Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 4:55 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Deist refute to Atheist Q&A
Deist refute to Atheist Q&A
This guy is one of my favourites and talks really well from a Deist stand point because lets be honest most people don't even get it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4x7MAqi0oR0

The questions obviously came before this vid.

3:10 onwards, oh I so feeeel his pain lol.

This isn't a blanket feeling by the way, just particulars. Smile

6:05 LMFAO oh the irony, I just realised.
Looks like it won't embed but just click the screen.
RE: Deist refute to Atheist Q&A
If that is the position he takes, then he and I certainly don't agree. The "You say something came from nothing" and NOMA arguments are both ridiculous.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Hello DD. Can you hear me? I don't know if this was your second to last post, or first one after the last, but I'm gonna respond anyway.

Something didn't come from nothing. I can never understand why deists seem to think that before earthly human consciousness was thinking up the wheel, there was nothing.

The planet earth just happened to fall in the most delicately perfect orbit around a middle aged yellow dwarf star. Our solar system is in the Orion spiral arm of the milky way galaxy, whose center is aproximately 28,000 light years away from us. That's fuck ing FAR.

The point I'm making is we're a special species on a special planet. The improbability of our very existence is almost too great for the human mind to conceive. It's easy for me to understand a deists point of view, in a way, because it's just so damn improbable that we exist.

There are so many theories of how life as we know it came to be, but the simple fact of the matter is, this is just life as we know it, and there is still so much we don't know. I think if their were a creator of the universe, he/she/it went about it in a terribly complicated way. If I was a god, things in my universe would be simple, like an iphone app or something.

It's, in my opinion, very pompous of people to think that we, the species Homo Sapiens, in the family of Hominidae, genus Homo, are the center of this mindfuckinglylarge KNOWN universe.

I am filled with an indescribable, overwhelming feeling of humility and awe in the spectacular odds life on earth has faced and overcome. I am fascinated by my own consciousness, and thankful for gravity, matter, and imperfection that has allowed me to have one so I can sit back and look up at billions of suns and wonder.. imagine.. and be my own god, in charge of my own fate/life.

Deists kill me because they're almost there. They can't get over themselves, maybe? Maybe they just literally can't conceive that time was around for an unknown, but enormously long time before humans were around to make their own distinctions of it.

I have no problem with Deists (normally, had none with DD either). If Deists believe the universe was started by some deity or supernatural force or whatever, I have no problem with that, I just don't believe that. It makes no difference to me one way or the other.

What happens in this video however is completely misrepresenting what I as an atheist hold as beliefs. And to hold up Dawkins as the posterboy for atheism, I don't think there is at the moment a more high-profile atheist out there I do have issues with (besides perhaps Rebecca Watson).

Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Quote:Something didn't come from nothing.

We apparently did not, but that something can and did come from nothing is precisely what at least one physicist(Lawrence Krauss) is currently arguing. I am agnostic on the issue; I can't get my head around it. That reflects my intellectual limitations,not the argument's veracity. (necessarily)

Lecture introduced by Richard Dawkins.

http://youtu.be/7ImvlS8PLIo
Dawkins is a good biologist and proponent of evolutionary theory but beyond that I don't rate him at all.

And DD, I already explained to you - Nobody even remotely familiar with physics will claim that something came from "nothing", at least not "nothing" in the terms you are picturing it, the conservation of energy and information are two physical principles defended by all prominent physicists, their existence alone necessitates that "nothing" is a misnomer.
Oddly, Void, that is exactly what the xtians put forward in the big book of fairy tales.

Quote:Genesis 1
The Beginning
1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

Of course, that does not dispute your point as they know shit about physics.

sorry DD, but that youtube guy is an idiot. No thing can come from nothing, including his magic man. Why is it that an infinitely powerful intelligent being can exist spontaneously yet, something as simple as our universe cannot. Out of the countless universes, we are just in one that was conducive to awareness. No magic needed.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy