Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 3:28 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That.
Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That.
I do disagree with #5.  If xtianity could get away with it they would gladly tie evolutionary biologists to a stake and light 'em up.  Pricks.

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/02/more-tha...evolution/

Quote:More than ‘just a theory’: The five most common misunderstandings about evolution
RE: Creatards are Idiots. We Already Know That.
Missing the biggest misunderstanding of all:

"Who are you going to believe? A bunch of Scientists or God?"

The Bible isn't the word of god. No matter how much Christians wish it were so. So it's not God vs Scientists. It's a clear majority of the world's greatest scientific minds vs goat herders from ancient times who didn't know the first thing about germ theory, let alone about how humans came about.

The claim that the bible was inspired by god is entirely unproven. At most we have people claiming inspiration. Which is absolutely pointless. People can be inspired by all sorts of texts. The Bible happens to be influential because Christianity happens to be one of the largest religions in the world and has been for a significant period of time. If L. Ron Hubbard had peddled his bullshit 2000 years ago, and it became the most popular religion, then we'd be hearing the same arguments about Dianetics being the most inspiring text. It's that simple. Exposure is the reason for it having inspired so many. Often people will cite personal revelation. "I know these things to be true." That's essentially saying "I choose to ignore reality to live in my own little world.'

That these people were inspired by god is a claim that is unsupported. Instead of taking the claim at face value, everyone should inspect the claim and see if it stands up. It doesn't.

Let's start with the fact that we don't even know who wrote the bible. Even the first Christian Church likely didn't know the authors of the old testament. People are too trusting of nameless figures who claim to have been inspired by god, and not enough trust of evidence, reason, logic, and science. The church was not infallible by any means or measure. Yes, they probably spent a lot of time examining each of the texts. But that doesn't mean that they didn't get it all wrong. One thing about the church-- they didn't leave any room for people to review their decisions. Scientists do.

They believe because the bible remains constant in it's claims, that it's more reliable than science who change their claims. Somehow they don't get that science changes based on evidence. The more we learn, the more it changes. This is a fundamentally good thing.

If you're really looking for the answer to a question, you might change your mind several times over the course of investigation.

John, who maintains that Scarlett shot Mr. Green in the Library, never changing his believe even when the evidence points otherwise is not more reliable or more accurate than Jim who maintains that Ms. Scarlett shot Mr. Green in the Library until he discovers that there's evidence Mr. Green's body was moved to the library, and was shot elsewhere. He then finds a bullet casing in the kitchen, and maintains that Mr. Green was shot in the kitchen by Ms. Scarlett. And then when he discovers Ms. Scarlet was in the living room at the time of the shooting, he might look for another suspect. John however maintains Ms. Scarlett shot Mr. Green in the library because it gives the appearance of a crime scene. "The body was found there!" John says. "You can't prove Mrs. Scarlett was in the living room at the time, it's only a theory!" Jim brings up the bullet casing found in the kitchen, but John continues insisting that it was for another crime.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
Let me just state how amazed I am that people still take religion seriously enough to write articles about it, let alone try and make it compatible with evolution.
(February 23, 2016 at 12:25 am)Cecelia Wrote: Missing the biggest misunderstanding of all:

"Who are you going to believe?  A bunch of Scientists or God?"

The Bible isn't the word of god.  No matter how much Christians wish it were so.  So it's not God vs Scientists.  It's a clear majority of the world's greatest scientific minds vs goat herders from ancient times who didn't know the first thing about germ theory, let alone about how humans came about.  

The claim that the bible was inspired by god is entirely unproven.  At most we have people claiming inspiration.  Which is absolutely pointless.  People can be inspired by all sorts of texts.  The Bible happens to be influential because Christianity happens to be one of the largest religions in the world and has been for a significant period of time.  If L. Ron Hubbard had peddled his bullshit 2000 years ago, and it became the most popular religion, then we'd be hearing the same arguments about Dianetics being the most inspiring text.  It's that simple.  Exposure is the reason for it having inspired so many.  Often people will cite personal revelation.  "I know these things to be true."  That's essentially saying "I choose to ignore reality to live in my own little world.'

That these people were inspired by god is a claim that is unsupported.  Instead of taking the claim at face value, everyone should inspect the claim and see if it stands up.  It doesn't.  

Let's start with the fact that we don't even know who wrote the bible.  Even the first Christian Church likely didn't know the authors of the old testament.  People are too trusting of nameless figures who claim to have been inspired by god, and not enough trust of evidence, reason, logic, and science.  The church was not infallible by any means or measure.  Yes, they probably spent a lot of time examining each of the texts.  But that doesn't mean that they didn't get it all wrong.  One thing about the church-- they didn't leave any room for people to review their decisions.  Scientists do.  

They believe because the bible remains constant in it's claims, that it's more reliable than science who change their claims.  Somehow they don't get that science changes based on evidence.  The more we learn, the more it changes.  This is a fundamentally good thing.  

If you're really looking for the answer to a question, you might change your mind several times over the course of investigation.

