconduct survivors even less than before? Rev. Rye 6 966 October 28, 2018 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  White liberals are the true racists Sammin 55 4344 October 23, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Paul Krugman Called It Minimalist 38 6198 October 22, 2018 at 5:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Even The FOX FUX Have Had Eniough of the Orange Turdfuhrer Minimalist 2 371 October 11, 2018 at 12:40 pm
Last Post: Amarok