Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 9:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series!
Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series!
I just saw a preview for this, and I cannot tell you how excited I am!!

My mother gave me this book in my tweens, and it really got me hooked on reading Sci-fi.  It also, I now believe, planted some of my first real deep seeds of doubt in religion.  If you asked me my favorite sci-fi novel, 30 years later, I would still list this book, as it had such a profound impact on me.

The trailer really looks faithful tot he story.  It;s a 6 part miniseries, and it looks like the it will follow the first part of the book closely.  I think religious people will also be drawn in by the "rapture-ish/doomsday" feel of the story.

Is anyone else a fan of Clarke and this book?    Is anyone else excited to see this turned int oa "hopefully" good movie, for wider audience consumption?
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
RE: Childhood's End: A.C Clark's book turned in to a Syfi series!
I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but isn't that the same network that bought us "Sharktopus"?
(September 13, 2015 at 2:55 am)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, but isn't that the same network that bought us "Sharktopus"?

Yes, yes it is, lol.  But they also had some decent and even interesting shows. So...I'm just crossing my fingers and hope they don't wreck this story!

And you know, even if they do...then the story will be out in the visual media, and someone might remake it better.  One can always hope. Smile
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead
I saw the trailer for this, watching Z nation the other night.  It kind of reminded me of Torchwood: Children of Earth. I'll check it out. 

You can't judge a network by it's Sharktopus. Or Sharknados.
Torchwood; Children of Earth had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever encountered in sci-fi:

The British government discussing which children would go to the 456.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

The only one of his I read was Cradle, I think, when I was in high school. I remember enjoying it, but I never bothered to read more of his.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
The stuff with Gentry Lee is horrid pap.
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(September 13, 2015 at 10:08 am)vorlon13 Wrote: Torchwood; Children of Earth had one of the most disturbing scenes I've ever encountered in sci-fi:

The British government discussing which children would go to the 456.

It was pretty uncomfortable to watch. I couldn't help but think about the fact that decisions are likely made in such a manner all of the time. Minus the aliens, of course.
The aliens didn't really care which kids they got, but boy oh boy, what a shit hemorrhage for the adults trying to decide which kids to send.

Who would Darwin want us to send ?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Profiles In Courage TV Series Kernel Sohcahtoa 0 411 April 12, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  What's your the best old TV series from the 80's? KittyAnn 37 4408 December 10, 2017 at 1:37 am
Last Post: AFTT47
  Best anime series and anime movie in the world ErGingerbreadMandude 26 4275 November 20, 2017 at 4:36 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Favorite Diary of a Wimpy Kid Book? ƵenKlassen 1 445 November 19, 2017 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  The Expanse (SyFy series) Alex K 21 2522 April 4, 2017 at 3:53 pm
Last Post: Crunchy
  TV series-- Legion bennyboy 8 1090 February 28, 2017 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: The Industrial Atheist
  Whats your favourite book and why? downbeatplumb 95 11139 November 24, 2016 at 6:50 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Malazan Book of the Fallen SofaKingHigh 0 407 November 2, 2016 at 10:36 am
Last Post: SofaKingHigh
  New X-Files mini series discussion Foxaèr 90 12905 February 23, 2016 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Great video series. Jehanne 0 624 February 5, 2016 at 8:05 pm
Last Post: Jehanne