Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 8:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop morality
RE: pop morality
(March 31, 2016 at 6:24 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Actually, my issue with the Christian god is that he's pathetically small and petty. Seriously, you're literally claiming that Yahweh, the alleged creator of hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundreds of billions of stars (around which presumably are numerous habitable planets) is so in agreement with the prejudices of one tribe of Bronze/Iron Age goatherders that he's deeply concerned with how the humans have sex with each other, and other similar nonsense... and wants to make sure some humans bother others about it.

Again, you could see this as clearly as you see it for Zeus and Shiva and Thor, if only you weren't conditioned otherwise.

Oh, yes...I could see the light as you have if only I weren't "conditioned".

Which doesn't exactly account for the conversions of scientists and philosophers who were raised as atheists and then became Christians as a result of their research into the facts and philosophical arguments. But you can't see THAT because of YOUR conditioning.  Rolleyes

But more importantly, no, Rocket, I'm claiming that the God of the Universe...who is every bit as big as your astronomical verbiage suggests and more, btw...really is concerned with us because HE MADE US AND LOVES US.

You have this completely backwards. It's not that God is "pathetically small and petty" because He is concerned for us. Instead, we who are pathetically small and petty are raised up from our lowly state by Him who is above all things. Amen!  Worship
Yeah, I can just imagine God sitting there going "Wow, I can't believe all these people are going against the rules these Bronze Age people handed down to them! They're working on Sunday! They're having sex without getting married! I love them, but I'm going to judge them guilty and send them to hell for this. This is consistent and logical and not at all a mirror of the values of Bronze Age Superstitious zealots who made this shit up."

I mean I'm willing to accept the possibility there's a God. But it's not your fucking god that's for sure. Jesus wasn't God, and neither is Yahweh. They're nothing more than shitty fictional characters written by people who were nothing more than ignorant savages.
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton
(March 31, 2016 at 6:42 pm)athrock Wrote:
(March 31, 2016 at 6:24 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Actually, my issue with the Christian god is that he's pathetically small and petty. Seriously, you're literally claiming that Yahweh, the alleged creator of hundreds of billions of galaxies with hundreds of billions of stars (around which presumably are numerous habitable planets) is so in agreement with the prejudices of one tribe of Bronze/Iron Age goatherders that he's deeply concerned with how the humans have sex with each other, and other similar nonsense... and wants to make sure some humans bother others about it.

Again, you could see this as clearly as you see it for Zeus and Shiva and Thor, if only you weren't conditioned otherwise.

Oh, yes...I could see the light as you have if only I weren't "conditioned".

Which doesn't exactly account for the conversions of scientists and philosophers who were raised as atheists and then became Christians as a result of their research into the facts and philosophical arguments. But you can't see THAT because of YOUR conditioning.  Rolleyes

But more importantly, no, Rocket, I'm claiming that the God of the Universe...who is every bit as big as your astronomical verbiage suggests and more, btw...really is concerned with us because HE MADE US AND LOVES US.

You have this completely backwards. It's not that God is "pathetically small and petty" because He is concerned for us. Instead, we who are pathetically small and petty are raised up from our lowly state by Him who is above all things. Amen!  Worship

Ew.
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
(March 31, 2016 at 6:42 pm)athrock Wrote: You have this completely backwards. It's not that God is "pathetically small and petty" because He is concerned for us. Instead, we who are pathetically small and petty are raised up from our lowly state by Him who is above all things. Amen!  Worship

My conditioning?

[Image: 2767773-wait-wut-jpg.jpg]

Do you think we go to atheist camp, or something?
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Important questions for theists:

What are the goals of morality?

How do you know if you are achieving those goals?

Why should I care about your proposed goals?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
-and what will happen if I don't.   Wink
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(April 1, 2016 at 12:25 am)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: My conditioning?

[Image: 2767773-wait-wut-jpg.jpg]

Do you think we go to atheist camp, or something?

Imagining some of the denizens here (me included) as camp counselors is pretty scary . .
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(March 29, 2016 at 7:08 pm)Kitan Wrote: Am I the only one who associates the term pop morality with the older generation hating the modern music of younger generations?  

If one's morality deems one remain in the dark ages, no thank you.

Therefore, fuck that dark age morality that included too many atrocities worth remembering.

That's the big picture of this thread kitan.. In that pop morality will come full circle meaning without absolutes and guidlines that do not change you are doomed to repeat the 'morality' of dark ages again.
(March 31, 2016 at 10:02 pm)Cecelia Wrote: Yeah, I can just imagine God sitting there going "Wow, I can't believe all these people are going against the rules these Bronze Age people handed down to them!  They're working on Sunday!  They're having sex without getting married!  I love them, but I'm going to judge them guilty and send them to hell for this.  This is consistent and logical and not at all a mirror of the values of Bronze Age Superstitious zealots who made this shit up."

I mean I'm willing to accept the possibility there's a God.  But it's not your fucking god that's for sure.  Jesus wasn't God, and neither is Yahweh.  They're nothing more than shitty fictional characters written by people who were nothing more than ignorant savages.

Says the person who does not even grasp the basics of Christianity.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2958 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9483 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7811 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6296 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7614 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8341 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 18088 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 37008 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4287 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality dyresand 46 13907 November 8, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: genkaus