Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 6:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Opportunity?
Opportunity?
I'm going to throw this out to members of the forums who have more experience with such things.

A few months back, I was resetting my PC to factory defaults when one of my daughters decided that she was going to pull the plug on my poor little workhorse. After much bitching and punishment I attempted to reboot the PC and have had to endure nothing but failure after failure to boot.

The thought recently struck me, could I make a boot disk for something like say Ubuntu and attempt to load that up instead? I'd love to be able to use my PC again, even if I have compatibility issues with all of the things I used to use it for (mostly gaming). I've always wanted to dick around with Ubuntu, is this my opportunity, or is my little beastie SOL?

Any advice (or condolences) would be greatly appreciated.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
RE: Opportunity?
Is the HDD still detected in the BIOS? If so have you tried to load safe mode?

Kind Regards,

Citereh
Kind Regards,

Citereh

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." - Blaise Pascal

"Men are nearly always willing to believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar

"Only two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein

You don't present much information mostly because you've kept it all simple but from what I understand you have simply erased the BIOS settings one way or the other. Sometimes the info in the BIOS is incoherent and does prevent you to boot, in which case I open up the computer, take out the little CR 2032 button battery and restart the puter, then turn it off some 10 seconds later and I put the battery back. That makes sure the memory where the BIOS settings are stored is cleared. But what you did may have just done that. Your BIOS needs a setup.

So now you go into the BIOS and configure at least your hard drives and CDROM/DVD and such with the storage configuration menu. Let it autodetect anything in case but make sure that the hard drives and CD/DVD roms are recognised and in the proper order. It may try to boot off from some non existing drive, because the BIOS still thinks there are none.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll go through them each and get back to you. I move like molasses on this kind of thing. I used to build the boards, but I have no idea how to operate the machine, ironic isn't it

(I would have given you guys more info if I had any idea wtf I was dealing with..lol)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Bug me Rhythm. I did IT for a fraternity. Nothing except industrial rated controllers survive there for more than a month.