Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 3:29 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recent asteroid flyby
Recent asteroid flyby
My friend, Rick Johnson, in Minnesota, captured this video of the recent asteroid flyby that everyone was talking about. Here is his post from usenet:

After finding the MPC elements were too far off and the Horizon's site
pummeled into submission I finally got good elements about 3 hours after
closest approach. This is a 3 minute animation, 15 second frames,
tracking the asteroid. Taken with a 14" LX200R @ f/10 using a
STL-11000XM binned 3x3 for an image scale of 1.5" per pixel. Sub frame
of 800x600 was taken to cut download time rather than download the
1336x890 full image. That meant matching darks and flats. Something I
forgot about at the time and delayed processing. Even then the download
time stretched the time scale to about 3 minutes time for the 10 frames
used to make the animation. Mount was a Paramount ME controlled by The
Sky 6 Pro and CCDSoft 5. That guy
was really hauling ...

A 1.7 meg download so wait for it to animate.

http://www.prairieastronomyclub.org/astr...05YU55.gif
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Earth' Recent CLimate Spiral 2.0 Leonardo17 105 5892 November 5, 2023 at 3:33 pm
Last Post: Leonardo17
  Earth's recent climate spiral. Jehanne 301 18291 March 5, 2023 at 12:54 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  If an Asteroid wiped out the Dinosaurs how did Evolution continue? Oliver1990 30 11023 July 10, 2013 at 5:08 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Asteroid killed off the Dinosaurs, confirmed. Napoléon 43 16324 March 16, 2013 at 11:15 am
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Most Recent European Great Ape Discovered Justtristo 9 4012 January 19, 2012 at 12:36 pm
Last Post: Minimalist