Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 19, 2024, 9:08 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bad News but Not Unexpected
Bad News but Not Unexpected
http://apnews.excite.com/article/2011121...DBS81.html

Quote:WASHINGTON (AP) - Christopher Hitchens, the author, essayist and polemicist who waged verbal and occasional physical battle on behalf of causes left and right and wrote the provocative best-seller "God is Not Great," died Thursday night after a long battle with cancer. He was 62.

I'm sure theistic morons everywhere are thinking that their fucking god finally struck back.
RE: Bad News but Not Unexpected
Oblivion has added one to it's tally, sadly it was one of my favourite people.
Very sad news. It's a horrific way for anyone to die. I hope that he was at least comfortable at the end.
I can't wait until all the apologists start turning out claims that he repented on his deathbed.

Well, if that happens, he'll have good company, as the same thing happened to Darwin.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
The main difference here is that Darwin had nothing to repent. He was vilified despite his Christianity, which was, at best, agnosticism at times. Hitch was a dick to Christians. *applause* He is definitely getting "good luck in hells" and not claims that he repented. They hate him. The very idea of him going to heaven I am sure appalls them.

I never read much of anything that has to do with atheism, as I find the topic boring, really. There isn't much to say. However, the man was a hell of a writer from what I hear and that is always a talent sorely missed.
(December 16, 2011 at 2:03 am)theVOID Wrote: Oblivion has added one to it's tally, sadly it was one of my favourite people.

Sadly it was my favourite person Sad
(December 16, 2011 at 3:51 am)orogenicman Wrote: I can't wait until all the apologists start turning out claims that he repented on his deathbed.

Well, if that happens, he'll have good company, as the same thing happened to Darwin.

This actually started happening a few weeks ago.
(December 16, 2011 at 2:03 am)theVOID Wrote: Oblivion has added one to it's tally, sadly it was one of my favourite people.
Same here, loved how outspoken he was, I know it was just a figure of speech but of course we can't sensibly add anything to nothingness. Oblivion is "heavenly" in that there's no pain, and so I can be happy that Chris is therefore no longer suffering in agony from his rogue and immortal cancer-cells.

(December 16, 2011 at 3:51 am)orogenicman Wrote: Well, if that happens, he'll have good company, as the same thing happened to Darwin.
Darwin did not revert back to Christianity on his sickbed. That was a bogus claim fabricated by Evangelist, Elizabeth Hope. The story has no validity. Darwin's children denied it outright as utter rubbish and it was dismissed as false by historians.
Darwin wasn't an atheist. How could he have reverted back? It was a stupid claim, made by someone obviously ignorant of his beliefs.
@Shell

Hitchens was a fabulous writer and I believe his best works are his essays, which are so much better than his writings on religion,of which I also enjoyed.

I read a few of his books, and adored them. He was a masterful writer! He shaped my ways of thinking in more ways than any other, and I am really bummed he is gone. If there is a hell, and he is in it right now, then I wouldn't want to go anywhere else when I kick the bucket.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lest the katholicks get all the bad press.... Minimalist 2 1417 August 11, 2010 at 11:18 am
Last Post: Cego_Colher