Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 1:54 pm

Poll: What Bits Of You Would You Donate After Death?
This poll is closed.
None
0%
0 0%
Healthy Organs To Those In Need
6.25%
1 6.25%
Healthy Organs To Those In Need & Brain To Science
25.00%
4 25.00%
Everything But My Face/Skin
6.25%
1 6.25%
It's Just Meat Have The Lot!
62.50%
10 62.50%
Other
0%
0 0%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Organ Donation?
Organ Donation?
Are you registered as an organ donor and if you are/are not why?

I am now on the UK register even though I am slightly uncomfortable with the idea ... I figure if I am willing to take organs from another in the event of problems with mine (and I am) then I must be willing to do likewise i.e. it's a rational trade-off. My discomfort arises from my uncertainty over "brain-death" ... I'm just not sure that the brain death tests mill absolutely prove I gone forever. On the plus side I probably won't know about it if there is a fuck up.

Another way of donating is, of course, to donate to science and here is a report on a plea for brains for research, Plea to donate brains for research ... my problem with that is that my brain is me, I don't believe in any supernatural mumbo jumbo so my brain (or rather what it supports) is all I am so I'm a little wary of signing up for that one. There's also the fact that the more of you you give to science or others the less of you there is in the coffin which can be an issue for grieving relatives; for instance my wife has an issue with the idea of whole face transplants because (assuming it was me) she wouldn't want to meet some guy walking down the street with my face ... of course that person's bone structure would likely change the transplanted face beyond all normal recognition but it's an emotive subject for some.

I think I'll probably sign up for the brain one but won't for the skin because I have some empathy with grieving relatives.

Um ... OK, what about a poll?
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator
RE: Organ Donation?
I am and have been a registered organ donor since I was 18. They can take whatever they need from my body and burn the rest.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
Quote:I am and have been a registered organ donor since I was 18. They can take whatever they need from my body and burn the rest

I wish to do the same
I have been a registered organ donor since the age of 16.

I believe that if after my death, one or more of my organs can save somebody's life, take them! Take everything! Take extras! I do not need them anymore!
"We do not consider ourselves a Christian nation, or a Jewish nation or a Muslim nation, we consider ourselves a nation of citizens who are bound by ideals and a set of values."

-President Barack Obama
I don't need my organs when I'm dead. What's the point of burying them under the ground when over people might need them?
"Two hands working can do more than a thousand clasped in prayer"-Unknown
"A man without religon is like a fish without a bicycle"-One of Murphy's laws
[Image: atheist.png]
[Image: evolution.png]
Agreed, take everything! It would interesting to see what the christian vs. atheist ratio is on organ donations... I bet atheists win!
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
I could give my oragans right now, but only if they could replace my entire body with a robot body! That would be niceBig Grin
(April 20, 2009 at 10:47 am)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: Agreed, take everything! It would interesting to see what the christian vs. atheist ratio is on organ donations... I bet atheists win!

I don't see it as a race, only a matter of practicality. It doesn't matter what the person believed when he or she was alive, but how useful his/her body will be for others after death.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian
oh, I'm not saying its a race at all, don't misunderstand me, I didn't mean it as a judgement.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
(April 20, 2009 at 10:48 am)Giff Wrote: I could give my oragans right now, but only if they could replace my entire body with a robot body! That would be nice

Hell I'd opt to be transferred to a computer if they could assure me nothing about my personality would be changed and there were the expected safeguards.

Kyu
Angry Atheism
Where those who are hacked off with the stupidity of irrational belief can vent their feelings!
Come over to the dark side, we have cookies!

Kyuuketsuki, AngryAtheism Owner & Administrator

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I'm organizing a donation drive for the unsheltered homeless in my area Jackalope 38 3510 February 17, 2018 at 4:50 pm
Last Post: Jackalope