Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 7:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Omnism
Omnism
Hi everyone. I found out about omnism from a reason and spirit forum. It's a deist forum. It is a belief that all religions contain some truth. I kind of agree. Truth mixed up with grey and outright wrong. You can Google it. I believe that its sort of true. It tels you for example do something good but later it tells you do something bad(revealed religiond) of it tells you to do good only for the not quite good or truthfull reasons. Anyone agree? Thanks
RE: Omnism
All religion contain some truth. But the base is bullshit and the people who try to interpret it, do so to coincide with their personal beliefs and are morons.

I just do not understand deism, just because people don't understand the universe does not mean their had to be a creator.

If you could find a link for the forum I'd be very grateful. (im at work and on my iPhone so I can't look myself, gotta get bal from lunch.)
I am on the phone always. I don't have a computer. The website that will lead you to the forum is http://www.reasonandspirit.com . If you Google 10 principles of unified deism you can see what we are guided by. Most of us are diferent. We are unified only by belief in God as a basic belief. Everything else Is up to the individual since no one could or should force intricacies of their belief onto someone else. Its your choice, no one can control you make in your mind. Thanks
I just don't understand why we have to dress up human nature in mystical trappings. It is like showing up for an orgy to find everyone wearing mumus. makes no sense. The world is plenty amazing naked and real. Stop putting shit on it to make it supernatural. Nature is super, period.
Trying to update my sig ...
This sounds like a compromise position for weak minded and weak spirited people.
[Image: bloodyheretic.png]

"Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from weak minds."
Einstein

When I was 5 years old, my mother always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wanted to be when I grew up. I wrote down happy. They told me I didn't understand the assignment. I told them they didn't understand life.

- John Lennon
(June 10, 2011 at 7:32 am)Pel Wrote: It is a belief that all religions contain some truth.

I'm not sure about ALL religions ... although I would it reduce it to the 3 major ones (which are Judaism, Islam, and Christianity) because they are monotheistic and have many similarities.

(June 10, 2011 at 12:13 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(June 10, 2011 at 7:32 am)Pel Wrote: It is a belief that all religions contain some truth.

I'm not sure about ALL religions ... although I would it reduce it to the 3 major ones (which are Judaism, Islam, and Christianity) because they are monotheistic and have many similarities.

How kind of you. Personally, religion made a great deal more sense when man was primitive and simply worshiped numen. We have evolved past that stage, so this clinging to the "big three" is much like a ten year-old kid with his old tattered blanket.

Give up the placebo.
Trying to update my sig ...
Does anyone know what the difference between omnism and universalism is?

The two religious concepts seem to be almost identical.
Omnism is a belief that all religions hold truth to them. Universalism is the idea that religious doctrines are meant to include everyone, not just a chosen few.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 10, 2011 at 3:01 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote: Omnism is a belief that all religions hold truth to them. Universalism is the idea that religious doctrines are meant to include everyone, not just a chosen few.
Yes but the distinction between the two concepts is negligible, a tenet of universalism, like omnism, is that there is a core belief in one common truth, take Hindu universalism for example, it denotes the ideology that all religions are true. Why have two terms/labels for religious concepts that actually have the same meaning?