Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Book of Us v. Them | Portland (Ore.) Mercury
The Book of Us v. Them | Portland (Ore.) Mercury
An article from last year in the Portland (Oregon) Mercury a friend sent me, called "The Book of Us versus Them" subtitled "A Christian Guide to Other Inferior Religions That Will Obviously Burn in Hell."

It goes into some of the justifications for hatred in the Bible, from a tongue-in-cheek perspective.

The thing is, it would be funny if it weren't true: I really know people that think and act like this. They're scary to a poor heathen like me.

James.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."
RE: The Book of Us v. Them | Portland (Ore.) Mercury
I'd say they pretty much nailed those religions. The unfortunate part is that as satirical as this is meant to be, it is based on reality, and when people act like this, it is scary to all of us heathens.

Maybe you should ask them to do Wiccans next.Tongue
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
One man's Satire is another man's Fundamentalism. Fun read and yet I agree it is scary when there are elements within religious communities who do seriously think like that.

There needs to be a book 2 installment so as to cover Wicca, all manner of Paganism, Hinduism, Santeria, Voodoo, etc...

I do like the picture with Jesus reading the Koran, as if he's a bit concerned what with the eyebrows downcast like that. Must be reading about himself in those select Sura. Tongue
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
(July 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: One man's Satire is another man's Fundamentalism. Fun read and yet I agree it is scary when there are elements within religious communities who do seriously think like that.

There needs to be a book 2 installment so as to cover Wicca, all manner of Paganism, Hinduism, Santeria, Voodoo, etc...

I do like the picture with Jesus reading the Koran, as if he's a bit concerned what with the eyebrows downcast like that. Must be reading about himself in those select Sura. Tongue

I wrote the author an E-mail and asked him to do that second installment. I like satire, even when I am the target. I'd like to see how he handles it.

"Be ye not lost amongst Precept of Order." - Book of Uterus, 1:5, "Principia Discordia, or How I Found Goddess and What I Did to Her When I Found Her."

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Finish them......... fatality. Brian37 5 1031 May 18, 2022 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Star Trek - seen them all? onlinebiker 22 1837 February 6, 2020 at 5:36 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Read any good books lately? Rate them here Ravenshire 505 69850 October 13, 2019 at 9:30 pm
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Favorite Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book? ƵenKlassen 1 446 November 19, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  Whats your favourite book and why? downbeatplumb 95 11161 November 24, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Malazan Book of the Fallen SofaKingHigh 0 407 November 2, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: SofaKingHigh
  Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series! Aroura 8 1913 September 13, 2015 at 10:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  The Book of Mormon Minimalist 1 800 July 31, 2015 at 1:31 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  question about atheist book nemo123 2 1267 June 16, 2013 at 9:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Fifty Shades of Grey in contention for the British National Book Award Justtristo 0 1147 November 14, 2012 at 12:43 am
Last Post: Justtristo