Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Now I am in love with life
Star 
Now I am in love with life
My mother was the sixth and youngest child of devout Catholics. She attended Catholic school, and had me at age 16. She was kicked out after she gave me up to Catholic Charities, and then got me back. Despite that, I was raised in a devout Roman Catholic home. I suffered abuse at the hands of my zealot stepfather for questioning things, and received every sacrament that one can receive as female child. There was a time in my life wherein I did believe in God and absolutely loved Jesus, Mary, and the saints. When I was a teen, and my mother divorced the madman, I was allowed to think for myself. After a short-lived stint as a Hindu, with a brief layover as a Buddhist, I saw The Cosmos series with Carl Sagan, and my mind completely opened up to new and fascinating possibilities. By the time I was 21, I was sure there was nothing else I could be but an atheist. I actually mourned for a while after my logic swallowed up my beliefs, but that didn't last very long. I am currently in school to studying astrophysics, and theoretical physics, and find great fulfillment in the knowledge of the vastness of time and space and improbability of life as a member of the human species, here on the planet earth.

RE: Now I am in love with life
Congratulations for being a survivor.

Your story reminds me of this poem from the grave of an American Marine killed on Guadalcanal.

Quote:And when he gets to heaven,
To St. Peter he will tell,
"Another Marine reporting, Sir,
I've served my time in Hell!"
Glad to hear it Smile

So you're studying physics? Awesome, we could use more physicists here to ward off the crazies with their "Big bang isn't a valid theory" bullshit Wink
Aw they won't listen to a physicist.....they have their fucking bible to tell them all the facts.
Thank you. Yes, physics suit me nicely, and that poem is intriguing. I love poetry too! I have actually had someone try to convince me that Satan made the cosmos to fool us into believing in anything other than God, and to distract us from the "real truth". What do you even say to someone that... special? It's exhausting, and infuriating at times.

Quote:What do you even say to someone that... special? It's exhausting, and infuriating at times.

Hmmm....

Thinking

I usually find "FUCK YOU, YOU MORON" to be the most emotionally satisfying reply. You aren't going to penetrate stupidity that dense so you may as well enjoy yourself.
(September 1, 2011 at 11:20 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:What do you even say to someone that... special? It's exhausting, and infuriating at times.

Hmmm....

Thinking

I usually find "FUCK YOU, YOU MORON" to be the most emotionally satisfying reply. You aren't going to penetrate stupidity that dense so you may as well enjoy yourself.

ROFLOL

You have a really good point!

Welcome! If I weren't so lazy I'd give you a better welco
Welcome aleialoura! Big Grin <--- sounds like a soft drink!
Welcome sir... And good day to you.
Cunt