Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 23, 2024, 3:47 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Im surrounded by idiots.
Im surrounded by idiots.
As ive stated before im in my senior year of high school at a christian school. And your senior year you have to take apologetics to learn "defend the faith." Well, even though Ive made my atheistic views really clear i have to take it anyway. After the first day of school I can see why. EVERYONE is going to try to convert me.
Now Ill be honest my attitude used to be one of "people can beileve whatever they want its fine with me." But the sheer stupidity of the conversations that occured today literally made me want to slap someone. Case in point: I asked them why do they believe that Jesus was God's son and furthermore why even believe in a God at all. Answer:its in the bible. Okay why do you believe the bible? Answer:Because you just have to believe!!! God wants faith! Just trust in him and stop trying to come up with excuses! Do you want to go to hell? Literally, my teacher said this.
It was at this moment I had to hold back all the horrible things I wanted to say to them but I held it back and simply said "With all due respect that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard." and I still got in trouble. Extra homework
So this story brings me to my question WHAT THE FUCK DO I DO?!?!?!?!? My grandmother tells me(shes a christian) to just not discuss things in there and be silent. (She knows and respects my beliefs and we rarely talk about it at home.) But i cant be silent because they ASK me questions! and im sorry but Im not gonna say "Because God says so and hes my butt buddy." Which is the standard answer.
Anyway this turned into a rant and you guys probably wont even read it but still it helps to be able to talk to rational people. even if they are on the interent. its gonna be a long year.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
RE: Im surrounded by idiots.
I won't read it? On the contrary. I find your plight very interesting as do many of us on this site. I have been where you are now and I definitely know the frustration you are feeling.

I wouldn't do as your grandmother suggests. Every time they throw religion in your face - redirect. Come right back at them with a fantastic Bible contradiction. There's so many that eventually they'll start steering clear of confrontation with you.

Meanwhile, get educated on everything secular and come prepared for battle when you go to bible class. My best advice though, always redirect. Always bring them back to their own Bible. It'll be their own Bible that will shut them up. Don't get too tied up on the ins and outs of evolution. That's a difficult topic to cover unless you're well-versed in science. Its easy for a science teacher to razzle dazzle the other students with nonsense while you sit there unable to refute him. Always bring them back to the stupidity of their ancient book written by desert goat-herders turned self-proclaimed prophets.

Get educated though. Go to skeptics annotated bible .com and do some copying and printing. Start soaking it up and keep the Bible references handy so that you don't look like you're making shit up.
You can do it man ... and maybe in the process, you'll free one or two of the other enslaved youths.

Min, give him this guy some good ammo to use.
[Image: Evolution.png]

If you studied harder in your theology classes you'd have been able to set them all straight. Or does this school of yours ban bible study?
Yeah thanks guys. Min already recomended jesus interupted which i have read and will definetly be using some of that this year.
To frodo, its funny because our schoik rarely studies the bible to see what it means. We learn alot about the problems with other beliefs so it seems like christianity is the only sensible one. I must admit they are good at doing it too. Until you actually start to think that is.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
(August 23, 2011 at 11:36 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: Yeah thanks guys. Min already recomended jesus interupted which i have read and will definetly be using some of that this year.
To frodo, its funny because our schoik rarely studies the bible to see what it means. We learn alot about the problems with other beliefs so it seems like christianity is the only sensible one. I must admit they are good at doing it too. Until you actually start to think that is.

Searchingforanswers I would recommend reading material which would help you to argue why you don't believe the bible is the word of god.

These works will helped you get started and more than enough to deal with your average Christian.

The Bible Unearthed by Finkelstein and Silberman,
Jesus Interrupted by Bart Ehrman
Forged by Bart Ehrman
Jesus Misquoted by Bart Ehrman
Babylonian and Sumerian Myths such as Gilgamesh, Enuma Elish, DESCENT OF THE GODDESS ISHTAR INTO THE LOWER WORLD, Adapa and the Food of Life and the Seven Evil Spirits

Also I would also recommend reading up on Zoroastrianism which influenced Judaism and later Christianity, especially on the whole battle between the forces of good and evil thing.

Send me your email via a personal message and I can send you those Babylonian and Sumerian myths apart from Gilgamesh.
undefined
Quote:"With all due respect that is the stupidest thing ive ever heard." and I still got in trouble. Extra homework

Do the homework. Hand it in. And tell your fuckhead "teacher" ( in quotes because he is not there to teach but preach ) that it is still the stupidest thing you ever heard.

It's August. If you have to put up with their fucking bullshit for a whole year you'll go nuts. Stupid people are impervious to reason. I don't know why we put up with Frods.
(August 23, 2011 at 11:54 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Do the homework. Hand it in. And tell your fuckhead "teacher" ( in quotes because he is not there to teach but preach ) that it is still the stupidest thing you ever heard.

Agreed. In fact it's even more of a fuck you if you ace their silly tests while simultaneously telling them its hocus pocus bull shit. Plus, learning about their silly religion will only give you more ammunition to use in the future.

lol, try to think of it as deep undercover recon. You're in the heart of the beast.

[Image: Evolution.png]

If that happened to me, this is what I would do:

I would write to our biggest newspapers in the community and force a debate to take place over the insanity of "teaching" religion this way. I would contact the head master, secular organizations, anyone who can back you up, and fight to get a decent and sensible education, that doesn't take your (lack of) beliefs into consideration. I don't know about your laws, but that is discrimination, and it just shouldn't happen. Your grades should be based on your scholarly prowess, not on how much you pray and believe. I would still study the subject, it can never hurt to get a little "intel" about your enemy.

Now, I have the luxury to have grown up in a quite secular (though not nearly enough, in my opinion) society, so this method could work. But somehow I'm guessing that the authorities in your community might be religious idiots themselves, not willing to listen to what you have to say. Hang in there dude, and if you need to vent, we will be here and listen. May the odds be in your favour. Wink
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Lol I like the responses here, although in all honesty I'd probably try and do what Kayenneh said. Get the fuck out of there. I really would not cope, although, I would actually very much enjoy arguing with them. Sounds fun actually... Hmmm, decisions decisions. Tricky.

At the very least if you really can't get out of that pisshole, make sure those stupid cunts know the bare knuckle fist of reason.
The thing is, no school likes bad PR. For instance, I was on the verge of beating the crap out of one of my bullies when he just went over the line, but I stayed my hand and drew a smiley on his shirt instead (don't asked why, I was high on adrenaline back then Big Grin). Of course I had to talk to our head mistress, who asked me something about who was supposed to pay for the cleaning bill, I just looked at her and said: "Well, when we figure out how he's gonna be able to repay me for years of mental torment, then I'm willing to discuss the cleaning bill." When she hadn't answered me in a minute I just left. So, know what your fighting for and don't let them grind you into the ground. Be sensible and keep your cool. And threaten them just a bit. The human is a pack animal after all, and will respond to an alpha Wink Shades
Your education is important SFA, don't let them fuck it up for you!
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What do i do im surrounded by christians and they want to change me? Asyrel 35 5041 November 10, 2016 at 10:49 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That. Minimalist 19 3749 February 25, 2016 at 5:38 am
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  Fucking Idiots Minimalist 30 8348 October 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: nogodchick
  Idiots Flock To A Tree..... Minimalist 43 21193 July 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: FemmeRealism