Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 12:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Clarifying what my username means
Clarifying what my username means
By "Atheist Jew" I mean that religiously I am an atheist or Bright. But I am ethnically Jewish which means that my ancestors lived in Israel. I am also culturally Jewish which means I calebrate Hanukkah and Passover for the sake of cultural heritage and the like. No religion involved.
RE: Clarifying what my username means
(June 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm)Atheist Jew Wrote: By "Atheist Jew" I mean that religiously I am an atheist or Bright. But I am ethnically Jewish which means that my ancestors lived in Israel. I am also culturally Jewish which means I calebrate Hanukkah and Passover for the sake of cultural heritage and the like. No religion involved.

Ive met an Atheist Jew back when I was moderating Freethinkers and atheists of Virginia. I got a good laugh out of it when he told me... then I stopped and got serious and said: "I hope you have a good sense of humor about it." Which made him crack up. He explained that it was more about communal laws and traditional identity in the Jewish community. Sure, some of the Jews want you to believe in God, but as long as you are following the (I cant remember the word he used) "Law", then you are fine.

It made sense to me... complicated sense... but sense none the less.
I think most Jews are atheists these days.
Yes, when I debated some of my family members on the issue they didn't really try to defend it. Also, in the course of one of these debates one of my relatives stated that if you try to argue against the existence of god with a rabbi, and base one of your points on something in the Torah, he will try to twist the meaning around and interpret it in the "correct" way.
Not a problem, you Atheist Jew Heart

Are you an accountant or lawyer? Heart
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(June 10, 2011 at 10:04 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote: Not a problem, you Atheist Jew Heart

Are you an accountant or lawyer? Heart

Naw..my money is on him being a Movie Producer or a Banker
Welcome

We do have an atheist jew queen somewhere around here Big Grin
She's been absent for a bit, I hear rumor she's too busy to grace us with her presence anymore.

@Rev J. I believe that would be rabinical law.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
(June 10, 2011 at 4:46 pm)Atheist Jew Wrote: But I am ethnically Jewish which means that my ancestors lived in Israel.

My ancestors were from Africa... doesn't make me African... but this is just me being picky with words really.

Welcome.

Cunt
(June 11, 2011 at 7:35 am)LastPoet Wrote: Welcome

We do have an atheist jew queen somewhere around here Big Grin

She left. Apparently she grew tired of the fundy trolls on the site and someone also accused her of something which pissed her off (not getting into details)

Needless to say I begged her to stay.. I was doing my duty and worshipping her highness.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Meaning behind your username 2.0 Foxaèr 84 5142 November 2, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: TwoCultSurvivor
  My username is funny Slave 22 5252 July 24, 2013 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Napoléon
  Username/Avatar ... why oh why? mayor of simpleton 40 6536 January 20, 2012 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda