Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 25, 2024, 5:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stepping Down
Stepping Down
This will not come as news to the staff team, but I thought I'd make an announcement to the rest of the community.

I've decided that 3 years is long enough for me, and so I'll be stepping down as both a forum administrator and a sysadmin for the site. I've seen the site go through more changes than any other member here; I was there when the ancestor forum was set up (atheistforum.com), and I was there when we did a mass migration to the current incarnation. Although I've tried to distance myself from the concept of "owning" the site, I've been behind most of the big decisions we've had to make.

The forum has evolved and grown in the last 3 years more than I ever could have imagined. However, I too have grown, and I've gradually become disillusioned with the place. Most of you are absolutely wonderful people; people I'd still love to meet someday and spend time with in the "real world". You guys are the reason we created the forums in the first place; for people to meet, share ideas, have civilized discussions, and become friends.

There are, however, people here who do not seem to think that this is how a community should function. They take pleasure in mocking people of other beliefs, have no desire to find out about why such beliefs are held, and are content with using fallacy after fallacy, as long as it gets their opponent to shut up and go away. Unfortunately, for all the good that most of you do here, these people make such a large impact on the forums that they are almost indistinguishable from the original place we set up.

We've long held that theists are more than welcome here; that we encourage discussion of their beliefs, as long as they (like everyone else), follow the rules. It has led most to a much better understanding of religious views than they ever would have got otherwise. We all have to share this world, and it makes more sense if we can do that as friends with disagreements than as enemies. I have nothing but respect for most of the theists here; to have to defend their beliefs time and time again, and yet still be part of the community.

I'm not going to delve into the specifics of why I've decided enough is enough, but I will say that I simply don't feel like I can be an active part of the forum anymore. There is a certain hostility to the place that I find very off-putting, and most of it I'm afraid to say comes from people who are much older than myself, yet somehow think it is wise to use horrendous insults, make ridiculous assumptions, and all the while patting each other on the back over a job well done. I certainly hope I never to get to the point in my life where I think that being a jerk is going to convince someone I'm right.

This isn't the only reason I'm "leaving". I'm at a new point in my life; I've got my first job, I'm moving into my own place, and I'm finding new things to be excited about. It's time for a big change.

So I'm resigning from the staff team, giving up my sysadmin rights to other more deserving people. I'll still be around on the forums from time to time I'm sure; I won't be abandoning you all like some previous (unnamed) members. I'll still hang out in the chatroom, I'll still participate in Google Hangouts or Skype calls, whichever you want to do. I'll still be there if people want to talk to me; I like talking.

It'll take a while for us to transfer all the stuff that is needed to run this place properly, so I'll be on the staff team for the next few weeks in all likelihood. theVOID and I are probably going to try and reinstall the forums and sort out a few bugs before I go, but that might happen later on. You'll have to suffer me for a bit more is what I'm trying to say!

Some concluding remarks: Thanks to everyone who has helped out in some way over the last three years; that includes people who have donated, who have served as staff, or have helped and welcomed new members. Thanks to those members who take the time to listen to people of different views to them; to discuss with them on equal terms, rather than resorting to ridicule. You are the reason these forums were started, and hopefully one day you might get them back to that point. Thanks to our theist members who put up with so much; it has been a pleasure listening to your stories, understanding your beliefs, and becoming good friends.

So long for now...

-Tiberius
(Adrian Hayter)
RE: Stepping Down
This is truly the end of an era.

I thought I'd noticed a decline in your posts now I know why.

You will leave some big boots to fill.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

I'm going to miss harassing you for forum stats that I am unable to retrieve on my own due to incompetence or lack of knowledge (or both).
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
See ya around Adrian. Hope I wasn't one of the peeps that ran you off. Big Grin
"How is it that a lame man does not annoy us while a lame mind does? Because a lame man recognizes that we are walking straight, while a lame mind says that it is we who are limping." - Pascal
Gonna feel kinda strange with you not admin anymore. So used to seeing you in red. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
I haven't known you very long, but I know for certain that your humanity will be missed here on this site. Best of luck to you in all your new endeavors.

[Image: Adrianthanku.png]

VOID, maybe we could find a new color for his name?
[Image: Evolution.png]

Gold perhaps? He deserves it. Big Grin
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.
Mind making a shoutbox work again before you lose admin privileges? It'll curb my daily postcount by at least 30% Smile

It will be hard to fill Tiberius's shoes as a programmer... I wonder if anyone can do it Undecided
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
Sad to see ya go Adrian, even if I ain't been here long enough to appreciate fully what you've done for the place.

If it means anything to you I would like to say that I've never been one who wants negative attitudes on the site, nor to attack people of different beliefs. I like having theists on here, some of them I couldn't imagine the place without. But man, is it really a surprise that a lot of the atheists on here are pissed when people come along onto the site with no other intention than to troll?
I'm sorry if I've ever been one of the guys who's "mocked people", but honestly, I've never done so without what I've thought was decent reason to.

Either way, it's a bummer you're stepping down.
Adios Adrian, good luck in future endeavours.
It is a dark day for mankind.

Good luck with everything you do from now on...

Cunt

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  LastPoet Steps Down Tiberius 45 7450 August 26, 2015 at 4:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Ryantology Steps Down Tiberius 13 3201 August 7, 2015 at 3:55 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  The Website is Down (Tiberius Fucked Up) Tiberius 47 8410 April 11, 2015 at 3:20 am
Last Post: Norman Humann