Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 3:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why?
Why?
For sake of argument, let us assume that there is an all-powerful, all-intelligent entity that was the beginning of all that is and call this entity god.

Why did god create all this? Was he bored? Could not find anything else to do? What was he doing before this? When he gets tired of these toys, then what?

This is actually reason number one that I started on my path to atheism. I called it nonsense. Then as I grew older and adopted logic and reason, it went from nonsense to totally impossible.

(It was during my evolution to logic and reason that I started reading the bible on my own rather than the select 'pretty' stories. Man did that hurt!)
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.
-- Superintendent Chalmers

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

Once something's been approved by the government, it's no longer immoral.
-- The Rev Lovejoy
RE: Why?
(September 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm)IATIA Wrote: For sake of argument, let us assume that there is an all-powerful, all-intelligent entity that was the beginning of all that is and call this entity god.

Why?

Quote:Why did god create all this? Was he bored? Could not find anything else to do? What was he doing before this? When he gets tired of these toys, then what?

Irrelevant. Never happened.

Quote:This is actually reason number one that I started on my path to atheism. I called it nonsense. Then as I grew older and adopted logic and reason, it went from nonsense to totally impossible.

(It was during my evolution to logic and reason that I started reading the bible on my own rather than the select 'pretty' stories. Man did that hurt!)

And you haven't even started on the council and papal treatises over the course of 17 centuries, or you could take up some (en)light(ening) reading: The Holy Qur'an (in English). Recommended. Clears up a whole lot. Especially the similarities and differences with the Bible and the Torah.
I'm at a loss as to why RocketScientist felt the need to point out the obvious falsehoods in IATIA's post. Isn't it clear that it's a purely hypothetical scenario designed to support atheism by adding yet another layer to why God does not exist?
(September 20, 2011 at 11:43 pm)Rokcet Scientist Wrote: And you haven't even started on the council and papal treatises over the course of 17 centuries, or you could take up some (en)light(ening) reading: The Holy Qur'an (in English). Recommended. Clears up a whole lot. Especially the similarities and differences with the Bible and the Torah.

Actually, I have. The note was a brief discourse as an addendum to the actual post.

The interest was in the theist response, but as usual, it easier to avoid the hard questions.
You make people miserable and there's nothing they can do about it, just like god.
-- Homer Simpson

God has no place within these walls, just as facts have no place within organized religion.

Science is like a blabbermouth who ruins a movie by telling you how it ends. There are some things we don't want to know. Important things.
-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy
I have asked some theists why their magical imaginary sky friend made all the stuff in the universe that isn't necessary for our survival: The endless distant galaxies, dead planets, pulsars, etc...

Most of them don't have a fucking clue, but a few have said that Satan created all of that stuff to distract us from Jesus. Of course they never have any proof for their tremendously stupid claims, but they never do..

It's all about blind submission. Fuck thinking.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kOThygGV...aw&index=1

I love this bitch. Ex Mormon, beautiful, brilliant.

(September 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm)IATIA Wrote: For sake of argument, let us assume that there is an all-powerful, all-intelligent entity that was the beginning of all that is and call this entity god.

Why did god create all this? Was he bored? Could not find anything else to do? What was he doing before this? When he gets tired of these toys, then what?

This is actually reason number one that I started on my path to atheism. I called it nonsense. Then as I grew older and adopted logic and reason, it went from nonsense to totally impossible.

It's the fact that they said god created the world that got me done with religion, it's a mediocre fantasy that a caveman would come up with. Wait a minute...? It was everything about god himself, that's what got me. It's an awful assumption to how the world really functions.
[Image: 4rynft.jpg]

Religion is like a Penis, you shouldn't whip it out in public and you shouldn't shove it down your child's throat.
[Image: ao1i8o.png]
(September 20, 2011 at 8:19 pm)IATIA Wrote: Why did god create all this? Was he bored? Could not find anything else to do? What was he doing before this? When he gets tired of these toys, then what?

I can guess that the common theist answer is that we can't even approach understanding God's motivation for such things, therefore it is futile to speculate.

Asking these kind of questions though defeats the whole purpose of a belief in god, which is ascribing meaning to an existence that is otherwise pointless in the grand scheme of things.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
If it's purpose you're looking for IATTA then that's exactly what the bible is about. I guess you missed that.
My christian friends always say god made the rest of the universe "for his glory" I don't usually respond because I don't like insulting people.
If I die and god is real, im so screwed.
(September 21, 2011 at 9:47 pm)searchingforanswers Wrote: My christian friends always say god made the rest of the universe "for his glory" I don't usually respond because I don't like insulting people.

Then we were not enough for this god after all! Thinking
-- Homer Simpson

-- Ned Flanders

-- The Rev Lovejoy

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why, why, why? Little Rik 39 11563 June 14, 2013 at 9:27 am
Last Post: Little Rik