Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parasites and sex
Parasites and sex
A quite interesting article, this might explain why sex became so successful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14046316
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Parasites and sex
I have obtained the Science paper so y'alls can read it.

Science Article Wrote:Sex is hard to explain. Since males can’t reproduce by themselves and often contribute nothing except genes to offspring, a population of asexual females can grow at double the rate of a population that reproduces sexually ( 1). Why then, given this “cost of males,” do most plants and animals indulge in biparental sex? One possible solution is that sex accelerates adaptation; the Red Queen hypothesis, for example, proposes that sex gives plants and animals an edge in the never-ending battle against their coevolving parasites (2–4). Although researchers have collected empirical field data consistent with the Red Queen hypothesis from a range of natural host-parasite systems, direct experimental evidence that coevolving para-sites select for sex in their hosts has proven elusive. On page 216 of this issue, Morran et al. ( 5) pin down some of that direct evidence.
REF: http://www.sendspace.com/file/oheavi
See girls? We're doing you a favor!
Only by acting as a genetic carrier.

Technically, two cross-fertilizing female organisms would accomplish double the results.

Which makes me wonder, with this hypothesis in context, are males only a genetic carrier and nothing else?
Genetic carrier isn't such a bad job description. Important stuff, hauling around genes. Maybe I should show this to the wife, be a great dodge come time to do the dishes.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(July 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Technically, two cross-fertilizing female organisms would accomplish double the results.

Which is why it is so important you humans figure out how to do it Heart Cutting down on the male population could only be a good thing Wink
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
(July 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Only by acting as a genetic carrier.

Technically, two cross-fertilizing female organisms would accomplish double the results.

Which makes me wonder, with this hypothesis in context, are males only a genetic carrier and nothing else?

Technically, two organisms that can cross fertilized would be called hermophrodites, not females, and there are many examples of such organisms in different kingdoms of life.

However, there are drawbacks to the hermophrodites solution because that make it difficult for the two collaborating organisms to specialize in roles or pursue different mating strategies.
(July 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote:
(July 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Technically, two cross-fertilizing female organisms would accomplish double the results.

Which is why it is so important you humans figure out how to do it Heart Cutting down on the male population could only be a good thing Wink

If you like to enjoy impotence as well as yeast infection, then I say you've got the makings hermophrodites.

Genetic carrier, grocery carrier, emotional carrier ... we have a few functions left.
Trying to update my sig ...
(July 12, 2011 at 8:24 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote: Only by acting as a genetic carrier.

(July 12, 2011 at 11:55 pm)Epimethean Wrote: Genetic carrier, grocery carrier, emotional carrier ... we have a few functions left.

Perhaps you are only that from an evolutionary point of view, but imagine a world without men.. The only reason I'm not in a relationship with a woman is because I couldn't stand the nagging and constant talk about emotions all the time. Big Grin Men are fantastic creatures, be proud! Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

(July 12, 2011 at 9:56 pm)Aerzia Saerules Arktuos Wrote:

Ah, but with 7 billion humans, we hardly need to double our fertility rate! It would be much better, and much more survival-oriented then if we had a population of about 90% males or infertile beings and maybe 10% or even 5% fertile females.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another one flying in the faces of creationist - Neanderthal and Homo Sapiens had sex abaris 8 1544 June 23, 2015 at 4:39 am
Last Post: Cyberman