Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 13, 2024, 6:27 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The real religion?
RE: The real religion?
This is as relevant as my mayo-making!
(August 17, 2016 at 1:12 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: And round and round the circle we go! Where it stops, everybody knows!

Don't worry, I'm all NT-argued out. Just bothers me when people say "there is no evidence for God" as a rebuttal in just about any discussion when their reasoning fails them.
Not even gonna bother engaging that anymore.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson
(August 17, 2016 at 1:37 pm)SteveII Wrote:
(August 17, 2016 at 1:12 pm)FatAndFaithless Wrote: And round and round the circle we go! Where it stops, everybody knows!

Don't worry, I'm all NT-argued out. Just bothers me when people say "there is no evidence for God" as a rebuttal in just about any discussion when their reasoning fails them.

It's as reasonable as saying "There is no evidence for Zeus."

"It says in the NT that there is a God and he is X, Y and Z."

"Where is the evidence that he actually exists in the world and has those characteristics?"

"It's in the NT."

Circular much?

[Image: break-the-cycle4.jpg?w=300]

This is a fallacious argument, not evidence.

And an argument is not evidence anyway!

I haven't been taking you seriously on this thread, SteveII, because it's not worthy of seriousness. I've been rationally arguing against ridiculous religious shit like this since I joined in 2008. Tired of how pathetic it is to be honest. Nothing new. No evidence, just fallacies, biases and wishful thinking.
(July 12, 2016 at 5:15 pm)robvalue Wrote: We have loads of different theistic religions in the world right now. And every one of those claims to be the "real religion". They have it right, and everyone else has it wrong. They're worshipping the real god(s), in the correct way.

What would we expect to see from this? Let's pretend that one of these current religions is the real one.

Wouldn't it be absurdly obvious which one this is? Wouldn't those following the correct religion have some sort of noticable advantage? If God is doing anything at all in return for the worship it is receiving, wouldn't this be clear to all?

What I see is a bunch of people all claiming to have this amazing being on their side, yet none of them are any better off than any others because of it. I can only conclude that either none of them have it right, or God's blessings are so insignificant that I don't even notice them.

Here are the possibilities.

1.) "God" is not all powerful and just simply "evil" in our standards (all though some places and people still think killing non-believers/gay people is fine and threatening people with eternal torture... along with the rape of underage children and with the enslavement of non-believers).

2.) There is no god and the universe is an illusion and the people who created are universe has limited our resources and knowledge and we are their lab rats (metaphorically).

3.) The "Real God" is hiding himself from the world and just wants to see where the humans and other intelligent species take themselves before the death of the cosmos. And then this god will think of something else.

4.) There is no god, and we are the result of the fundamental forces, laws of physics, the physical expressions of maths, and the beauty of the cosmos...

It's not a matter of which is the most plausible (pseudo-science) but it is indeed a matter of which ones are the least plausible (true science).

The real religion?

And for as long as you can lie to yourself about the bible being "evidence" of God, you can continue to falsely accuse reasonable people of having a failure in reasoning, lol.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 
The real religion?
Also Steve, I noticed you went MIA yesterday when the discussion got down to the nitty gritty of the Epistles. I get you have a life, but care to respond to any of that? Particularly m.h.Brewer's question to you about the non-canonical writings? I'm curious to hear your thoughts on these things.
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

There isn't evidence for a god, or atleast testable evidence.

Of course not. God is heavily science proof, he has to be. It's his number one ability these days.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(August 17, 2016 at 2:29 pm)LadyForCamus Wrote: Also Steve, I noticed you went MIA yesterday when the discussion got down to the nitty gritty of the Epistles.  I get you have a life, but care to respond to any of that?  Particularly m.h.Brewer's question to you about the non-canonical writings?  I'm curious to hear your thoughts on these things.

This might help, #469: http://atheistforums.org/thread-44065-page-47.html
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11146 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5025 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20119 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50973 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5278 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused