Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Squatchies vs Science
Squatchies vs Science
I wanted to share this blog posting from Brian Dunning for a couple reasons.

1) Brian is awesome. I think I've said it before, but if you're interested in skepticism and science at all, and don't already listen to his podcast Skeptoid, you really should.

2) and more importantly, I thought the posting highlighted ideas and modes of thinking that are prevalent within pseudo-science in general. There are great examples of logic centers being turned completely off.

The Erickson Project fact page Wrote:Q: Why have there not been sasquatch bodies or bones discovered?
A: For the same reason no one discovers the body or bones of most predators that have died of natural causes. When ill or nearing death they hole up in very secluded areas, and die there. Their carcass is eaten by other predators and the remaining bones are consumed by porcupines and other rodents.

Brian Dunning Wrote:This is not true. There is no example, that I know of, of an extant animal whose remains have not been discovered in the wild. Corpses of all large land animals in North America are found frequently. Carcasses of all North American bears, mountain lions, and wild canids are found all the time, and who met their ends without humans present. Their ancestors are also known by extensive examples in the fossil record. The true expectation is that if the animal did exist, its remains would have been found many times by humans.

There's not much extra explaining to do about this. The information exists by sending an e-mail or picking up a phone and calling wildlife biologists/zoologists or park rangers. It's a good example of either massive cognitive dissonance, outright lying (which I suspect in the case of some bigfoot groups), or an unparalleled level of ignorance/critical thinking skills.

You don't have to know everything, but you should train yourself to have a general idea of how to go about getting the knowledge you seek.

But I suspect the reason many of them don't ask qualified scientists has to do with the next example:

The Erickson Project fact page Wrote:Q: Why have they never officially been studied by scientists?
A: Scientists in general are not risk-takers. Because a sasquatch is so much like a human they can be hoaxed. Scientists are afraid to make a mistake. As a result it has been safer for most of them to steer clear of the phenomenon.

I can't tell you how sick I am of hearing this explanation, and hearing it passed as a reason for not trusting anyone who has the proper training. At a certain point, I have to wonder if it isn't an excuse to not speak to anyone who they know will point blank disagree with them.

As we've already discussed on these forums before, you shouldn't be afraid of disagreement, as it helps you refine your arguments. If your evidence is good, and your arguments solid, you will bear up under the scrutiny.

Brian commented,

Quote:It is hardly possible to be more wrong about scientists than this. Every professional researcher I know would want nothing more than to find something new and exciting. “Steering clear” of new discoveries is a good way for a scientist to lose his job; not to keep it. Scientists are not employed in the hope that they will discover nothing. A better reason that so few scientists have dedicated time to sasquatch research is that there is no good evidence that the creature exists; thus it would be a waste of resources that could be better applied to fields more likely to produce results.

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Squatchies vs Science
Some people are very silly.
Cunt
A Cryptomundo page that opines about the possibility of bigfoot being misidentified as a werewolf. For your enjoyment. (as well as a subdued proclamation of support for the ability of native american shamans to shapeshift)

http://www.cryptomundo.com/bigfoot-report/werewolf/
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Nothing surprises me on that site anymore. I should dig up what Sharon Hill said about it on the Monster Talk FB page.

Another great podcast, btw. I don't emphasize it enough. If you like cryptids in any fashion, but also love real science, you will LOVE that show. Their recent "Zombie Autopsies" interview was worth it alone.

http://monstertalk.skeptic.com/
Zombie autopsy, huh? Sounds like something I might get some enjoyment out of.
Cunt
It was a fantastic episode. Monster Talk is honestly one of the few podcasts that I can listen to over and over with pretty much the same pleasure as the first time.