Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 8:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
lucent vs reverendjeremiah - official debate
lucent vs reverendjeremiah - official debate
This forum is for the official debate between lucent and reverendjeremiah. The topic will be theism vs atheism. It is a formal pro/con debate and will be open to audience questions after the conclusion of the debate. Questions will be relevant to the points of the debate and will abide by the debate rules. No more than 3 questions per post for the audience participation point. Sidebar discussion can be held here.
topic:
This is a pro/con debate, with no scoring. Opponents are attempting to validate their position and invalidate the opponent’s position.
participants:
lucent will be taking the position of the atheist
reverendjeremiah will be taking the position of the theist with beliefs non-denominational and a Trinitarian, as well as a bible literalist and a young earth creationist, original sin, the fall, the life death and resurrection, substitutionary atonement, the second coming, judgment day, heaven and hell as attained from here

rules:
Standard rulles will be found here. Please review them prior to posting.
We'll do it in standard debate format with four rounds:
Opening-Due by Friday 9 Dec 0700 EST
Rebuttal 1- Due by Friday 16 Dec 0700 EST
Rebuttal 2- Due by Friday 23 Dec 0700 EST
Closing - Due by Friday 30 Dec 0700 EST
I will close each round. Continuances or forfeitures should come to me via PM or email.
Addendums will be:
a) that the post count will be 1500 words per post.
b) failure to post a reply without a previously notified absence by the deadline will be considered a forfeiture
c) I expect spell check to be used. Definitions from Webster
d) References and edit notes are necessary, quoting a previous post is not. None of the aforementioned count towards the word counts, which should be posted.

Intros are done, time for opening round. It should outline (in essence) the protagonists understanding of the subject, what they believe to be true. All that being said the floor is now open for proponents to post their opening statements.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

always working on cleaning my windows- me regarding Johari
RE: lucent vs reverendjeremiah - official debate
As a clarification 1500 words will be the post max. That should be plenty for 4 rounds.
"There ought to be a term that would designate those who actually follow the teachings of Jesus, since the word 'Christian' has been largely divorced from those teachings, and so polluted by fundamentalists that it has come to connote their polar opposite: intolerance, vindictive hatred, and bigotry." -- Philip Stater, Huffington Post

As it stands the debate in this current state is concluded. lucent withdrew for personal reasons. He is willing to continue to debate if each side takes their true position. Awaiting agreement from the parties to repost a new timeline and debate between these 2.

This Debate is OFFICIALLY CLOSED by withdraw from lucent. No alternate arrangement could be reached for a continuance. This thread may now be Archived or removed.

What a big surprise ... a flip flopping fundy who can't keep his word, can't be counted on and will likely have the stupidest of excuses.

Typical sheep is typical.
[Image: Evolution.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Official Debate: ChadWooters vs Metis Tiberius 6 5382 August 5, 2015 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Debate: Is there sufficient evidence to believe in evolution? Esquilax 11 7423 November 15, 2014 at 12:19 am
Last Post: Esquilax
  Official Debate: Are the Gospels based on a true story? Rayaan 6 6955 December 24, 2012 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Official Debate -- KnockEmOutt and Jeffonthenet Shell B 9 6506 August 27, 2012 at 2:56 am
Last Post: KnockEmOuttt
  Official Debate - Cinjin v Tackattack tackattack 9 5700 January 28, 2012 at 7:42 am
Last Post: tackattack