Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 12:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone read this little book?
Has anyone read this little book?
I found it while looking for a book by John Dewey, and it had a strong vibe to it, so I took it home only to find it online as a pdf.

http://tarnac9.noblogs.org/gallery/5188/...nglish.pdf
Trying to update my sig ...
RE: Has anyone read this little book?
(June 8, 2011 at 9:57 am)Epimethean Wrote: I found it while looking for a book by John Dewey, and it had a strong vibe to it, so I took it home only to find it online as a pdf.

http://tarnac9.noblogs.org/gallery/5188/...nglish.pdf

Epi, as a veteran of the 60's "culture wars", I believe I have a decent perspective of this rambling mess. A few points:

1. Society was not invented by anybody. It is simply the aggregate of smaller groups, motivated by common - and very simple - needs: food, shelter, security, Iphones, 3-D movies, etc. Hence, it is preposterous to think that fairly complex ideas on the Philosophy of Culture, Freedom and the Meaning of Life will ever constitute a rallying point for humans to drastically change their ways and behave.

2. The Lowest Common Denominator - the mob mentality - will win every time. This is why we need an organized society, with laws and their enforcement, to help keep the morons in line. Please watch a video of any street demonstration organized by the Tea Party, or a celebration of the fans of the winning team in any soccer tournament. We are our worst enemy. The People watch both reality shows and the stupid Royal Wedding on T.V. They listen to Limbaugh and Camping. They are proud to be as ignorant as Sarah Palin. More importantly, they are manipulated mercilessly by Fox News. Good luck getting this shapeless mass to do anything that requires thinking.

3. In the 1968 Paris uprising, a large number of young people impulsively followed a few radical leaders... until they got serious (for instance, by actually attacking government facilities). Then everybody remembered that they had homework to complete, college to finish and a job to find, to support themselves. I can't tell you how quickly the mob dissipated and the radicals were left holding the bag. Depending on your point of view, this may be a sad commentary of the nature of the human animal, but there you go...

4. The moment the powers that be detect a real danger to the status quo, they will land on top of the organizers like a ton of bricks. A commune that cultivates a few tomatoes and talks for hours and hours about the Revolution will never be perceived as a threat. How do I know? Well, they're still around.

May the Force be with you, or some such crap...

“Millions of New Yorkers are good with God. Are you good with God?"
Poster Ad in the Staten Island Ferry terminal
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"And if you are, are you also good with the Tooth Fairy? How about the Easter Bunny?"
My proposed addendum
RE: Has anyone read this little book?
Fair points, chido. The fact that this sort of literature proliferates at certain times, and the fact that France and Greece are experiencing massive upheavals these past few years suggests that it is slightly more than imagination which spawned it, regardless of the terminology it uses to articulate the issue. I can imagine the same poo-pooing occuring in England during America's revolt, and for good reasons then, too.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I did a little estimated calculation. Brian37 13 745 October 28, 2020 at 4:13 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  "Securing America’s Election Act" Has Gotten Little To No Media Attention ReptilianPeon 20 2443 August 2, 2018 at 9:47 am
Last Post: Brian37
  The Poor Little Orange Turd Can't Grasp It... Minimalist 0 442 July 20, 2018 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Worth The Read. Minimalist 12 908 July 5, 2018 at 12:11 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Ever notice that there are little to no trolls on sites like La Times or WaPo GODZILLA 4 709 June 30, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Little Marco Mouths Off. Accidentally Tells The Truth Minimalist 3 684 May 1, 2018 at 10:30 pm
  And The Noose Gets A Little Tighter.... Minimalist 0 409 February 15, 2018 at 9:30 pm
  IS There Anyone Who Thinks The WLB Has The Smarts To Deal With This Looming Crisis? Minimalist 2 445 December 24, 2017 at 11:05 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Little Electoral Justice Minimalist 10 1701 November 10, 2017 at 2:35 am
Last Post: Amarok
  Ethics Are For Little People Minimalist 0 312 September 22, 2017 at 3:02 pm