Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 10:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Accommodation vs. Confrontation
Accommodation vs. Confrontation
I’ve noticed that there’s an epidemic of apologists, lately. Some of it stems from the accommodation vs. confrontation debate. I am growing tired of the agnostics, free thinkers, moderates, deists, pantheists, humanists, apologists, etc. Hell, let’s call them all cherry pickers, or anti-atheists, ones who wish to maintain the good attributes that stem from the idea of God. Many feel that we need to appreciate what religion has accomplished and that it is unrealistic to blanket them all. That those, who use it as power to endlessly judge, terrorize, oppress, or put other people down, hijacked the religious movement, but it was once a grand idea that is now drowned with egos. These pseudo-intellectuals, once lazily perched on a fence, are no longer innocent bystanders, and they feel that they can call the shots from the safety of higher ground. They are detractors, who discourage, and drain with their cynicism. They are anti-atheists.

The Constitution of the United States was greatly influenced by John Locke, an anti-atheist, who avidly promoted religious toleration, with atheism being one of the notable exception. He believed that atheism should never be tolerated because “Promises, covenants, and oaths, which are the bonds of human society, can have no hold upon an atheist”.

"Lastly, those are not at all to be tolerated who deny the being of a God.” - John Locke

“I esteem that toleration to be the chief characteristic mark of the true church. Promises, covenants, and oaths, which are the bonds of human society, can have no hold upon an atheist. The taking away of God, though even in thought, dissolves all; besides also, those that by their atheism undermine and destroy all religion, can have no pretence of religion whereupon to challenge the privilege of toleration.” ~John Locke

Who here believes that the first amendment only grants freedom of religion, but not freedom from religion? If this was in fact, the intentions of our forefathers, it is not right.

It is more important for the pious to be right than it is for them to express compassion. Are humans so evil that we need self-declared politicians and religious leaders to tell us right from wrong? No, and the world will never change by those who fit in with the norm. Politics is a game within a social game. This idea of heaven, utopia, and paradise is the ultimate human endeavor to live in peace and harmony, but this indescribable essence is not God. It is the capacity of human compassion. It is our fundamental need for cooperation, love, and acceptance.

Feelings trump reason and at times can cause more harm than good. Atheism may be slow to move because it is short on sentiments, but atheism is reasonable, and apprehends reality as it is. It is confidently assertive, not aggressive. Feelings themselves will not save the world. Everyone wishes to be viewed as compassionate, some vain with their own egoistic fulfillment, while others have sentimental grief and idiot compassion. All of which, can be harmful or ineffective. Genuine compassion does not look towards the outcome, or the rewards for self-sacrifice, but simply responds appropriately to another’s suffering at the time.

Do humans have an innate capacity to be compassionate? I believe they do. Sifting through history was there some revelation, age of enlightenment, or an adaptation, which lead us away from barbaric behavior? I don’t think so. It was when we forced people to put themselves in other people's shoes. It was through sentiments. It is our feelings, which move us to action. We have achieved this through our most powerful tool, language. It was our ability to communicate that moved us to change. Technology advanced, and even though communications were limited, we were able to express sentiments to many, though art, music, and literature, which enable us to connect and relate.

Now, here we are still stuck with this religious notion of God, which at the very foundation, still divides us. It adds fire to the “us and them” mentality, which inhibits compassion at its core. Does God hold the key to our happiness? I do not think so. It’s a door to our outlook, which only we can unlock. It’s easier said than done and no one has all the answers. We are fallible human beings, who need acceptance to survive. We are social animals, plain and simple. We are changing, growing, learning, and exploring. I do know this much, though…our time is limited and we only live once. Therefore, I simply wish to express my feeling and I feel that there is no God.

Should We Tolerate Non-Believers?

P.S. My family doesn’t want me to respond to the comments left by Islamic viewers but feel free to do so.
Quote:COMMENT: So, where are you going, where did you come from, and what is the goal of your life? Everything by mistake had been made or by accident…you, people, animals , water , earth , wind ,sun, everything have a start and end everything is under a roll even inside your body it’s amazing how is the body working and every part is doing its job, all that by mistake ?

RE: Accommodation vs. Confrontation
Great video :p
I take it you made that?
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
Quote:Many feel that we need to appreciate what religion has accomplished

And that would be....................... what?
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQg7TWs2idzZWeLvTbgmxa...XLmi1u8NPw]
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
When I was reading The End of Faith by Sam Harris, I thought the best part of the whole thing was the section about the dangers of accommodation. I think people who say things to the effect of 'I'm not religious but it does a lot of good, let's work with it' are generally either people who have a vested interest in being popular with as many people as possible ie politicians, or people who haven't actually got a clue what the religions actually say, or how their own rights are infringed upon by religious groups.

I like to fight.

One question to SecularSanity: Why don't your family want you to respond to comments from Muslims? And if you want to reply, why does it matter what your family think you should do?
Because his family prefers him to be alive.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Pfffft, wimps.
MilesTailsPrower Wrote:Great video! I take it you made that?

Yes. Thank you!

Quote:Many feel that we need to appreciate what religion has accomplished.
Minimalist Wrote:And that would be....................... what?

Well, I’m not up for defending them, obviously. However, I was once presented with an argument that made a little sense. Historically, Christianity reduced violent behavior, but not in the same way that they claim. Men compete for women with ferocity, for obvious evolutionary reasons. Women pacify men. An unappeased man is more likely to commit a violent act. So, Christianity claims to be a vehicle for monogamy, which has pitched its message to the weak and underprivileged. Theoretically, monogamy can provide a mate for most men. Perhaps, leaving men without wives and offspring is dangerous for society, yes/no?

ElDinero Wrote:Why don't your family want you to respond to comments from Muslims? And if you want to reply, why does it matter what your family think you should do?

Rhythm Wrote:Because his her family prefers him for her to be alive.

Yes. In the past, a few of the private messages from Muslims have been a little intimidating.

BTW, I liked what you said about the dangers of accommodation, ElDinero. Great reply!
Quote:Historically, Christianity reduced violent behavior, but not in the same way that they claim.

Well, it seems to me that they took what the church considered 'unacceptable" violent behavior and re-directed it at targets the church chose.
Such 'crusaders' ( among others) were then rewarded with eternal bliss for tearing their fellow men to little pieces.

As perhaps you can tell I am unimpressed with such arguments!
Women make a better "vehicle for monogamy" than christianity ever could. Ask your wife why you can't cheat on her and she's not likely to reference scripture, but you will get an earful of the gospel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTmJxMRDx...re=related