Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 3:13 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Social Problems
Social Problems
I'm not saying this is a bad thing.
I'm new here so I have a lot to learn.

I'm not the best educated person and I don't think to hard into anything.
But there are those who do.
We all know these people.
They seem super intelligent, always thinking about something.
The ones who are super smart, use words with 20 letters
And try to define everything you say.

I am generalizing now, I KNOW EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE.. JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE..

But my point is, I have many professors and a few friends like this.
These people are hard to talk to and understand.
It's like they are unaware that they are spewing bullshit from their mouths.

Not all smart people are like this. I have many 4.0 GPA friends,
Top of their class, but they are so down to earth.

They are not stuck up, they don't have to show off how smart they are,
They don't have to prove themselves' right about everything.
They don't raise themselves above everyone else.

It seems a lot of people here are they way.. I am not trying to troll,
I am not trying to start anything. I'm just trying to bring awareness about it.

We know these people, they seem oblivious that they are dicks and assholes.
Stuck up people, who think the world revolves around them.
The ones who can't hold a conversation with a stranger.

I love people friendly, love meeting new people,
and I'm a down to earth person. When someone passes me walking,
I tell them "Hi how are you doing?" or even a "hey whatsup" and smile.

IT'S NOT THAT HARD! Most of the time walking around campus,
There are those people who always look pissed at the world,
And their best friend is the top of their shoes.
You try to talk to them, and they don't say a word.

You're not better than me. I'm not better than you.
Sure we all have different talents, but we are all humans.

And don't give me none of this bullshit, oh I have a disease,
Where I can't talk to people.

I'm from the USA, Louisiana, which is part of the "deep south"
Down here we are known for our "Southern Hospitality"
You get that, warm friendly, open atmosphere here.
You walk into a grocery store and everyone welcomes you,
You can talk to strangers about anything!

Go to the west, or Northern states. Sure there are nice people there,
But no one even makes eye contact up there!
It's like a crime to be friendly in public!
Don't try to say hello to a stranger on a bus, or on the street!
You might get shot for that.

There are too many people out there who raise themselves
Above everyone else, and can't even say hello.

Please, lower yourself back to earth, see that we are all equal,
and don't treat others like they are below you.

I'm sure I'll get some replies with definitions of words I used, and get called a retard,
Because I'm not as educated as the rest of you.
This shouldn't be a controversial subject, but it is. That's why I'm bringing it up.

I know I've put a lot of stuff into this post. My last few posts I made,
I didn't understand a word some of you said, so I didn't bother replying.
You don't have to act like a complex individual.
We know you aren't Wink

Simplicity is simple. Big Grin Remember that.
Make America Great Again! Trump 2020
RE: Social Problems
In a weird way I can identify with this. When I first started researching scientific and philosophy terms I felt stupid because of how simple people made it seem
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
(September 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: I'm from the USA, Louisiana, which is part of the "deep south"

This is true, as long as you're a white, christian, heterosexual.Wink
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(September 2, 2011 at 4:43 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: In a weird way I can identify with this. When I first started researching scientific and philosophy terms I felt stupid because of how simple people made it seem

Yep, I was trying to get that. Sure if you are a smart individual,
You can do smart things, and even talk about "smart things"
But please, dont speak to the average person and expect them to understand
the quadratic mitosis of the conceptual theory of why dihydrogen
monoxide is harmful to the evolution and evaluation of fungi.

We all know you are smart. You don't have to show off.
You can still sound smart, and not sound like a douchebag.
Some people should release some of that hot gas in their brains,
and float back down to earth..

(September 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm)FaithNoMore Wrote:
(September 2, 2011 at 4:35 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote: I'm from the USA, Louisiana, which is part of the "deep south"

This is true, as long as you're a white, christian, heterosexual.Wink

There are always going to be bigots and racists. They are everywhere. Louisiana has a wide variety of cultures here. We have blacks, whites, hispanics, we have creoles, we have cajuns, we have a mixture of a lot of different people and cultures. We do have gays down here, but not many seem to be bothered. We do have a lot of Christians, but they aren't the fundamental Christians you see.

You get a lot more racists and fundamentalists in Mississippi and Alabama ha Tongue
Asking atheists to come back down to earth. Well, dripping with irony given the circumstances.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Asking atheists to come back down to earth. Well, dripping with irony given the circumstances.

Quite ironic, most atheists I know, NOT ALL OF THEM..
Act as if they are GOD.
They act as if they know everything, they know all the answers.
They can't even communicate with "normal" people.
They are so full of themselves it's funny.
They are not Gods, they are not too good speak to an uneducated audience.

I worked at Wendy's, the fast food chain for a few years during highschool..
Every night, there would be at least 1 or 2 customers who were too good
to be there. Some customers would request the manager
to take their order to make sure it was right..
Funny when they order a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger,
it automatically comes with mayonnaise, tomato and lettuce,
and the customer comes storming back when they find
lettuce and tomato on their sandwich, in which
they did not say no tomato or lettuce.

Rule of thumb for anything.
Ask what comes with anything before you buy it
if you don't know what you are buying.

Good post, when I came to this forum I got my ass handed to me by TackAttack, I think it was over something about a 'fallacy', that I had never heard of that at the time. In retrospect, I realized how ignorant I was acting. I've learned so much on this forum, and that is why I keep using the forum. Even though I can't understand half of the stuff on this thread, I'm at least hoping to learn as much as I can. The only time I've ever had an intelligent/friendly discussion over religion, is on this site.

Quote:I'm from the USA, Louisiana, which is part of the "deep south"

You can't get any of that in Richmond, Kentucky. I mostly deal with kids my age, that can't act like they are in the least bit mature, if you bump into someones shoulder in a hallway (I'm a freshmen in highschool?) they get some vibe that you want to fight them, even though you said "excuse me". But you are probably dealing with more mature grown adults, whilst I'm dealing with kids that act immature all the time. Public transportation is hell for me, you have to deal with kids in the backseat that think they are "all that", they constantly disrespect eachother (along with the bus driver) and then want respect back.

Quote:And don't give me none of this bullshit, oh I have a disease,
Where I can't talk to people.
I don't have a disease, I just have a huge phobia when talking to adults, for some odd reason I can't seem to make eye contact, or relate any way to them. Sometimes I might get these "Highs" during the day, where I'm energetic and want to talk, but that rarely happens. I only have a few select friends, but enough to make due. But I can hold up a conversation Tongue

Quote:Sure we all have different talents, but we are all humans.
I'm still contemplating whether or not I want to go to med school? Depends on what happens this year I guess? Not sure what my "talent" is, but its got to be there somewhere.

Quote:You don't have to act like a complex individual.
We know you aren't Wink
ROFLOL
Wink
(September 2, 2011 at 8:27 pm)Loading Please Wait Wrote:
(September 2, 2011 at 5:56 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Asking atheists to come back down to earth. Well, dripping with irony given the circumstances.

Quite ironic, most atheists I know, NOT ALL OF THEM..
Act as if they are GOD.
They act as if they know everything, they know all the answers.
They can't even communicate with "normal" people.
They are so full of themselves it's funny.
They are not Gods, they are not too good speak to an uneducated audience.

I worked at Wendy's, the fast food chain for a few years during highschool..
Every night, there would be at least 1 or 2 customers who were too good
to be there. Some customers would request the manager
to take their order to make sure it was right..
Funny when they order a Junior Bacon Cheeseburger,
it automatically comes with mayonnaise, tomato and lettuce,
and the customer comes storming back when they find
lettuce and tomato on their sandwich, in which
they did not say no tomato or lettuce.

Rule of thumb for anything.
Ask what comes with anything before you buy it
if you don't know what you are buying.

Personally, condiments like mayo, should be on the side, not directly on it. It isn't that hard to take off lettuce or tomato, but it's harder to take off mayo that gets onto everything else.
Last time I went to dairy queen I got a mushroom Swiss burger, and on it was mayo, I couldn't understand their reasoning for putting that on the burger, but what the hell?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(September 2, 2011 at 9:04 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: You can't get any of that in Richmond, Kentucky. I mostly deal with kids my age, that can't act like they are in the least bit mature, if you bump into someones shoulder in a hallway (I'm a freshmen in highschool?) they get some vibe that you want to fight them, even though you said "excuse me". But you are probably dealing with more mature grown adults, whilst I'm dealing with kids that act immature all the time. Public transportation is hell for me, you have to deal with kids in the backseat that think they are "all that", they constantly disrespect eachother (along with the bus driver) and then want respect back.

I understand where you are coming from. I'm only a junior in college, so it's been awhile, at least 3 years since I've had to deal with kids. I've noticed a lot of rural kids tend to be good, outgoing and very outdoordy type kids. I live in a small town in the northern part of my parish, and there are only 3 public schools in my parish, so there are many kids that live in rural areas over an hour from my old highschool. I went to school with them, and those are generally the good hearted friendly kids. The kids from the city, who could actually walk to school were mean kids.
I live somewhat in a rural area, about 20 minutes from town, so not as bad as some of the other kids.

Quote:I don't have a disease, I just have a huge phobia when talking to adults, for some odd reason I can't seem to make eye contact, or relate any way to them. Sometimes I might get these "Highs" during the day, where I'm energetic and want to talk, but that rarely happens. I only have a few select friends, but enough to make due. But I can hold up a conversation Tongue

I didn't mean people who are scared or what not. I'm talking about those who feel they are too intelligent to hold a normal conversation with people, so they act like they have have a condition which makes them better than everyone else. Disease was a strong word there, my bad Tongue

Quote:Depends on what happens this year I guess? Not sure what my "talent" is, but its got to be there somewhere.

Anything that you are good at is your talent Smile We all have something to offer.

Quote:Personally, condiments like mayo, should be on the side, not directly on it. It isn't that hard to take off lettuce or tomato, but it's harder to take off mayo that gets onto everything else.
Last time I went to dairy queen I got a mushroom Swiss burger, and on it was mayo, I couldn't understand their reasoning for putting that on the burger, but what the hell?

I totally agree!! I am a very plain person when it comes to food. I hate condiments. I just don't like the texture. I don't like mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, any types of sauces or dressing, no ranch, no honey mustard, anything that has a liquid type consistency I hate. Just like you said, anything that can't come off easily. I do eat pickles tomatos and lettuce though. To bad I don't make the rules, but usually any food place will have mayo on.. :/

Quote:I understand where you are coming from. I'm only a junior in college, so it's been awhile, at least 3 years since I've had to deal with kids. I've noticed a lot of rural kids tend to be good, outgoing and very outdoordy type kids. I live in a small town in the northern part of my parish, and there are only 3 public schools in my parish, so there are many kids that live in rural areas over an hour from my old highschool. I went to school with them, and those are generally the good hearted friendly kids. The kids from the city, who could actually walk to school were mean kids.
I live somewhat in a rural area, about 20 minutes from town, so not as bad as some of the other kids.

I've noticed that the kids that run around their neighborhood and do what they want, are always the ones causing troubles. I've also noticed that rural kids tend to be good, but I don't necessarily live in a rural area, I'm just not aloud to run around on the streets and act like an idiot :p I just don't understand how people can deal with them, they spit out the window and think its hilarious. They constantly scream and yell at each other over stupid shit. They constantly cuss at our bus driver, I've had to tell them to show some respect, but it never works. One thing I have noticed is that kids think that "fighting" makes them the hardest person in the world, I just see it as kids that can't settle an argument properly. There is nothing that gets on my nerves more than kids, that constantly waste their time trying to prove something by fighting. It's one thing if the kid is picking on you for no reason, I have no respect for bullies, if anyone is getting picked on they will usually end up dealing with me. This kid I sit next to in social studies, for some odd reason people hate him, I don't really see why? But everyday this girl constantly calls him a "fat bitch, no one loves you" just because he looked back. Personally I'm getting sick of it, you'd think by highschool people would get past name calling, and grow the hell up. I'm pretty sure the girl thinks everybody agrees with her, but personally I can't stand her. She uses me as an example for what he should act like, because I'm "Quiet", big difference is if I was to say anything to her it would end up in an argument. I see no reason to pick on kids, just because they are different. If they are causing a problem, ask them nicely to stop. You don't disrespect people to get a point across, treat people how you want to be treated. It's that simple.

Quote:I didn't mean people who are scared or what not. I'm talking about those who feel they are too intelligent to hold a normal conversation with people, so they act like they have have a condition which makes them better than everyone else. Disease was a strong word there, my bad
I understood what you meant, but the word disease got me a little, I just wanted to throw that out. I'm not a very social person towards people, unless I know them. I find it hard to talk to people, when I don't even know what they are in to. Lol once they find out that I'm Atheist they tend not to want to talk to me, but that is some people, not everyone.

Quote:Anything that you are good at is your talent. We all have something to offer.
Its just finding your talent on the job market. Some talents could be useless to some people.

Quote:I totally agree!! I am a very plain person when it comes to food. I hate condiments. I just don't like the texture. I don't like mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup, any types of sauces or dressing, no ranch, no honey mustard, anything that has a liquid type consistency I hate. Just like you said, anything that can't come off easily. I do eat pickles tomatos and lettuce though. To bad I don't make the rules, but usually any food place will have mayo on.. :/

I think it's just bad service, I didn't eat that whole day because I was out fishing, I go there to eat, I end up getting my order wrong. The Dairy Queen in Richmond never had mayo on everything, but I guess the one up in berea did.

[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(September 2, 2011 at 11:27 pm)MilesTailsPrower Wrote: I've noticed that the kids that run around their neighborhood and do what they want, are always the ones causing troubles. I've also noticed that rural kids tend to be good, but I don't necessarily live in a rural area, I'm just not aloud to run around on the streets and act like an idiot :p I just don't understand how people can deal with them, they spit out the window and think its hilarious. They constantly scream and yell at each other over stupid shit. They constantly cuss at our bus driver, I've had to tell them to show some respect, but it never works. One thing I have noticed is that kids think that "fighting" makes them the hardest person in the world, I just see it as kids that can't settle an argument properly. There is nothing that gets on my nerves more than kids, that constantly waste their time trying to prove something by fighting. It's one thing if the kid is picking on you for no reason, I have no respect for bullies, if anyone is getting picked on they will usually end up dealing with me. This kid I sit next to in social studies, for some odd reason people hate him, I don't really see why? But everyday this girl constantly calls him a "fat bitch, no one loves you" just because he looked back. Personally I'm getting sick of it, you'd think by highschool people would get past name calling, and grow the hell up. I'm pretty sure the girl thinks everybody agrees with her, but personally I can't stand her. She uses me as an example for what he should act like, because I'm "Quiet", big difference is if I was to say anything to her it would end up in an argument. I see no reason to pick on kids, just because they are different. If they are causing a problem, ask them nicely to stop. You don't disrespect people to get a point across, treat people how you want to be treated. It's that simple.

Those are the kind of people who are insecure about themself, so they find the need to pick on others.

I don't start fights. Unless someone is getting hurt, I won't really go out of my way to tell someone something. Name calling to me doesn't bother me at all. I know I'm the better person Big Grin so really, calling me a name only boosts my self confidence.

But if someone else gets picked on and I can tell they are hurt by it, I will usually tell the person harrasing them to just chill out, and be mature, usually it works if you tell them calmly and in a respectful tone. Bullies thrive when they rally their victims and peers up. They want attention, they want to be fought back. If you calmly tell them to chill out, they usually get the message. If you fight back or call them names back, they usually will just retaliate harder.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ugliness as a Tool of Social Control Leonardo17 20 1663 April 1, 2023 at 5:33 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Social construct. paulpablo 64 4971 January 1, 2023 at 10:19 am
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Is developing a strong habit of philosophizing bad for your social skills? Edwardo Piet 31 4097 May 25, 2016 at 8:22 am
Last Post: Gemini
  THE SELF-REINFORCING NATURE OF SOCIAL HIERARCHY: ORIGINS AND CONSEQUENCES OF POWER .. nihilistcat 9 3844 June 29, 2015 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: nihilistcat
  Philosophical problems with science. I and I 33 7274 December 13, 2013 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: I and I
  Social Approval or Principles? Koolay 26 7103 August 6, 2013 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: bennyboy