Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: March 19, 2024, 1:22 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New York City Atheists Upset With Street Sign Containing The Word "Heaven"
New York City Atheists Upset With Street Sign Containing The Word "Heaven"
[Image: new-york-city-atheists-upset-street-sign-containin]
Some New York City atheists are upset with the use of the "H" word. They're offended with the city using the word "Heaven" on a street sign and they're planning to file a lawsuit.

By CNN
Published: July 06, 2011
Full Article

I've not found any links that relate to updates about this July 6th story. However, I think it's absurd to take issue with this sign. If those 7 brave firemen were Christian then their faith led them to believe if they perished to the flames, they'd be in Heaven. It may indeed all be based on faith however, those 7 hero's held to their duty and their honor as firefighters to rush into a building in the hopes of saving lives, when everyone else was screaming and running to save their own. These men perished in the attempt and many in NYC still grieve at the thought. To think atheism, atheists, have a right to deny these men of memory this simple sign post that remembers their sacrifice for everyone involved and suffering on 9-11, is ridiculously heartless and insecure.

I think a radical group is simply seeking a way to make waves over every little thing in order to get atheism in the news and push for their personal individual agenda that intends no thing related to religion is entitled to freely appear in public, without being attacked by some atheists who think it's wrong for it to appear at all. They give a bad name to atheism by setting themselves as an example of extremists, while at the same time they like to think they're opposed to religious extremism.

This proposed lawsuit is an assholes move. I hope they choke on it and get laughed out of any court that would let them on the docket.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
RE: New York City Atheists Upset With Street Sign Containing The Word "Heaven"
Don't people have something better to DO with their lives?
They probably go by the mantra the squeaky wheel gets the oil. it works for Islam.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(July 19, 2011 at 1:06 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: They probably go by the mantra the squeaky wheel gets the oil. it works for Islam.
And just look at what most people think of Muslims, for it.

"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
I thought we were better than this...
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
No one ever said just because your an atheist you cant be an asshole.

(July 19, 2011 at 1:17 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote: I thought we were better than this...

Just because you're an atheist (or some other brand of freethinker) doesn't mean your rational. It just means you don't have a specific irrational belief.

As for the issue, it may help to do some substitution and see how it works

"Olympus Way"
"Valhalla Way"
"Nirvana Way"
"Happy Hunting Grounds Way"

I'd be fine with living on any of these streets and wouldn't feel as if someone were forcing religion on me.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist
My wife would want to live in 'happy hunting grounds way' is there such a place?

(July 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: No one ever said just because your an atheist you cant be an asshole.

Like me? Tongue

But really, get over it.
Quote:"An individual has not started living until he can rise above the narrow confines of his individualistic concerns to the broader concerns of all humanity. "
Martin Luther King, Jr.
(July 19, 2011 at 1:38 pm)HeyItsZeus Wrote:
(July 19, 2011 at 1:25 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: No one ever said just because your an atheist you cant be an asshole.

Like me? Tongue

But really, get over it.

Did it come over that I meant you? coz I didntWink Shades

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheist Street Pirates Fake Messiah 0 1010 March 4, 2022 at 11:20 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  New York Gov Cuomo charged with sexual harrasment/hostile work environment onlinebiker 55 5953 August 5, 2021 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Clergy told to take on the 'new atheists' leo-rcc 17 4571 September 4, 2011 at 3:49 pm
Last Post: MilesTailsPrower