Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: September 16, 2024, 4:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help finding...
Help finding...
I was reading a old thread in this section and a member brought out the idea that most of the modern science claims of that are found in Islam are ambiguous and were founded by the Greeks earlier. I'm asking for where this information was brought from. I'm interesting in learning more about. Or you can tell me what parts are ambiguous and point to where earlier Greeks said the same thing. Thanks in advance.
And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised - Surah Adh-Dhariyat
RE: Help finding...
Im not exactly sure what your looking for but ill keep a watch here lol
Every so often some one shows up making the inane claim that their 8th century book of fables contains modern scientific evidence.

The web is crowded with denunciations of those claims.

http://councilofexmuslims.com/index.php?topic=4537.0

Quote:I would like to take this opportunity to write about my views of the supposed scientific miracles that the Qur'an accurately predicted.

Before I start to talk about the supposed miracles, I want to talk about some major issues I have with this idea.

1. This idea among Muslim's is a very recent phenomenon, not known before the 1970s and having gained massive popularity through the internet.

2. I have yet to see a verse in the Qur'an which clearly contains modern scientific information. All of the verses which contain supposed scientific miracles are very vague and can be taken to mean a number of things, and very often, the supposed scientific miracle is one of the least likely meanings. People often use a psychological tendency called "confirmation bias" which means to interpret information to confirm one's preconceptions and to avoid information and interpretations which contradict prior beliefs.
I was pretty sure that is what was going on. Some people really try to stretch ancient writings.
(June 5, 2011 at 12:29 am)Eternity Wrote: I was reading a old thread in this section and a member brought out the idea that most of the modern science claims of that are found in Islam are ambiguous and were founded by the Greeks earlier. I'm asking for where this information was brought from. I'm interesting in learning more about. Or you can tell me what parts are ambiguous and point to where earlier Greeks said the same thing. Thanks in advance.

You may want to take a look at this:
http://www.quranicstudies.com/articles/m...ology.html

On a more general note, here are some important questions to those who believe that the material in the Quran was plagiarized from other, human sources:

Jamal Badawi Wrote:

So, have there been any scientific discoveries that were a direct result of the koran?

I.e, Some one has read the koran and said," Gee, here is the speed of light" or somesuch.

Or have discoveries been made in the same old way of insight and research.

And the muslim apologiests come along after all the real work has been done and claimed "But it was in our book all along"

If the first premise is true you would have a case, otherwise......
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
First of all thanks for the input on the topic. Secondly, thanks for sharing both sides Rayaan and Minimalist. I'll make sure to read both thoroughly.

And in heaven is your Sustenance, as (also) that which ye are promised - Surah Adh-Dhariyat
Speaking of science, this is also interesting: http://atheistforums.org/thread-5779.html

Quote:Similarities between the Bridge and a cosmic string
1. They are both strings which are long and narrower than the width of a hair.
2. The bridge will have hooks on the sides. Cosmic strings also has what physicists call “cusps” and “kinks” on them which are sharp and pointed ends on a cosmic string.
3. Some people will cross the bridge as fast as lightning. Similarly, objects that get attached to a cosmic string can also travel at extremely fast speeds.
To be, a) completely fair and b) because I like shitting on xtians, Eternity.... they pull the same bullshit with their bible.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scie...-Bible.php

Equally unconvincing.
(June 5, 2011 at 12:32 pm)Minimalist Wrote: To be, a) completely fair and b) because I like shitting on xtians, Eternity.... they pull the same bullshit with their bible.

http://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Scie...-Bible.php

Equally unconvincing.

Thanks, I was of previous knowledge that what they said was debunked. But this is another piece to consider. Thanks.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Need help finding a book for cheap. Mudhammam 3 1162 October 24, 2014 at 8:06 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam