Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 5:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
G'day!
G'day!
Hi all,

I've been lurking for a while and figured it was about time I announced myself.

I'm a 35 year old Aussie, have been an atheist for a couple of years. I had doubts for a long time but allowed my emotions to get the better of me (I wanted to believe, so I did Undecided) I joined a few forums and did a lot of reading, and the things that I read (even though some of it went right over my head - I'm no genius...) had me thinking logically and realistically. The straw that broke the camel's back was watching Derren Brown - I have never been convinced so totally of anything, but everything he said made sense. It was a sad realisation at first, but once I came to terms with it, I felt a whole lot better without the needless guilt and fear that comes along with religion.

I'm generally a bit of a lurker, but I'll try to join in where I can. It's great to be here!

Oh, and I'm a huge Mike Patton fan Worship (large)
RE: G'day!
(December 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm)Michelle_Patton Wrote: Oh, and I'm a huge Mike Patton fan Worship (large)

I kind of guessed that.. Big Grin

Hi Michelle! Welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome!

Realizing I had been lied to my whole life, and that there was no gods was kind of a bummer for me too, so I can relate.

We have lots of Aussies around here. You'll fit right in.
Welcome Michelle
[Image: Evolution.png]

Welcome to AF. We all lurk down here.
(December 15, 2011 at 3:56 am)Shell B Wrote: Welcome to AF. We all lurk down here.

down here?

I rather think that we're above it all ... making us UP here. Big Grin
[Image: Evolution.png]

Thanks all!

(December 15, 2011 at 3:56 am)Shell B Wrote: Welcome to AF. We all lurk down here.

Ooooh, a Stephen King fan? It's one of my favourite books - what a crap movie though!
Hi Michelle, as you're an aussie should I lock my personal belongings away? Big Grin
(December 14, 2011 at 10:23 pm)Michelle_Patton Wrote: Oh, and I'm a huge Mike Patton fan Worship (large)

Welcome fellow fan! What's your favorite project? I prefer this one...

I'm looking to get into Fantomas next.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell