Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:05 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Letter to an Atheist.
Letter to an Atheist.
Dear Atheist,

I wanted to bring to your attention, the worrying trend that you have developed when interacting with non atheists. Maybe you aren't aware how obnixious and pompous you are.

I must admit that you are more clever than your average non atheist and that is evident in your posts; but you are also more rude, impatient and down right childish in your aggressive 'attacks' against proposed ideas that don't fit your definition of truth. You display no patience, good will or humour even, in your counter arguments.

If you are 'right' about a point, then its truth is made ugly or impotent by your methods of establishing it and maybe will result in some not 'seeing' the truth you 'defend'. You are in a privileged position that gives you power: having knowledge that many don't have. Share your knowledge wisely and peacefully, then it will grow.

best wishes

Catherine

p.s
Obviously this letter is not aimed at atheists per se but to the people who are responsible for driving Diamond and myself away. Of course their 'atheism' does not cause them to be like they are, but rather their egos and puffed up pride. (hence why this letter is not in the Atheism section).
"The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility"

Albert Einstein
RE: Letter to an Atheist.
(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: You are in a privileged position that gives you power: having knowledge that many don't have.

Atheists are not the only ones guilty of this.

The difference is that (by and large) atheists can at least point to the reason that they take the their stance, rather than just having a vague feeling that there must be a 'purpose'.

But saying that that I am sorry to see you go.

I personally prefer the site with differing opinions on it, otherwise it just becomes a boring round of mutual agreement, wheres the fun in that?

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

Hi CR,

I can find myself in a lot of what you are saying, but this:

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: You are in a privileged position that gives you power: having knowledge that many don't have. Share your knowledge wisely and peacefully, then it will grow.

Lets face facts, none of our knowledge comes from a privileged position, it is right there for anyone to find in books and online search engines.

When I first saw the question "What good is half an eye?" I did not dismiss that as a silly question, but thought "that's a good question, what good is that?" and investigated that very question. There is no reason anyone could not do this. No one has an excuse here. If you can post on this forum, you can do the research yourself, the online repository is right there. What you conceive as a privileged position is nothing more than "You have already done the legwork".

Now as for the rather broad generalization of atheists being rude an pompous. When discussing core beliefs, things are bound to get volatile. It is the very heart of a subject that defines a person that is being questioned, how could it not be? I do not have to pussyfoot around your feelings though for fear of losing my message. It was never my message to start with but a response to the person claiming knowledge.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: Dear Atheist,

I wanted to bring to your attention, the worrying trend that you have developed when interacting with non atheists.

I must admit that you are more clever than your average non atheist and that is evident in your posts; but you are also more rude, impatient and down right childish in your aggressive 'attacks' against proposed ideas that don't fit your definition of truth. You display no patience, good will or humour even, in your counter arguments.

I don't interact with theists much, because they have that habit of being a bit stooopid.

And as for the aggression you say you witnessed, I see that is because they keep throwing the same bullshit every time, and just don't listen to us.

I would also like to add, I think we are funny... We can make abortion jokes. Damn you for think otherwise Tongue

Cunt
Dear theist

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: I wanted to bring to your attention, the worrying trend that you have developed when interacting with non atheists.

I would like to bring to your attention the worrying trend you have developed over the millenia when interacting with atheists.

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: Maybe you aren't aware how obnoxious and pompous you are.

Clearly you are not aware of how pompous, inarticulate, erroneous and just plain stupid and uneducated you really are. Some may qualify this as obnoxious childish behaviour

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: I must admit that you are more clever than your average non atheist and that is evident in your posts; but you are also more rude, impatient and down right childish in your aggressive 'attacks' against proposed ideas that don't fit your definition of truth. You display no patience, good will or humour even, in your counter arguments.

I must admit that your adhesion's to a fairy tale are quite admirable but I am distressed at your rude, childish, and intellectually insulting arguments and total lack of anything that remotely resembles logic. You display nothing that resembles patience but only offer the tried and true method of "repeat it long enough and they will believe" method of dialogue.

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: If you are 'right' about a point, then its truth is made ugly or impotent by your methods of establishing it and maybe will result in some not 'seeing' the truth you 'defend'.
I am unaware that truth is to be "pretty or wrapped up in the fairy-tale packaging suitable for children" and as a result only serves to denigrate your position even further as being infantile or moronic in the extreme.

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: You are in a privileged position that gives you power: having knowledge that many don't have.

You would like to think that you have a "privileged" existence being one of the "faithful" and view others not of your individual mind set as undeserving, ergo wrong and not worthy. Yours is a privileged existence ordained by your favourite deity who is unknowable, unidentifiable, unquestionable and down right a figment of your collective imagination because you enjoy giving your responsibility of being a human away to some other whom you deem 'worthy' of communicating with your said favourite deity. This is how you get through life... at arms length. An observer but not a participant. Because "god-did-it"

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: Share your knowledge wisely and peacefully, then it will grow.

The "sharing of knowledge" is all around you. It grows whether you look at it or not. It is independent of your value system and as such couldn't care less of your views. Peace or aggression have no meaning to it because it is what it is ...knowledge. No right or wrong, up or down, god or no-god. Knowledge is there for your perusal and so if you partake of it YOU will grow nothing more.

(September 2, 2011 at 4:30 am)CoxRox Wrote: best wishes

Catherine

p.s
Obviously this letter is not aimed at atheists per se but to the people who are responsible for driving Diamond and myself away. Of course their 'atheism' does not cause them to be like they are, but rather their egos and puffed up pride. (hence why this letter is not in the Atheism section).

Clearly your religion is not serving you and so you run like frightened rabbits.

It would be logical if you are firm with your deity and your world view you would be able to argue your belief and not sink to the "victim mentality". It would arguably be valid that you do not support your own cherished belief system.

Your ego and "puffed up pride" has lead you to this post ...YES???

p.s.
I fixed your typos for you...spell check is your friend. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

I can't help calling them as I see them.

Also I find it hard not to be harsh or insulting to people who are so stooooopid.
Some.....times....I....have....to....talk....slowly....and....with....the....most....basic....words....in....the....English.....language....so.....they...don't....get....too....fucking....confused.
Fucking morons.

It's not that I have a low tolerance level for stupid and mentally unstable people or that I can't find any patience for them....but....ok so I do. So what?
They have imaginary friends for fuck sake. They think they're going to a pretty, happy and magical place long after their body and mind ceases to function.
Some are old enough to be my granddad and yet they have beliefs that a fucking 5 year old would have. They're just asking to be mocked.
I'm not going to tip toe or pussy foot around people just for the sake of their beliefs and feelings.

I want to add a little something too. You think I've been insulting? I've been called a rapist, murderer, child molester, baby eater, devil worshipper, thief, immoral hell bound demon. All this because I'm an atheist, all this online and by theists. My insults aren't half as bad as theirs. I've called them stupid, ignorant and delusional but is that really as bad as calling someone a rapist or child molester?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence - Carl Sagan

Mankind's intelligence walks hand in hand with it's stupidity.

Being an atheist says nothing about your overall intelligence, it just means you don't believe in god. Atheists can be as bright as any scientist and as stupid as any creationist.

You never really know just how stupid someone is, until you've argued with them.

This "privileged" knowledge is not special or secret or restricted.

It is there for all with eyes that wish to see.

I for one get annoyed with people who chose their evidence free fairytale over reality.

Even more annoyed when those selfsame people try to claim that their fairytales have an equal footing with science.

If that makes me appear arrogant then so be it. But I have been called far worse by theists than I have ever called them.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
More manufactured drama. I'm currently engaged in a very heated discussion with Kichi and somehow we have managed to remain civil and give each other laughs in other threads as well. Poor theists, boo hoo.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 2, 2011 at 8:35 am)Rhythm Wrote: More manufactured drama. I'm currently engaged in a very heated discussion with Kichi and somehow we have managed to remain civil and give each other laughs in other threads as well. Poor theists, boo hoo.

I KNOW Rhythm!! Just wtf?? are these 'Theists' on??

Have to agree with you mate...boo fucking hoo poor "victim mentality theists" Running away crying ...

Devil (large) where the fuck is your god naow?
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

I wanted to bring to your attention, the worrying trend that you have developed when interacting with non atheists. Maybe you aren't aware how obnixious and pompous you are.

If you are 'right' about a point, then its truth is made ugly or impotent by your methods of establishing it and maybe will result in some not 'seeing' the truth you 'defend'. You are in a privileged position that gives you power: having knowledge that many don't have. Share your knowledge wisely and peacefully, then it will grow.

best wishes

Catherine

p.s

Yeah this forum has become a bit heavy on the vitriol lately, we might have to tighten up the rules again, never a popular move but this has happened before and last time we tightened the rules a lot of people made a big deal of it and left, then things settled down and we relaxed the rules, then over a year or so the nastiness returned - Imo it's a phase, it will pass, in any case it's damn hard striking the right balance, we want to be as open as possible but at the same time we don't want to drive off the theists who stop by. Then again, someone having their reasoning called moronic or stupid is fair game... I understand some people think their opinions are 'precious' but as long as there is no flame-baiting or personal attacks it's all fair game.

DiamondDeist was damn irritating, but still I think in retrospect we all (myself included) were a bit harsh, then again being harsh isn't against the rules... It's hard to find a polite way to tell someone they're full of shit.