John, who maintains that Scarlett shot Mr. Green in the Library, never changing his believe even when the evidence points otherwise is not more reliable or more accurate than Jim who maintains that Ms. Scarlett shot Mr. Green in the Library until he discovers that there's evidence Mr. Green's body was moved to the library, and was shot elsewhere.  He then finds a bullet casing in the kitchen, and maintains that Mr. Green was shot in the kitchen by Ms. Scarlett.  And then when he discovers Ms. Scarlet was in the living room at the time of the shooting, he might look for another suspect.  John however maintains Ms. Scarlett shot Mr. Green in the library because it gives the appearance of a crime scene.  "The body was found there!" John says.  "You can't prove Mrs. Scarlett was in the living room at the time, it's only a theory!"  Jim brings up the bullet casing found in the kitchen, but John continues insisting that it was for another crime.
An English committee wrote the Bible around the year 700 AD.  It didn't exist before then.  Later on other committees revised and formatted it into its current form.
(February 23, 2016 at 12:29 am)Excited Penguin Wrote: Let me just state how amazed I am that people still take religion seriously enough to write articles about it, let alone try and make it compatible with evolution.

They're serious enough around here to kill you for doubting their religion.
I have no problem with someone saying they don't understand the theory of evolution, and so they don't feel comfortable believing it. I would actually respect that a lot. It's intellectually honest.

What I don't respect is people who obviously don't understand it and have no intention of learning about it announcing it is "wrong"; usually inserting their own totally unsupported magical explanation in its place.

Theist (creationist) considers evolution: turns scepticism up to infinity.

Theist considers their personal favourite holy book: turns scepticism off completely.

But I'll take a scientifically literate theist anyday over an ignorant atheist, if I want to have a serious discussion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
I think I'm going to bow out of the evolution debate. I can't spend the rest of my life (or any meaningful portion of it) answering the same seven or eight objections to evolutionary theory by people who want to know why there are still monkeys in the world, or why dogs don't give birth to cats. I've explained the difference between 'theory' and 'fact' (and why evolution is both) until I'm blue in the face. I'm bone tired of pointing out that abiogenesis has nothing to do with biological evolution. I've had it up to HERE with people wanting to know why tornado + scrapyard = Boeing 747, and how Darwin didn't believe his own theories.

Creationists are still a danger and shouldn't be ignored, but I'll leave it to those with more patience than I can muster to deal with them.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson
[Image: zo8zr.jpg]
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
If man was made from dust - why is there still dust? Tongue
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(February 23, 2016 at 5:22 am)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I think I'm going to bow out of the evolution debate. I can't spend the rest of my life (or any meaningful portion of it) answering the same seven or eight objections to evolutionary theory by people who want to know why there are still monkeys in the world, or why dogs don't give birth to cats. I've explained the difference between 'theory' and 'fact' (and why evolution is both) until I'm blue in the face. I'm bone tired of pointing out that abiogenesis has nothing to do with biological evolution. I've had it up to HERE with people wanting to know why tornado + scrapyard = Boeing 747, and how Darwin didn't believe his own theories.

Creationists are still a danger and shouldn't be ignored, but I'll leave it to those with more patience than I can muster to deal with them.

Boru

Such people don't want to learn. They don't have scientific objections. The reason they fight against one very specific area of science while leaving the rest alone (even trying to co-opt it for their case) is that it makes them uncomfortable. It makes their beliefs look stupid. So they make it an issue, when there is no issue.

They want to carry on believing evolution is "wrong" somehow, and learning more about it does not help them with that goal. Continuing to misunderstand it, often intentionally I imagine, is how they cope.

It's really sad. At least on a public forum, onlookers can benefit from the discussion even when the recipient is totally closed minded and unwilling to learn anything.

But I'm with you, I've given up on many people. It's just not worth the effort. I'll save it for people who at least try and have an honest discussion.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Jesus already came (at lest for some) Fake Messiah 60 15287 July 22, 2017 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Washington Post Tries To Help Out Creatards and Ken Ham goes ballistic. Minimalist 12 3028 January 1, 2017 at 11:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  The Second Coming already happened??? Jehanne 30 4132 March 6, 2016 at 11:04 pm
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Fucking Idiots Minimalist 30 8350 October 29, 2014 at 6:01 pm
Last Post: nogodchick
  And now (if it weren't already blatant enough) we know... Lucanus 7 2673 August 23, 2014 at 1:35 pm
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Expect More Brick-Shitting From The Creatards Minimalist 2 826 August 1, 2014 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: Dystopia
  Remember, they're only signs from god if you already agree! Esquilax 14 4308 September 18, 2013 at 2:03 pm
Last Post: max-greece
  Attn: Christians, We've Heard Them Already DeistPaladin 409 186113 July 5, 2013 at 1:46 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Idiots Flock To A Tree..... Minimalist 43 21209 July 17, 2012 at 7:24 pm
Last Post: FemmeRealism
  Im surrounded by idiots. searchingforanswers 46 10538 August 25, 2011 at 1:36 pm
Last Post: Violet