Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 29, 2024, 4:40 am

Poll: Do the Smurfs provide a good model for society?
This poll is closed.
Yes, I raise my family/was raised with their values
0%
0 0%
They are an evil abomination and should be obliterated with blue fire.
80.00%
8 80.00%
Like Harry Potter, the Smurfs lead good children astray.
20.00%
2 20.00%
Smurfs? What are those?
0%
0 0%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do the Smurfs provide a good model for society? | BBC
Do the Smurfs provide a good model for society? | BBC

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-13878108
Yes, the BBC has a full page article on that age old question: do the Smurfs provide a good model for society? (Includes discussion of the UN film made against warfare on civilians where Smurfette is blown up in an aerial bombing raid.) - James
Keeping you informed of all the news that shouldn't be in print.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: Do the Smurfs provide a good model for society? | BBC
Recently a French author wrote a book about the inherent racism and tribal tendencies of Smurfs. Gargamel (the wizard that wants to kill the Smurfs) supposedly looks suspiciously Jewish and the only female Smurf is Blond, the bad smurfs are black and diseased. etc...
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
The smurfs are a cartoon where there are smurfs. So it's not realistic.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXUNqwyYZ64

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Of all the things that could be debated to create a good model for society, why the Smurfs?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
One female in the whole lot??? that's going to make for some AGGRESSIVE fucking males!
I hope Smurfett has Pepper-spray!

The answer is NO my friend.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Smurfs illustrate why agnosticism is just too much trouble. Yes if they do have any existence outside of a comic strip, I can't know. If it weren't so much bother I might come down firmly against the existence of smurfs. However, as with every other magical being whose existence is beyond knowing but dubious, I really just don't care.
I haven't done much research on this matter myself but Donnie Darko said they were good, so I'll just go with that.
[Image: YgZ8E.png]
(June 24, 2011 at 1:14 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXUNqwyYZ64

Give me middle grounds or give me warArgue

Luckly, I smurf my way around these thingsTongue
(June 24, 2011 at 6:23 am)leo-rcc Wrote: Recently a French author wrote a book about the inherent racism and tribal tendencies of Smurfs. Gargamel (the wizard that wants to kill the Smurfs) supposedly looks suspiciously Jewish and the only female Smurf is Blond, the bad smurfs are black and diseased. etc...

Smurfette, was created by Gargamel and originally had black hair, until she turned good; then her hair became blond.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Lightbulb Ours is a society that rewards sociopathy Macoleco 46 3640 September 13, 2019 at 7:09 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  Our society values blind optimism. MusicLovingAtheist 27 5692 October 22, 2014 at 10:38 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  close knitted society is good for mental health DramaQueen 3 1092 August 18, 2014 at 1:01 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  A case for cannibalism in society liam 83 29292 September 19, 2012 at 2:59 pm
Last Post: liam
  Materialism Is good for society freedomfighter 18 6470 August 12, 2012 at 9:42 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Thoughts on society and the human race TheYoungAtheist 82 21242 July 26, 2011 at 3:23 am
Last Post: Rayaan