Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Here come the kids...
Here come the kids...
An online Christian group call "JL club" posted at the old forums, saying they wanted to debate us on Evolution vs Creation. Just so you know, they describe themselves as a group of Christian kids who believe in Creation. I told them that we would love to debate them here.

As they will probably be showing up soon, I think we should form a small team of people who can explain science and Evolution well. As they are "kids" and we want to patiently explain the theory, I think we should limit the debate to this "team" only, i.e. only team members would be able to post in the debate thread.

Perhaps we could even make a debate forum where pre-defined teams had civil discussions on topics?

What do you think of both ideas? If we go ahead with the "team" idea, I would propose a team of at maximum 3 people, otherwise everything might get out of hand. Obviously I want to be on the team, but if people think they can argue the case for Evolution better then please put yourselves forward Big Grin
RE: Here come the kids...
I think I'd be interested, I'm not an expert on many things but, my comments on youtube and similar locations have said I'm very balanced in opinions and patient.

Perhaps I can help out in another way if we find others that fit the bill better for the team.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Not really interested because I know I'll just lose it ... I don't really care how young and stupid they are (that's their problem).

I think if you're going to do this you should create a separate forum (section) in which it is understood only "authorised" members are allowed ... anywhere else and I'll just wade in (as I suspect will others).

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
I think other people can debate evolution better than me, so I'll let them claim spots, but if you find you need someone, I'll jumpi in.
"The way to see by faith is to shut the eye of reason." Benjamin Franklin

::Blogs:: Boston Atheism Examiner - Boston Atheists Blog | :Tongueodcast:: Boston Atheists Report
I don't really know evolution well enough.

Although I understand a lot of Dawkins fundamental arguments. About the improbability of God, how evolution is not about chance, burden of proof, etc.

I'd be less good at displaying sources for evidence of evolution and the like. I'd be better at saying "the burden of proof is on you, if you want evidence of evolution then go read about it. Even without evolution the burden of proof is 100% on you to give evidence of your creator, etc, etc. The only alternative to design isn't chance. Its evolution - and even without evolution you couldn't just assume God. Its better to leave something unknown until the actual evidence is in than to just "have faith". Faith is belief not based on evidence".

Etc, etc, etc.
I think the forum should be viewable by everyone but, only debaters can post. Then we can keep the area for future debates (one thread per debate so easy to keep track of) and only let those who are currently involved in a debate post.

EDIT: I look away for FIVE seconds and Adrian has already made such a section.
http://ca.youtube.com/user/DemonAuraProductions - Check out my videos if you have spare time.
Agnostic
Atheist
I Evolved!
Yeah, and I put you on the team debating the creationists Demonaura Big Grin

I can't make it so only debaters can post, but I have made it clear in the rules of the forum that this is to happen. We will simply delete comments by non-debaters and inform them through a PM not to do it Big Grin
Think you may be able to make a way, in future?
Big Grin Pick me! Pick me!
"The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

"In a society that has abolished all adventures, the only adventure left is to abolish society."
The Black Iron Prison
i thought this was exactly the sort of thing secondary groups were made for

(February 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm)Tiberius Wrote: I can't make it so only debaters can post, but I have made it clear in the rules of the forum that this is to happen. We will simply delete comments by non-debaters and inform them through a PM not to do it Big Grin
Hoi Zaeme.