Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 4:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exile
Exile
Greetings, folks. I came looking for a place where my views are less likely to get me into trouble. Sad to say that, really, but having been a member of a motorcycle forum which has had a great discussion area but wherein, every time I say anything critical about organized religion, I find myself looked at with scorn, I decided to look for a greener pasture.

That is unfortunate, really, because the best sort of discourse I can imagine is to talk to others with differing perspectives, agreeing that, while we may not agree, we can still shake hands and walk away friends.

It is a sad day when, because someone, having been asked why religion gets a different treatment from liberalism, and having responded with the assertion that the former is about the closing of the mind (logically, this must be so), whereas the latter is about the opening thereof, is told that he is a mean spirited and cruel person.

Since so many people fear to step past the circle of political correctness, sheep graze and shepherds tend, and ignorance is the predominant state of being, treasured for its insulating wool and the way it occludes the problem of eyes and real light.

I was raised Catholic and turned away from it after my first communion, tasting as I did the hypocrisy of consuming metaphoric flesh of a god who hated the gods who demanded sacrifices. It was too much then, and it is more so now. I am a big fan of the Classics. I teach Latin, and love the Greco-Roman traditions (though I haven't sacrificed a bullock to Zeus or Apollo in recent memory) for what I see as a far greater open-mindedness, and the one which by its beginning, led us to understand the value of gods as utterly extraneous to ourselves. I am a passionate reader, a lifter of weights (the real sort), and a bit too keen for things with wheels, though I do keep a bit of a guilty conscience for this.

Cheers to you all.

C
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: Exile
Welcome to our forums, it's the greenest pasture of all pastures, honest Smile
You seem nice, and clever. Welcome!
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
Don't worry, you'll get plenty of 'differing perspectives' here Great
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Ah yeah.....xtian biker gangs....

[Image: CMA+028.jpg]

Wonder if they rumble with the Pagans much?

You've arrived at a better place.
Welcome to the forum, blast away about the catholic church, I dislike them a lot. :-)
Welcome
Hi
[Image: Evolution.png]

Meh... use of the word 'logic' in an introduction turns me away.

Hi...
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Welcome.
(June 7, 2011 at 10:22 am)Epimethean Wrote:

Welcome. This is perhaps the best place for an atheist. There are some theists here two, but they are few enough, so you won't feel cornered - and they usually, or most theists usually waste your time, so perhaps the best thing is not to have big expectations of them. Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Exile and Disestablishment tesseract7d 25 4989 May 8, 2011 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: tackattack