Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 28, 2024, 11:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strange problem
Strange problem
When I switch my PC on it boots up. Nothing strange there. However, if the PC has been turned off at the wall I have to switch it on at the wall/power socket and then wait a good 3 minutes before I can then actually turn the computer itself on. If I try to switch it on before the 3 minutes, nothing happens.

Explain that Undecided
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
RE: Strange problem
Godditit
I don't pretend to know what's wrong, motherboard or power supply maybe.
There is a technique for checking power supplies if you've got a multi metre.
Easy things to do would be to check the cord from power point to case, try another cord I've had powerboards with one dodgy socket, you could try plugging it into another socket.
The internal power connection from power supply to motherboard could be checked.
Power supplies often have a switch, I've never seen a wobbly one but I haven't seen many things.

I don't use a UPS, I don't know if they could do this, probably not, don't know.
I haven't got one of those fancy power boards that turn themselves off either.

I suspect some annoying motherboard problem that may get worse.
Video card, hard disk and memory problems shouldn't stop the computer making some noise.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
It appears to be acting as if there needs to be some form of charge collected before the device can be rendered operational, which is bizarre.

However, some of the "fast on" abilities that modern hardware offers has the precondition that you leave the object tethered to a power source at all times. This is due to the fact that most implementations of "fast on" (also known as instant on) use capacitors or capacitor-like components, which no doubt require time to charge up.

Perhaps the "fast on" components of your computer have become brittle enough that one must wait for charge saturation, which is quite likely.

Capacitors on computer equipment, especially if said equipment is from China or Taiwan, are weak points. I've had more than my fair share of weak caps in LCD monitors, for example, necessitating replacement with the equivalent 15cent Japanese caps.

This is due to the poor industrial espionage conducted in stealing capacitor recipes -- the morons involved neglected certain ingredients which would prevent hydrogen gas from building up and being vented. However, in your case, you no doubt have "weak capacitors", not blown ones.
Sprinkle a little of this on it.

[Image: RABBI-DUST.jpg]
Not even asking people on the internet seems to solve your problem... that's a special computer you have there.
I disagree - I've yet to hear a direct rebuttal or status update, but from what I can see of the kudos, I might be right.

Don't be so quick to think this thread is an utter failure.
(June 20, 2011 at 9:49 am)Darwinian Wrote: When I switch my PC on it boots up. Nothing strange there. However, if the PC has been turned off at the wall I have to switch it on at the wall/power socket and then wait a good 3 minutes before I can then actually turn the computer itself on. If I try to switch it on before the 3 minutes, nothing happens.

Explain that Undecided
I often ask myself *why something happens* whenever a turn on my 11-year old Tiny Windows Me laptop. No one has ever explained how that embarrassment still has the balls to boot up despite not even being capable of supporting broadband. <D

Okay, two questions:
1. How old is this computer we're talking about?
2. Is there is something acting up with your PSU or power lead?

You see I once had a similar issue with my extension leads because they were surge-protected or other, I did a PAT test and they checked out okay which was odd, it earthed, insulation was fine, wasn't until getting a new lead altogether did I resolve the "problem".
It's a quad core Acer Aspire with an AMD processor about two years old. I think Moros' explanation sounds the best but who knows? All I know is that I have to wait 3 mins after I have turned the power on at the wall before it will do anything.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Clearly there is some fatigue somewhere. I would examine the power mechanisms, in this case, the power supply. If it is really a problem, then attempt to replace the power supply. If that doesn't help, then call it a loss, unless, through visual inspection of the all capacitors, you find one or more that are "bulging" (if they were split open, your computer wouldn't work).