Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:44 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Collective Nouns
Collective Nouns
http://www.rinkworks.com/words/collective.shtml

Just something I found amusing. I was trying to figure out what a group of frogs was called (an army). One of my favorite garden books is called "A Blessing of Toads" which I like much better than their real collective, which is "a knot."

Despite what others might say, frogs and Frenchies both have been blessings to my garden. Smile
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Collective Nouns
I know that a group of termites is called a mite. which always sounded pretty silly to me. It's like having a chicken of chickens.
Quote:Frankly, I wish that the fruits of my work useful and glorious appearing of the world that the fruits of my labor awaken the mind and unlock the feeling of those who are deprived of light.
Ridiculous to say, outside the sky was nothing.
There is not one world, one earth, one sun, but as many worlds as we see bright sparks on us.

Giordano Bruno
Had to laugh at this one:

"Flange of baboons"

It's a congress of baboons. The term 'flange' as a collective noun was invented in the early 1980s as a joke for this famous sketch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beCYGm1vMJ0

(Incidentally, it would seem that Aristotle was quoted in that sketch as saying "Here is a cucumber, the wife is a bike." In Greek, of course.)
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Intrusion of Cockroaches / Cockroach intrusion.

Consortium of Crabs / Crab consortium.

Horde of Gerbils / Gerbil horde.

Fun both ways, and descriptive too.

(+21 words for nanowrimo)
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
Murder of Crows...???

Go figure. Dodgy
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Ah, you got my favorite, Kichi. I love a murder of crows, as well as a conspiracy of ravens.
Trying to update my sig ...
Parliament of Owls??

Is another favourite. Where DO we get these ideas from?? ROFLOL
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Our thinking box is prone to all sorts of strange glitches isn't it..lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(November 6, 2011 at 10:10 am)Rhythm Wrote: Our thinking box is prone to all sorts of strange glitches isn't it..lol.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

My favourite is DEATH (Terry Pratchett's DEATH in particular)

[Image: 18-death.jpg]

[Image: The-Hogfather-DVD-Cover-594x891.jpg]

The Hogfather is my absolute favorite holiday special. It is utterly beautiful even as it is utterly zany. Pratchett is unparalleled in parody.
Trying to update my sig ...

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The collective noun for atheists? ignoramus 18 2432 December 19, 2017 at 10:42 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Homophobic Billboard in Lexington KY Removed, DroneX collective blamed Gambit 11 3507 December 3, 2012 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Autumnlicious