Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 18, 2024, 10:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antimatter belt around Earth discovered by Pamela craft
Antimatter belt around Earth discovered by Pamela craft
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14405122

Doesnt anti-matter go bang!!!!!Confusedhock:

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

RE: Antimatter belt around Earth discovered by Pamela craft
Goddidit.

Big Grin
Always wondered about that South Atlantic Anomaly. Thinking
Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Fascinating.
And what happens? The first thought after the theory arrives is, how can we exploit it?
I love humans.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy
(August 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: Fascinating.
And what happens? The first thought after the theory arrives is, how can we exploit it?
I love humans.

Not necessarily a bad thing. I'm quite glad we exploit sunlight and turn it into energy by means of solar cells, etc.

[Image: Evolution.png]

(August 7, 2011 at 8:50 pm)Cinjin Wrote:
(August 7, 2011 at 5:25 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: Fascinating.
I love humans.

Not necessarily a bad thing. I'm quite glad we exploit sunlight and turn it into energy by means of solar cells, etc.
Sure, and I agree. Just like Geothermal energy, etc...
I find it fascinating however, that no matter what we discover, it seems as if the first thought isn't fascination, admiration, appreciation. It's exploitation. How can we use this to make a profit? How can we market this, patent this, how can we use this for fuel, for energy, so that there's another costly resource available?

(August 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: I find it fascinating however, that no matter what we discover, it seems as if the first thought isn't fascination, admiration, appreciation. It's exploitation. How can we use this to make a profit? How can we market this, patent this, how can we use this for fuel, for energy, so that there's another costly resource available?

You seem to have gotten "first thought" mixed up with "applications to society."

You also seem to have made a wide, sweeping generalization about research and it's applications, the people and actions taken.

But please, let's not let facts stand in the way of a good rant. Wink
(August 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: Sure, and I agree. Just like Geothermal energy, etc...
I find it fascinating however, that no matter what we discover, it seems as if the first thought isn't fascination, admiration, appreciation. It's exploitation. How can we use this to make a profit? How can we market this, patent this, how can we use this for fuel, for energy, so that there's another costly resource available?

I fail to see the problem. Physicists have been aware of the potential of a matter/antimatter as a fuel (100% conversion of matter to energy) ever since the possibility of the existence of antimatter was realized. The problem is that antimatter is incredibly expensive to produce. The LHC could run for 10,000 years and the amount of antimatter produced wouldn’t fill a thimble. However if you could fill a thimble it could power a spaceship to other stars.

Now here we have confirmed that a potentially usable source of antimatter literally surrounds the planet. Yet for some reason it is a problem that people want to use it.

*shakes head, scratches ass and wonders off to the next thread…

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
(August 7, 2011 at 10:23 pm)Moros Synackaon Wrote:
(August 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: I find it fascinating however, that no matter what we discover, it seems as if the first thought isn't fascination, admiration, appreciation. It's exploitation. How can we use this to make a profit? How can we market this, patent this, how can we use this for fuel, for energy, so that there's another costly resource available?

You seem to have gotten "first thought" mixed up with "applications to society."

You also seem to have made a wide, sweeping generalization about research and it's applications, the people and actions taken.

But please, let's not let facts stand in the way of a good rant. Wink

Clap Oh wow, that's a barb that missed by a mile. Nahhh, why bother to read the import of everything I said so as to put things together when cheap jabs entertain you so much more for your trouble.

Happy to be your hobby. ROFLOL

(August 7, 2011 at 11:06 pm)popeyespappy Wrote:
(August 7, 2011 at 9:14 pm)Judas BentHer Wrote: Sure, and I agree. Just like Geothermal energy, etc...

I fail to see the problem. Physicists have been aware of the potential of a matter/antimatter as a fuel (100% conversion of matter to energy) ever since the possibility of the existence of antimatter was realized. The problem is that antimatter is incredibly expensive to produce. The LHC could run for 10,000 years and the amount of antimatter produced wouldn’t fill a thimble. However if you could fill a thimble it could power a spaceship to other stars.

Now here we have confirmed that a potentially usable source of antimatter literally surrounds the planet. Yet for some reason it is a problem that people want to use it.

*shakes head, scratches ass and wonders off to the next thread…
I didn't say it was a problem. I made the observation that our first thought is , well forget it. I'm not going to qualify my opinion. What I said regarding Geothermal, just go ahead and ignore that. I.e. No problem!

And too bad about your itchy ass. They created soap centuries ago to solve that problem. And Preparation H, just last century. Pick one. (pun, fully realized)
So they're thinking some application like; Fly some space craft in between the van allen belt, pull all the antiprotons into a chamber contained by a magnetic field and then release them slowly into a chamber of protons to release energy?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 5671 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 17988 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Is basing society around selfishness wise (Adam Smith etc) Duty 14 1616 October 29, 2020 at 12:05 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Geocentric Earth Haipule 174 26296 September 1, 2018 at 8:13 pm
Last Post: Haipule
  Body Of Water Discovered On Mars A Theist 4 949 July 26, 2018 at 6:32 am
Last Post: A Theist
  Seven temperate terrestrial planets around the nearby ultracool dwarf star TRAPPIST-1 pocaracas 52 7162 February 25, 2017 at 1:26 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Possible 5th fundamental force discovered? Anomalocaris 7 1759 August 18, 2016 at 4:29 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Earth-Like Planet around Proxima? Alex K 30 4373 August 14, 2016 at 4:13 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Temperatures on Earth lifesagift 15 3226 November 27, 2014 at 7:42 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Any Funeral Directors Around Here? lezbehonest 2 1257 August 22, 2014 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: Minimalist