Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 5:36 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why I Love Reading the Sunday Paper
Why I Love Reading the Sunday Paper
Two stories which appeared within 2 pages of each other in today's Arizona Republic.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic...s0821.html

Quote:For 50 years, scientists have debated whether the components of DNA - the molecule central to all life on Earth - could spontaneously form in space. A new analysis of a dozen meteorites found in Antarctica and elsewhere presents the strongest evidence yet that the answer is yes.

Meteorites are space rocks that have fallen to the ground, and the new report bolsters the notion that heavy meteorite bombardment of the early Earth may have seeded the planet with the stuff of life.

"Meteorites may have served as a molecular kit providing essential ingredients for the origin of life on Earth and possibly elsewhere," wrote the authors of the recent report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
For 50 years, scientists have debated whether the components of DNA - the molecule central to all life on Earth - could spontaneously form in space. A new analysis of a dozen meteorites found in Antarctica and elsewhere presents the strongest evidence yet that the answer is yes.

Meteorites are space rocks that have fallen to the ground, and the new report bolsters the notion that heavy meteorite bombardment of the early Earth may have seeded the planet with the stuff of life.

"Meteorites may have served as a molecular kit providing essential ingredients for the origin of life on Earth and possibly elsewhere," wrote the authors of the recent report in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

But then...apparently fearful of antagonizing the morons who run around unsupervised out here....they printed this.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic...k0820.html

Quote:HEBRON, Ky. - Tucked away in a nondescript office park in northern Kentucky, Noah's followers are rebuilding his ark.

But the highlight ( lowlight?) of this story is this line:

Quote:There are a handful of replica arks around the world, but Zovath said this one will be authentic.

An "authentic" recreation of a fictitious boat? What's next? An authentic "Death Star" from the Star Wars aficionados?

One step forward, two steps back.

RE: Why I Love Reading the Sunday Paper
Well, we wouldn't make it a perfect replica.

I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
That's great!

Quote:An "authentic" recreation of a fictitious boat? What's next? An authentic "Death Star" from the Star Wars aficionados?

Perhaps 'authentic' in terms of building it according to the instructions in the Torah?

What's gopher wood,and what's the bet they are not quite sure of the actual length of a cubit?

I can understand how a tribe of dessert dwelling,bronze age nomadic goat herders could imagine there are only a few dozen species of animal,but-----
(August 21, 2011 at 7:32 pm)padraic Wrote: I can understand how a tribe of dessert dwelling,bronze age nomadic goat herders could imagine there are only a few dozen species of animal,but-----

Perhaps they could take two of each phyla though they'd have to rely somewhat on evolution in the event of a global flood.
What a waste of 800 acres. Undecided
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(August 21, 2011 at 8:05 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: What a waste of 800 acres. Undecided

What, farmland?
Prime moonshine production area, no doubt.
(August 21, 2011 at 3:42 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:Meteorites are space rocks that have fallen to the ground, and the new report bolsters the notion that heavy meteorite bombardment of the early Earth may have seeded the planet with the stuff of life.

There’s one thing I never understood about this theory. If the Earth was formed from the same disk of materials as the meteorites, why was it necessary for the early Earth to be seeded? The same materials should already have been here.

Save a life. Adopt a greyhound.
[Image: JUkLw58.gif]
Choice between shine and an ark.....shine.
You're looking at seeding, or any start, as a "one cause to rule them all". This may not be the case. Better to consider seeding as another vector for the requirements of life.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Interesting Paper Minimalist 0 650 August 18, 2013 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Mind reading is here people! downbeatplumb 3 1300 February 2, 2012 at 3:58 pm
Last Post: Doubting Thomas