Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 12:07 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence
RE: Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence
(November 11, 2015 at 5:32 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: I responded to the examples with what wsas
(November 11, 2015 at 5:20 pm)Thumpalumpacus Wrote: It is so easily verified that your comparison is irrelevant.

I was responding to the example with what was given and was supplied in a similar context (someone else making a claim).   It wasn't my comparison and I was only responding to the evidence of people making a claim, and not attempting further investigation.  If you are going to go that route, then I don't think that the claim it is raining outside, is comparable to the earth is round.  One takes more work to verify than the other.

How so? And how would your explanation comport with your earlier posts in this thread?

(November 11, 2015 at 5:44 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: Do you only believe that which you can personally verify?
No. As I mentioned in the past, I believe what other people say if I have good information about how they establish their own beliefs. If they adopted them by culture, then I see little value in it (except cultural belonging). If they adopted them through good science, then when they say that "x molecule is introduced into a solution including y molecule, resulting in z molecule," then I will generally believe them. If they say, "I feeeeel the power of the loooooorrrrrd," then not so much, because I do not consider intuition a sufficient means of establishing truth.

Quote:   By the way, I think many have mistakenly assumed that I am looking to turn this into a thread showing evidence for God.... I'm gathering the arguments used against me here, to use against common descent evolution.  I have lots of new material, and best of all, I don't really have to investigate or understand the claims to use them.  Much less leg work involved.
Well, that makes you more interesting than I expected you to be. I look forward to seeing how your argument plays out, and I'm expecting a thread soon.
Make sure you actually challenge the theory of evolution, and not a series of statements that the ToE does not make. I can't tell you how often that happens on this board. I'd suggest some prior research.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 11, 2015 at 4:23 am)ignoramus Wrote: Extraordinary convincing religious proof comes from extraordinary mental gymnastics.

Nope. Mental gymnastics may indeed be involved but there's nothing convincing about religion and there is no proof in it!
That's because you are not a religious Olympic quality gymnast!
They do quadruple backflips without cracking a sweat!
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
Yeah they sure as hell do.

My points still stand.
You know what? You're right? Extraordinary evidence is probably too much to ask.

How about one? Just one tiny, measly fucking shred of actual, empirical, convincing evidence of even one of your claims, and I'll believe you. Go ahead. I'll wait.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
The usual problem with religious claims (let's be honest, where else is this going... I have tried to ask) is that they are almost always untestable and unfalsifiable. That literally means there can be no conclusive evidence, for or against. That is a problem for the person making the claim to either sort out, or to stop making the pointless claim.

For example: "Jesus (assuming he existed) was the son of God."

"God answered my prayer."

"The devil has corrupted the world."

Unfalsifiable. Untestable. Useless.

If anyone doesn't understand this point, please ask and I will elaborate.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(November 11, 2015 at 4:21 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(November 11, 2015 at 11:35 am)TheRealJoeFish Wrote: If the same standard was applicable to "it's raining" and "god exists," we would be able to stick our head out the window, look up, and see both

In the context of the discussion all I am arguing for is that similar claims, should be treated fairly and consistently. I do agree, that where you can physically verify the claim for yourself, then it is good to do so. However for many thing is this large world, we cannot do that with.

Although according to some, in the Witness Evidence thread I started, your observation that it is or is not raining my not be reliable.

Then how about you start talking to other Christians first? And come back here when you all get your story straight.
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(November 11, 2015 at 5:44 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:  I'm gathering the arguments used against me here, to use against common descent evolution.  I have lots of new material, and best of all, I don't really have to investigate or understand the claims to use them.  Much less leg work involved.
You're going to need evidence "against common descent evolution".  Argument alone will be insufficient.  In this case, it won't need to be extraordinary, any ordinary evidence will do, like the mountains of ordinary evidence suggesting common descent that you can find in every single living creature on earth....... As it stands, common descent is a -fact- for every species we've checked, but we haven't checked them all, and there may be an outlier out there.

Shouldn't be difficult, you only need to find a single subject of a single species of animal unrelated to the others. Go, do work.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Video Neurosurgeon Provides Evidence Against Materialism Guard of Guardians 41 4679 June 17, 2019 at 10:40 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12528 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Testimony is Evidence RoadRunner79 588 119532 September 13, 2017 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  Is the statement "Claims demand evidence" always true? Mudhammam 268 33952 February 3, 2017 at 6:44 pm
Last Post: WisdomOfTheTrees
  Anecdotal Evidence RoadRunner79 395 54631 December 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  What philosophical evidence is there against believing in non-physical entities? joseph_ 150 13041 September 3, 2016 at 11:26 am
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  The nature of evidence Wryetui 150 15822 May 6, 2016 at 6:21 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Witness Evidence RoadRunner79 248 36907 December 17, 2015 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Miracles are useless as evidence Pizza 0 1246 March 15, 2015 at 7:37 pm
Last Post: Pizza
  On the nature of evidence. trmof 125 27689 October 26, 2014 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut