Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 6:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Indoctrination
Indoctrination
One of the worst forms of child abuse is Indoctrination. You take a fresh brain and pump it with phrases like "YOUR A MUSLIM." "ALLAH IS ALL MIGHTY MUHAMMED IS HIS MESSENGER." "YOU WILL ROAST IN HELL IF YOU DON'T OBEY." All of this and more is psychologically damaging to children. I know when I was indoctrinated, I became utterly confused about so many things in life. Devil Hell was one of the main reasons I did anything for a good purpose to begin with. I literally only did good things as a child because I was scared of hell. I acted in an altruistic matter so that I could achieve paradise and only paradise. It made me selfish and not actually do things just for the sake of humanity's problems. I remember when I was in the 4th grade and I was actually having a debate with another child about drawing things and whether or not they were haram because it would be seen like "i'm playing god." I never even thought of the stupidity of that idea of me playing god considering the very school I was going to was "created" by people. This kid actually scared me into thinking drawing people is bad because of this. Later on a teacher had to straighten my mind lol. I also remember believing in God at a young age made me very shy for some reason. I found it extremely difficult to talk to girls and express how I felt about them because I knew I had to wait to marriage instead. When my teen years kicked in my laziness and impatience kicked in as well. Instead of praying 5 times a day, I did a little dance 5 times a day because I seriously didn't give a shit anymore. Instead of going to the mosque on Friday's, I'd go get some coca cola. Finally I got fed up with the mosque and started feeling even more confused about Islam. The same kid who told me drawing people is haram debated me again as an Atheist. He told me to prove atheism was accurate and correct. It felt like De Ja Vu when he told me this because I just finished watching some creationist religiotard talk about this on You Tube. I still have some anxiety problems from indoctrination, and I seem to get nervous whenever death is mentioned. I know heaven and hell is a ridiculous concept, but for some reason whenever death is mentioned, I can't help but feel a creepy chill.
What people need to do with their kids is teach them "how to think for themselves." To teach them that "there are many religions out there all thinking they're the true religion."
I know if I have a son or daughter, I won't fear them with this nonsense. Instead I'll let them analyze the evidence for themselves and I'm pretty sure they'll come up to the conclusion that Atheism is the way. Wink Shades
"God didn't make us in his image, we made him, her, and its in ours"
RE: Indoctrination
Good for you for breaking out of the cycle... you just need to be open to any eventuality.
Actually, there is no need to be open to the ridiculous.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Just stick to Occam's Razer. Opt for the simplest explanation until there is evidence for a more complex one.

I use Occam's Razer in most things in life Big Grin. Stick to the simplest answers and solutions until there is more reason and benefit for a more complex one.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(June 30, 2011 at 2:51 pm)Ace Otana Wrote: Just stick to Occam's Razer. Opt for the simplest explanation until there is evidence for a more complex one.

I use Occam's Razer in most things in life Big Grin. Stick to the simplest answers and solutions until there is more reason and benefit for a more complex one.

Lol thanks Ace...forgot about Occam's Razor..I read it when I finished the great book of Christopher Hitchens "God is not Great."

Hm..so an example of Occam's Razor would be "Orange juice comes from oranges." Later on however I realize the process to make Orange juice is more complex through evidence and requires a stronger explanation. Does it work this way? Correct me if I'm wrong..I've only come across Occam's Razor in books and no one actually explained it to me.
(June 30, 2011 at 2:57 pm)adam_1992p Wrote: Lol thanks Ace...forgot about Occam's Razor..I read it when I finished the great book of Christopher Hitchens "God is not Great."

Hm..so an example of Occam's Razor would be "Orange juice comes from oranges." Later on however I realize the process to make Orange juice is more complex through evidence and requires a stronger explanation. Does it work this way? Correct me if I'm wrong..I've only come across Occam's Razor in books and no one actually explained it to me.

You got it.

Another way to put it: When someone claims that there are ghosts making noises in an old house, the simplest explanation is that they are mistaken.
The simplest explanation is most often correct.
Always go with the explanation requiring the fewest assumptions. With religion, there's tons of baseless assumptions and is far too complicated, thus making it far more likely to be incorrect.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
(June 30, 2011 at 3:05 pm)Ace Otana Wrote:
(June 30, 2011 at 2:57 pm)adam_1992p Wrote: Lol thanks Ace...forgot about Occam's Razor..I read it when I finished the great book of Christopher Hitchens "God is not Great."

You got it.

Another way to put it: When someone claims that there are ghosts making noises in an old house, the simplest explanation is that they are mistaken.
The simplest explanation is most often correct.
Always go with the explanation requiring the fewest assumptions. With religion, there's tons of baseless assumptions and is far too complicated, thus making it far more likely to be incorrect.

Fuck lol that makes so much more sense. WorshipWorshipWorshipWorship
Quote:the simplest explanation is that they are mistaken.

The simplest explanation is that they are fucking nuts.
(June 30, 2011 at 3:11 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:the simplest explanation is that they are mistaken.

The simplest explanation is that they are fucking nuts.

That is true to some extend minimalist but we have to not lose hope. We need to find a way to make them use reasoning. We need to get them to stop worshiping this thing FSM Grin like this Worship ROFLOL
I love Occam's Razer, religion doesn't last long against it.

Another good example:

You saw a dark/shady object move through the forest in the distance.
Your assumptions:
*It was a ghost.
*It was a monster running from something.
*It was Jesus running from the Romans
*It was a giant butterly.

Now for the two simplest explanations:
*It was a dark/shady object. You have no evidence to assume it was anything other than a dark/shady object.
*You were hallucinating.