Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 7:20 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
pop morality
RE: pop morality
(April 1, 2016 at 1:12 am)robvalue Wrote: Important questions for theists:

1What are the goals of morality?

2How do you know if you are achieving those goals?

3Why should I care about your proposed goals?

1)To abolish works based thinking.

2)When one does not judge another based on what he has and has not done.

3) It removes or invalidates performance based judgement and takes the mantel of righteousness you all so desperatly try and earn, and makes it a gift. Why is this important? Because it means sinners (those who can not help but sin, yet who hate their sin) can be found righteous without living perfect lives.

4) destruction in Hell
Wow, OK...

That's really not what I was expecting. Thanks for answering.

Can you explain what your answer to number 1 means? It doesn't seem to include anything about human wellbeing whatsoever.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
OK, and the only reason I should care about this morality is that I'll be punished if I don't.

Is that about right?

I'll be interested to hear what this purpose of morality actually means, and whether it has anything to do with human wellbeing.

No other theists... No one else knows what the goal of their morality is?
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(April 1, 2016 at 2:34 pm)robvalue Wrote: Can you explain what your answer to number 1 means? It doesn't seem to include anything about human wellbeing whatsoever.

It's Paul's unique flavor on Christianity, since Jesus seems to heavily to have favored humanist actions in order to get into heaven, such as the sell everything that you have and give it to the poor stuff. Of course, they deny that's what Jesus meant literally (which is odd, since everything else they like is literal except the parables, which are clearly parbles), because it violates the Paulianity Cult's ideas he so kindly outlined for us, above.

Catholics aren't the only ones who favor that Pauline theological explanation of salvation, but they're most apt to favor it. There are numerous old jokes, made before the clergy molestation scandals made it the easy target for Catholicism, about how Catholics like to torment themselves with their unworthiness. I've told it before, but it's my favorite atheist joke:

"An atheist dies and goes to Hell. Of course, he's very surprised by this! But there it is: the River Styx, and the opening of the great iron gates beneath the sign 'Abandon All Hope Ye Who Enter Here'. Standing there, as the gates open, is Satan himself, all ten feet of glistening red demon-flesh, bat-wings, hooves, tail, and all. In a booming voice, Satan says 'Welcome, lost soul, to your eternity in Hell.' 

"Thrembling with fear, the atheist follows the massive bat-wing-covered back as Satan turns to lead him in. He can't really hear what Satan is saying, so overcome is he with shock and terror at finding himself in this situation. But after a few seconds, he starts to look around and notices that he's walking on lush grass. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and all around him he sees people having a great time; they're laughing together around picnic baskets, they're riding roller coasters, they're engaging in orgies, and basically having the best time anyone can imagine.

"Satan finally stops droning on about Hell long enough to notice his new charge has fallen behind. He returns and tells the atheist, 'Oh man I'm sorry, I always forget to tell new people. All that stuff you heard about us from the other side? Total propaganda! They're just trying to win converts by scaring you while you're there on earth. Can you blame them? Great tactic; wish I'd thought of it. Don't worry, we're cool as can be, here. Anything you want, and I mean anything, all you have to do is ask!

"The atheist is greatly relieved by this, as you can imagine, and starts to listen as Satan continues the tour. But then it happens! They crest a hill and there it is, The Lake of Fire™, containing billions of souls in flaming agony, tearing their flesh from their own bodies as it burns, only to have it regrow again instantly, and wailing in self-pitying agony.

"The atheist recoils in horror, but Satan rushes to calm him: 'Dude! Don't worry. This is just for the Cathlics. *shrug* They insisted!!!"

Big Grin
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

Interesting, thanks Big Grin

So... Drich is saying morality isn't about being a good person, it's just about following arbitrary rules a dictator has laid out? Is that right?

Wow that sounds likes a blast.

No, wait... he said morality is about abolishing works based thinking. So I succeed by going around doing the abolishing? What if there is none to abolish? Do I still win?

Index of my best videos
Wasn't there something about imbibing poison and bebothering serpents too ??

Not really 'works', it seems, handling a serpent doesn't feed the naked nor clothe the hungry, it's just a sign the rest of us could note that the indoctrination took hold I think . . . .

Shy
 The granting of a pardon is an imputation of guilt, and the acceptance a confession of it. 

(April 1, 2016 at 10:08 pm)vorlon13 Wrote:  it's just a sign the rest of us could note that the indoctrination took hold I think . . . .

Yeah, it's just like our indoctrination, where we repeat "Hail Richard Dawkins, full of brains, the science is with thee; blessed art thou among researchers, and blessed is the fruit of thy mind, evolution. Doctor Dawkins, father of the meme, think for us heathens, now and until the hour of our death. Amen." at least forty times at our weekly Atheist Camp meetings.

Angel
A Christian told me: if you were saved you cant lose your salvation. you're sealed with the Holy Ghost

I replied: Can I refuse? Because I find the entire concept of vicarious blood sacrifice atonement to be morally abhorrent, the concept of holding flawed creatures permanently accountable for social misbehaviors and thought crimes to be morally abhorrent, and the concept of calling something "free" when it comes with the strings of subjugation and obedience perhaps the most morally abhorrent of all... and that's without even going into the history of justifying genocide, slavery, rape, misogyny, religious intolerance, and suppression of free speech which has been attributed by your own scriptures to your deity. I want a refund. I would burn happily rather than serve the monster you profess to love.

(April 1, 2016 at 7:12 pm)robvalue Wrote: OK, and the only reason I should care about this morality is that I'll be punished if I don't.

Is that about right?

I'll be interested to hear what this purpose of morality actually means, and whether it has anything to do with human wellbeing.

No other theists... No one else knows what the goal of their morality is?

The goal of this morality (according to Drich) is to demonstrate what stupid, dirty-birdie, demonic ass-faces humans actually are:
Gotcha! It's impossible to be "moral" or good enough. Humans are too gross to hang with God!

Only accepting Magic Jesus' gift can make us "righteous" in his Father's eyes. Accept it, and gain freedom from sweating any of this Morality crap. 

It matters NOT; The penalty's already been paid. The rules no longer apply once you're above The Law.

Of course, the OP suggests that Drich doesn't see how this mindset can and DOES pose the same danger to society as unchecked popular morality; Or that he simply doesn't care.

And why should Drich or his god give a shit about human well-being here on Earth, hmm? 
Heaven is forever and ever! Angel
You are correct, Drich, we have become a society that depends upon the morality of those whom we place too much emphasis. Hollywood is not a source of morality.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(April 1, 2016 at 7:57 pm)robvalue Wrote: Interesting, thanks Big Grin

So... Drich is saying morality isn't about being a good person, it's just about following arbitrary rules a dictator has laid out? Is that right?

Wow that sounds likes a blast.

No, wait... he said morality is about abolishing works based thinking. So I succeed by going around doing the abolishing? What if there is none to abolish? Do I still win?

Except it really doesn't matter at all once you figure out hey god is all knowing.. so yeah that's a thing.
Atheism is a non-prophet organization join today. 

Code:
<iframe width="100%" height="450" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src="https://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=https%3A//api.soundcloud.com/tracks/255506953&amp;auto_play=false&amp;hide_related=false&amp;show_comments=true&amp;show_user=true&amp;show_reposts=false&amp;visual=true"></iframe>

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bibe Study 2: Questionable Morality Rhondazvous 30 2951 May 27, 2019 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Vicki Q
  Christian morality delusions tackattack 87 9482 November 27, 2018 at 8:09 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Question to Theists About the Source of Morality GrandizerII 33 7811 January 8, 2016 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Godscreated
  C.S. Lewis and the Argument From Morality Jenny A 15 6296 August 3, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Jenny A
  The questionable morality of Christianity (and Islam, for that matter) rado84 35 7614 July 21, 2015 at 9:01 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Stereotyping and morality Dontsaygoodnight 34 8341 March 20, 2015 at 7:11 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  You CAN game Christian morality RobbyPants 82 18088 March 12, 2015 at 3:39 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Challenge regarding Christian morality robvalue 170 37008 February 16, 2015 at 10:17 am
Last Post: Tonus
  The Prisoner's Dilemma and Objective/Subjective Morality RobbyPants 9 4287 December 17, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheist Morality vs Biblical Morality dyresand 46 13907 November 8, 2014 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: genkaus