Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Painful Delusions.
Painful Delusions.
I am back from working in Glasgow. I had been there for a week and it is nice to see quite a few new faces around.

As I sip on this here beer, I think back to a conversation I had with a women I worked with. She is a church going elderly women and spoke to me about her trips to africa a couple of years ago.

One thing we spoke about worried me about the state of her mental health.
She spoke of a group of about 10 people who were rather poor and lived in a very remote area, but every Sunday they would put on their best clothes and go to church... However, their nearest church was a 15 hour journey away on foot. They would do this every week. The women would wear high heels and walk the full distance in them until their feet bled just because they had so much faith that if they didn't then God would punish them.

The thing that worried me the most was how the women I was speaking to actually saw the whole mad ritual as a good thing and that they were right in doing so.

A god who requires you to actually cause harm to yourself to reach salvation is one that does not deserve respect.

Any thought?
Cunt
RE: Painful Delusions.
Other than how fucked up people's heads can get in the service of delusion?

No.
Trying to update my sig ...
Quote:She spoke of a group of about 10 people who were rather poor and lived in a very remote area, but every Sunday they would put on their best clothes and go to church

Sounds like most of Mississippi.
lol, Min beat me to it.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
You don't really get that kind of stuff here in Scotland, although I did have a fun debate with a man in the city centre of Glasgow handing out leaflets saying that "God communicates with us". He was very moronic.
Cunt
[Image: mbcogicSUN1_t607.jpg]

"Praise Jebus, Motherfucker!"
Where in Scotland do you live, Frankie? I've spent a fair bit of time there, mostly outside of Edinburgh.
Dundee... But to be more exact, Broughty Ferry
Cunt
Very cool. I have friends in Perth and Aberfeldy.
All I can say is that's incredibly sad that they waste their energy just to pray to God.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Great Delusions Zero 2 1913 February 18, 2011 at 12:56 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko