Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 5, 2024, 5:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Natural Order and Science
RE: Natural Order and Science
(March 15, 2016 at 5:02 am)Harris Wrote: Are you gone nuts? 100 million plus people have lost their lives and you are saying them “Bunch of People.”

Those insane butchers had used most modern and sophisticated scientific technologies of the time in a precise and systematic manner to slaughter everyone who believed in the existence of God.

Every single person who favoured the use of eugenics to produce super human breed, who favoured social structure without religion, or who favoured both was equally responsible for that butchery.

Who the fuck are you talking about?
(March 15, 2016 at 5:47 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 5:02 am)Harris Wrote: Are you gone nuts? 100 million plus people have lost their lives and you are saying them “Bunch of People.”

Those insane butchers had used most modern and sophisticated scientific technologies of the time in a precise and systematic manner to slaughter everyone who believed in the existence of God.

Every single person who favoured the use of eugenics to produce super human breed, who favoured social structure without religion, or who favoured both was equally responsible for that butchery.

Who the fuck are you talking about?

My guess is, IBM computers and the Railroad??? Who the fuck knows!
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.
Psalm 14, KJV revised edition

Ah, I missed that. He is blaming science for technology too. Technology kills people. He actually is blaming the gun for the murder.

He thinks we should all live in mud huts. But ones made by faith, and not any systematic approach.

No sane person would claim science is only ever used for good. But no sane person would accuse it of things, as if it's an intelligent entity.

I've been thinking of doing a video about what science actually is, because people like this seem to have no clue.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 15, 2016 at 5:50 am)robvalue Wrote: I've been thinking of doing a video about what science actually is, because people like this seem to have no clue.

Can you make one about what the theory of evolution actually is and isn't, says and doesn't say, because that seems to be a very important example.
The fool hath said in his heart, There is a God. They are corrupt, they have done abominable works, there is none that doeth good.

That's a good idea!

Yeah sure. I'll give that some thought Smile
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 15, 2016 at 5:06 am)Harris Wrote:
(March 13, 2016 at 5:54 am)Mathilda Wrote: No we're not. Science has a good understanding of how order arises out of chaos. We can explain the formation of galaxies, solar systems, planets, chemistry, biology, evolution, intelligence, societies and technology to a greater or lesser degree. There is no room for god. The gap for your god is so small as to make it irrelevant if all it did was to create the Big Bang.

By the help of chaos, you are trying to convince yourself that universe emerged out of nothing. That is exactly what I am saying about you. But, what is the origin of chaos if your theory is true?

Chaos depends over already existing paraphernalia which is not “Nothing”. In order to explain chaos, you first need to explain that paraphernalia.

Who cares what the origin of chaos is? I said " Science has a good understanding of how order arises out of chaos"

I can demonstrate this on a computer. A chaotic system in which order and complexity arises locally if you make it thermodynamically plausible.

Read and understand what I said rather than try to answer a completely different point. What you are doing is making a strawman argument.

(March 15, 2016 at 5:06 am)Harris Wrote:
(March 13, 2016 at 5:54 am)Mathilda Wrote: If that was so you would be able to produce observable and reproducible evidence for this. You can't because you're talking bollocks. If what you were saying were true science would have figured out these rules before you were even born. But because you'll just ignore what I have said, show us a natural coding system that "regulates all actions in the universe to such a precision that minuscule change in universal constants can restructure the universe to such an extent that it will be beyond recognition" I shall continue asking you this question until you answer it.

As being a Ph.D. you should know what is “Fine Tuning.”

This does not answer my question. Or if it does then you haven't explained how.

Show us a natural coding system that "regulates all actions in the universe to such a precision that minuscule change in universal constants can restructure the universe to such an extent that it will be beyond recognition"
(March 15, 2016 at 5:07 am)Harris Wrote: I am not a fan of Irreducible Complexity Argument but I do support the idea that if a part is taken away from an organism and it stops functioning then that organism is irreducible.

This is completely irrelevant, you are also equivocating with the word 'irreducible'. Take away banks and the economy collapses, that doesn't mean to say that the economy was created in a single instance. The role of banks grew as economies and societies developed over time.
(March 15, 2016 at 5:18 am)Alex K Wrote:
(March 15, 2016 at 5:08 am)Harris Wrote: “Darwinism by itself did not produce the Holocaust, but without Darwinism... neither Hitler nor his Nazi followers would have had the necessary scientific underpinnings to convince themselves and their collaborators that one of the world’s greatest atrocities was really morally praiseworthy.”

Richard Weikart,
From Darwin to Hitler:
Evolutionary Ethics, Eugenics, and Racism in Germany

Source:
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/tag/eugenics

Well, what can I say, he is wrong...

Harris should read The Anatomy of Fascism by Robert O Paxton for the process that led to the holocaust.

To summarise, the Nazis were trying to export the Jews and weren't able to. They wanted to export them to Russia. The more countries they conquered the more Jews they had to deal with. Nazis who were in charge of conquered countries also did not want Jews sent to them. Different regions developed their own ways to deal with the Jews including mass murder. There was a cycle of radicalisation between Nazi members and Nazi leaders. Eventually the decision was taken to exterminate them in an organised way.

Harris is trying to paint the Nazi movement as some form of Atheistic ideology when they were largely Catholic.
@Mathilda,

I think a maybe more relevant point is why they wanted to get rid of the Jews in the first place - because Darwin's theory of evolution says so? Of course not. Maybe somehow because of some scientific conclusion derived from Darwin's theory of evolution? Not even that.

Last point: even if they had hated and killed the Jews because they were somehow "inspired" by Darwin's theory of evolution to do so, would that make the science wrong? No. The theory of nuclear fission is no less true because it was used to killed hundreds of thousands of civilians. And the theory of nuclear fission was even directly instrumental in building the atomic bombs, as opposed to the ToE, which does not apply to nor is the basis for the Holocaust in any comparable sense.

(March 15, 2016 at 5:11 am)Harris Wrote: 1. Quran is the only literature (scripture) in the world that is not yet corrupted in about 1,500 years. I count it no less than a miracle.

So what?

If it's ignorant crap written by bronze age goat herders then why is it supposed to be a good thing that it hasn't been updated as our understanding has developed? The whole point of the scientific method is that allows our understanding of the real world to be refined and corrected as new evidence is obtained.

(March 15, 2016 at 5:11 am)Harris Wrote: 2. Quran does not have:

a.   Historical errors
b.   Scientific errors
c.   Mathematical errors
d.   Contradictory texts
e.   Discrepancies &
f.    Evidences that may confirm human writings

Neither do other fairy tales. This is because they do not talk about anything resembling reality.

In fact your criteria could apply to a telephone book as well. Or a dictionary, or a thesaurus. Perhaps not the complete works of Shakespeare though, I am sure that contains some historical errors.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Relationship between programming languages and natural languages FlatAssembler 13 1265 June 12, 2023 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Does a natural "god" maybe exist? Skeptic201 19 1731 November 27, 2022 at 7:46 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  The difference between computing and science. highdimensionman 0 376 February 25, 2022 at 11:54 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7711 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Do Humans have a Natural State? Shining_Finger 13 2569 April 1, 2016 at 4:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  The relationship between Science and Philosophy Dolorian 14 5270 October 3, 2014 at 11:27 pm
Last Post: HopOnPop
  Natural Laws, and Causation. TheBigOhMan 3 1620 June 4, 2013 at 11:45 pm
Last Post: TheBigOhMan
  Shit man, im a natural born killer! Disciple 37 16267 April 28, 2012 at 8:57 pm
Last Post: Cinjin