Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 12:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is America the greatest country
RE: Is America the greatest country
Yes. Big Grin

(December 10, 2015 at 2:40 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: I think the US is the greatest country. I don't think it's perfect by any means, but I think we are better off than any other overall.

..And I'm not even originally from America. I'm very grateful to be here.

Aren't you some Brazilian or something?  Tongue
Off topic but while reading something else I found a footnote to a book that is right up C/L's alley:

http://www.amazon.com/Survey-Contemporar...+excretion

The Biogeochemistry of Vertebrate Excretion     Paperback – 1950

by George Evelyn Hutchinson

Seems to be out of print but there are a couple of used copies available.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled rant.
(December 11, 2015 at 1:18 am)Minimalist Wrote: Daniel's character has a little too rosy a view of the past.  Our history  reminds me of Napoleon's observation that "history is a lie agreed upon."

He nailed the present pretty well.

Yep imperialist UK and US were basically nazi Germany victorious for a while, albeit without the final solution.  But there was still the presumption of running other countries for your own ends.  Even after it wasn't okay to be openly imperialist the CIA has acted covertly to manipulate other governments for our own ends.  None of that is honorable or anything to be proud about.

In a modern world where no one expects to push another country's people into oblivion so as to colonize their territory, reciprocity and fair dealing are what I expect from every country.  So long as my own won't embrace being a good citizen of the world community while clinging to illusions of grandiosity I'll always have to cringe when these kinds of comparisons come up.
@OP Q.

-Yup. Also, fuck the haters?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
WW2 seems to be the turning point.  Prior to 1900 we were fixated on subjugating the Indians, building an industrial base and fighting the Civil War and everything that led up to it.  Of course we had the Monroe Doctrine (which luckily we never had to enforce against a capable military power) to keep Europe out of the Americas and we did some minor damage starting around 1890.  Usually interventions in Latin America were in support of business interests....which is still effectively what we do now.

I highly recommend Oliver Stones' "Untold History of the United States."  It starts with WW2 and that is a weakness of the series but from that point on it gives a different view of history than the whitewashed version we cling to.
New Zealand sounds like a good country to me.

Supposedly it's the most peaceful country in the world.

I once knew someone from the UK who said their dream was to live in NZ, they sold their house to move there, risked everything.

They said it was the best decision they'd ever made in their life.
Having the biggest and baddest weapons of war does not greatness make. That's all the US ever had, it's only in recent decades that its own self-infatuation has started to crack.
[Image: rySLj1k.png]

If you have any serious concerns, are being harassed, or just need someone to talk to, feel free to contact me via PM
(December 11, 2015 at 12:26 pm)Kaiser Wrote: Having the biggest and baddest weapons of war does not greatness make. That's all the US ever had, it's only in recent decades that its own self-infatuation has started to crack.

On the other hand, at least none of our rulers who actually have a say in making our laws enjoy lifetime job security. Sometimes I'm not sure whether that wouldn't be worse, and would embrace it with the stipulation that their lives be subject to routine referendum.
Mr. Hanky loves you!
(December 11, 2015 at 12:26 pm)Kaiser Wrote: Having the biggest and baddest weapons of war does not greatness make. That's all the US ever had, it's only in recent decades that its own self-infatuation has started to crack.

No, we've had a lot more than that, it's just that people tend to focus on things like weapons, not national parks or research facilities or roller coasters.

Maybe it would help if the OP defined what was intended by "greatest?"

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  An interesting read concerning atheism in america. brewer 11 761 January 3, 2022 at 12:46 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Andrew Zimmern, "What's Eating America".. Brian37 36 4004 February 17, 2020 at 11:32 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Born in the wrong country Alexmahone 3 925 April 20, 2018 at 5:35 pm
Last Post: Enlightened Ape
  Coming to America Cyberman 49 4368 January 13, 2018 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Space Slug / Greatest movie one criteria hostile merger! ignoramus 8 1358 September 14, 2017 at 7:46 am
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Things You Don't Like About Other Countries ( America Gets Immunity) Amarok 61 9364 April 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: brewer
  What's your favorite thing about the country you live in? Edwardo Piet 48 8449 February 9, 2017 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Why <insert-country-name-here> is a disgrace! Tiberius 29 6218 February 6, 2016 at 11:12 pm
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Today I visited the largest ______ in North America... Mudhammam 11 2542 September 27, 2015 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  To everyone: do you pay to visit the beach in your country? rado84 53 9835 July 22, 2015 at 5:32 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie