Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brave New World
Brave New World
Ok so I'm writing this essay for my British literature class based on the book Brave New World.

It's kind of atheist inspired, so any help from an atheist would be appreciated Smile

My topic is this: Can children be taught effectively to think in only one certain way? Can young people be taught so well that they never question their teachings later?

so I'm connecting this to the book to the topic (If you've ever read it then PLEASE help, and if not you can still help) and religion in the real world and child indoctrination and all that. Wink Shades

I kind of know the gist of what I want to say, but I don't know how to make it sound good.
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
RE: Brave New World
I remember this book! I read it back in high school and thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what we had to do when we studied it, so I'm not too knowledgeable on it.

What I know is that it is a classic 'utopian' novel, in contrast to a 'dystopian' novel like Nineteen Eighty-Four.

'Utopian' tends to describe an ideal community or society, but is very often associated with ideas that are unrealistic. In Brave New World, the idea of indoctrination seems quite simple, but in the real world, I don't think it could ever work like that.

So long as humans have the ability to think, they will always question. Of course, there will be some who due to their upbringing have no ability nor will to question and they will forever remain a victim of their indoctrination, but I think it would be an impossible task to get rid of the people who do think for themselves.

Can children be taught effectively to think in only one certain way?
I think that as long as they remain children, then yes they'll probably think in one certain way, usually akin to their parents. Some people never grow up and mature, and hence I would call them in a loose sense of the word, a child. But most children will grow up to be adults, and once that has happened, there is no guarantee to make them think the way you want them to think.

Can young people be taught so well that they never question their teachings later?
If child indoctrination worked properly, you would expect every person brought up as a christian to still be a christian, and to be incapable of understanding another perspective. Likewise, you would generally expect every atheist, or muslim, or buddhist, to remain a member of their respective belief/non-belief systems.

But that is clearly not the case. Many christians are now atheists and vice versa. All the evidence we can see points to people having the choice to either continue believing in their childhood beliefs, or to discard them for something else.

It's been a while since I read it, but I hope this helps Big Grin
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
Never heared of that book, wonder if that is translated in swedish, but what is it about?

But reading, brrr... just the word 'book' frightens me.

Anyway decpite that do I not think you can be taught so well that you won't question your teacher. I think athoughtfulman explained that very well. But I also think as long as you continue to get educated and are willing to learn, then you rpobably will start ask questions sooner or later.

However it can be really hard to stop believing or questioning something when it is strongly connected to your personality and who you are.

Being taught so well that you only will think one certain way can sort of be done, so can the one I answered first. You can look at nazi germany, perfect example how that is done. BUt such thing doesn't work in the long run, as I said sooner or later will more and more people start asking question and the system fails.
Quote:My topic is this: Can children be taught effectively to think in only one certain way? Can young people be taught so well that they never question their teachings later?

Generally speaking I think they can, especially if they are not exposed to contrary views and live in a restrictive or closed society. Eg Mormons,Amish and some of the more reclusive religious sects. China and Japan remained closed to outsiders for centuries. That tactic helped destroy Imperial China and nearly destroyed Japan.

Also easier if literacy is kept low and/or education and all forms of communication tightly controlled.

Having sanctions against dissent also helps:This may take the form of say "shunning" (Amish) expulsion (Mormons) and in less enlightened times ,say burning people alive (Catholics AND protestants) or shooting dissenters out of hand and/or bunging them into camps.(Nazis and Communists).
(April 22, 2009 at 12:40 am)padraic Wrote:
Quote:My topic is this: Can children be taught effectively to think in only one certain way? Can young people be taught so well that they never question their teachings later?

Generally speaking I think they can, especially if they are not exposed to contrary views and live in a restrictive or closed society. Eg Mormons,Amish and some of the more reclusive religious sects. China and Japan remained closed to outsiders for centuries. That tactic helped destroy Imperial China and nearly destroyed Japan.

Also easier if literacy is kept low and/or education and all forms of communication tightly controlled.

Having sanctions against dissent also helps:This may take the form of say "shunning" (Amish) expulsion (Mormons) and in less enlightened times ,say burning people alive (Catholics AND protestants) or shooting dissenters out of hand and/or bunging them into camps.(Nazis and Communists).

This is more along the lines of what I plan on writing about.

I think children CAN be taught to believe only one thing and to not question later. Just like a point that Dawkins made: What a child believes depends on where and how a child is raised, and what their parents teach them/ believe in.

Any thoughts/ suggestions?
"Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful with out having to believe there are fairies at the bottom of it to?" -Douglas Adams.Heart
Pastafarian
I Evolved!
Children CAN be taught to believe only one thing, but I think the idea that they cannot question later is pointless.

From an atheists point of view, I would say that generally any person who grows up a christian and remains one their entire lives has been taught one thing and has not questioned. But that is inconclusive, because I know there are christians around who grew up going to church, went through a stage of doubt and questioning until they sorted out their beliefs, then went back. So they were taught to think in a certain way, but they were able to question.

In the end I don't think they can be made to not question later. Sure, depending on their circumstances, some children will grow up and never question. But I think this is less to do with the parents than it is to do with all their other influences, such as friends, media (TV, internet, etc), books, and so on.
"I think that God in creating Man somewhat overestimated his ability." Oscar Wilde
My Blog | Why I Don't Believe in God
(April 23, 2009 at 5:31 am)athoughtfulman Wrote: Children CAN be taught to believe only one thing, but I think the idea that they cannot question later is pointless.

From an atheists point of view, I would say that generally any person who grows up a christian and remains one their entire lives has been taught one thing and has not questioned. But that is inconclusive, because I know there are christians around who grew up going to church, went through a stage of doubt and questioning until they sorted out their beliefs, then went back. So they were taught to think in a certain way, but they were able to question.

In the end I don't think they can be made to not question later. Sure, depending on their circumstances, some children will grow up and never question. But I think this is less to do with the parents than it is to do with all their other influences, such as friends, media (TV, internet, etc), books, and so on.

Agree with you

It also have to do what kind of person you are. It depends how smart you are, how educated you are, how you work mentaly and so on.

I think the surrondings is one of the most importent, just as you pointed out athoughtfulman. If your surronded by religious fanatics and you parents are that too, then you probably wind up becoming one too.

However knowledge is the key to solve all this and which make you think on your own. If you let other think for you then you can become to believe nearly anything.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "Brave & Coward" misused words OP/ED Brian37 13 2350 January 18, 2016 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  New Jurassic World Trailer Alex K 42 4771 December 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm
Last Post: Alex K