Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 4:24 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop morality
RE: pop morality
(March 1, 2016 at 10:47 am)Redbeard The Pink Wrote:
(January 27, 2016 at 11:45 am)Drich Wrote: Pop morality is a term I use to describe what the popular culture deems moral.

You mean like how it used to be so popular to kill witches and homosexuals?

Yes!
(March 1, 2016 at 10:14 am)Drich Wrote: My thoughts on the subject of morality are to try and get some of you to think outside the little boxes your 'morality' has placed you in. I want to show you how it has you hand over the controls of all aspects of your life, even how you think, to someone else/society if they challenge your morality in the correct context.

I am trying to show you, your chains so you can free your mind.

That's strange, I'm almost certain that you've been entreating me not to free my mind or any other part of me, but to consign myself to obedience to your shameful, slave-driving god. 

I'll leave the whole abandoning morality bit to you...you seem inclined in ways that I'm simply not and will never be. Is that another "gift" god gave you?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(March 1, 2016 at 10:09 am)Drich Wrote: only if you feel you were 'entitled' to more, and can not see past your own selfishness.

Hey hey, missed this one.  Snipped the babbling parts and filler clips.

Let's dig up some dead farmers so we can tell them they weren't entitled to anything other than the life you described, and that if they ever thought that maybe, just maybe they were..it was only because of their selfishness.

Add insult to injury, why not.....can't imagine who wouldn't love to hear that.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(February 29, 2016 at 11:47 pm)Rhythm Wrote: He also seems to think that his family narrative as being part of the oppressed is unique, that it gives him special insight.  Perhaps he doesn't understand that many of us have share croppers in our families, in living memory, at the least...and yet we still manage to see why this, in addition to slavery, was both wrong and unnecessary.  That it was exploitation.

I don't have share croppers, but I do have jews. I've always been reminded of the fact, because there's next to no extended family since 1945.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 1, 2016 at 10:14 am)Drich Wrote:
(March 1, 2016 at 9:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: Why are you still babbling about morality, you don't recognize -any- morality?  All that concerns you is obedience to your master.  What's left, for you, to say about morality after that?  You excused yourself from that subject...now you want back in?

My thoughts on the subject of morality are to try and get some of you to think outside the little boxes your 'morality' has placed you in. I want to show you how it has you hand over the controls of all aspects of your life, even how you think, to someone else/society if they challenge your morality in the correct context.

I am trying to show you, your chains so you can free your mind.

Describe the box I am thinking inside of (so as to see it) describe the chains that bind my mind (so as to try to free them)
You must understand that in general the religious tend to adhere to these boxes and chains as compared to the non religious.
Also you must be aware that non believers are constantly bombarded with any and all tactics to get us "back to Jesus" as it were. So unfortunatly your message of "free you mind" is difficult to believe when it is a religious source.
I will try but you do see the problem.
I find it quite ironic that someone who's thinking is firmly constrained by iron age philosophy is accusing anyone of thinking inside the box.

It would be truly hysterical if it wasn't so sad.
(February 29, 2016 at 3:13 pm)Drich Wrote:
(February 29, 2016 at 2:28 pm)downbeatplumb Wrote: Am I getting this right. To Drich god cannot do bad things because god is by being god good and as god is the only arbiter of good allowed god can do what the fuck she wants and still be good. Is this it or is Drich less coherent than I thought?

What I am saying is 'we' with out God can not reliably identify Good or Bad. We see as 'good' to be something that benefits us. we see Bad as something harmful. However we can not see long term effects so we judge 'good and bad' on what we 'feel' the results of an action are right away. Rather than being to determine 'good or bad' on a larger long term scale.

In that case you can use the idea of "god" to justify any horror and I reject the silly idea even more than I used to.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(February 29, 2016 at 3:13 pm)Drich Wrote: What I am saying is 'we' with out God can not reliably identify Good or Bad. We see as 'good' to be something that benefits us. we see Bad as something harmful. However we can not see long term effects so we judge 'good and bad' on what we 'feel' the results of an action are right away. Rather than being to determine 'good or bad' on a larger long term scale.

That says a whole lot more about yourself than you probably wanted to admit. And it says a whole lot more about your kind of morality than it says about religious values.

So, if there wasn't a god in your believes, you would be a selfish prick. Only looking for your own benefit. I'm not surprised and I've heard that a lot from some theists. They don't admit it, of course, but the reasoning is always the same. If there wasn't god, we would act in an entirely selfish way. One even went as far, can't remember who it was, to say that it's the only thing preventing him from going on a crime spree.
[Image: Bumper+Sticker+-+Asheville+-+Praise+Dog3.JPG]
(March 1, 2016 at 11:54 am)Rhythm Wrote:
(March 1, 2016 at 10:09 am)Drich Wrote: only if you feel you were 'entitled' to more, and can not see past your own selfishness.

Let's dig up some dead farmers so we can tell them they weren't entitled to anything other than the life you described, and that if they ever thought that maybe, just maybe they were..it was only because of their selfishness.

How can you possably say any of that if you have indeed read any of what I wrote?

aliegence to God =/= strict obediance.

Again for like the 10th time, God knows we can not obtain righteousness by following the law He has set... Do you understand this? It means God never expected us to follow the complete law, as a way to become righteous. That is why Jesus died, so we could exchange our righteousness for His. Once we accept Christ's righteousness we are free from the law as our means to obtain righteousness before God.

Do you understand what this means?

Freedom from the law means we are not judged 'good/bad' by what we do. It means all the trivial shite' you guys fuss over as being moral or immoral has not real 'good or bad' value to God, and because of that we are no longer judged by it.. This is the 'freedom' in which the Bible tells us about.
(March 1, 2016 at 11:54 am)Rhythm Wrote:

Straw man sport. I didn't say they were only entitled to the life i described. do you see how you had to quote me mid sentence to make your point? If you have to cut and paste little bits and pieces together inorder to create a narrative you want or think you can argue, then know you failed right from the start because you created a straw man fallacy.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2966 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9507 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7818 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6299 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7614 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8342 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 18104 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 37025 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4289 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality dyresand 46 13909 November 8, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: genkaus