Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 4:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Has anyone seen my neutral pointer?
RE: Has anyone seen my neutral pointer?
(September 17, 2016 at 6:30 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 6:26 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Yep, and ideas are made of stuff....was there some ambiguity?

Okay, so ideas are made of ideas.  We are agreed, then.

Sure, if the terms are interchangeable..in your estimation.  That's your call, not mine. We could dance all day, I'd love the practice...but...at some point we'll both have the acknowledge that neither of us uses either term interchangeably with the other.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(September 17, 2016 at 5:54 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 5:37 pm)Alasdair Ham Wrote: Dreams are imaginary and the imagination is made up of brain chemistry which is wholly physical and material.

For fuck's sake it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work that one out.

It EXACTLY takes a scientist to work that one out, actually.

What you've just done is stated your position as a fact.  You don't get to do that-- you have to demonstrate that your position IS a fact.  Go ahead.  Show that there's a material world, and that the imagination is nothing more than brain chemistry.  Demonstrate the truth of your assertion.

* Losty throws imaginary apple at Benny.

Meh

* Losty throws material apple at Benny.

Hehe
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(September 17, 2016 at 5:33 pm)bennyboy Wrote: If you want to say "material" is "things as we experience them," that's fine.  I experience stuff in dreams, and in that context, I suppose you could say that apples "exist."  But I don't think you'd call those apples "material," since in fact your world view goes beyond merely labeling experiences in this way.

A cosmogonic or cosmologic "-ism" probably is about more than that-- it's more likely to be a position on the true nature of reality.  And the nature of reality according to science is that what we experience doesn't exist objectively such as we experience it: there really isn't redness "out there" anywhere, for example, or even form.  Show me how the experience of redness "reduces down" to QM, and I'll give you a free apple.

You must be free basing. Nowhere did I say anything of the sort. I simply pointed out that you were conflating how data from our sensory receptors can be explained in terms of the underlying quantum phenomena with how the quantum phenomena themselves are described. How you got that from what I wrote is a mystery. No, what we experience does not objectively exist in the way that we experience it. The color red as a quality of light as it impinges upon our photoreceptors does exist. Your complaint was that our experience of the world doesn't make sense because of QM. That would be a big surprise to most physicists. You're simply retreating to the "physics can't explain qualia" argument, which is nothing but an argument from ignorance, and bears no relation to anything I said. It's just your "go to argument" for everything. Raising it here is nothing but a red herring.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(September 17, 2016 at 5:26 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 11:35 am)Rhythm Wrote: If you say "that" and point to an apple..Imma get it.  If you think that it is or could be a spirit apple full of world peace (or that it;s useful, somehow, to leave that door open by pedantically describing a "neutral") then maybe, just maybe, it's your belief that needs elaboration rather than the materialistic underpinnings, as you see them, of everyday speech patterns.  

I don't think he's saying reality is neutral. I think he's saying the right position to take on things whose underlying framework you can't really know is a neutral position. So maybe you see an apple and say it's material stuff. I see an apple and say it's a collection of ideas: a particular shape, color, glossiness etc. He seems (unless I'm reading it wrong) to think both those positions are pointless. He'd rather dump the guesses and just say, "Nah. . . just an apple."

So, if I understand this correctly, why can't we just say, "we don't know" instead of saying it's neutral?

I still don't get the whole apple analogy.
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.
(September 17, 2016 at 6:34 pm)ApeNotKillApe Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 6:30 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Okay, so ideas are made of ideas.  We are agreed, then.

In the same way that bicycles are made of bicycle.

You missed the context.  I said "stuff" is an idea, and Rhythm said ideas are made of stuff.  So you're basically responding to Rhythm with this comment.
(September 17, 2016 at 7:10 pm)Losty Wrote: * Losty throws imaginary apple at Benny.

Meh

Hehe

Hmmm. I felt exactly nothing.
(September 17, 2016 at 9:06 pm)bennyboy Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 7:10 pm)Losty Wrote: * Losty throws imaginary apple at Benny.

Meh

Hehe

Hmmm.  I felt exactly nothing.

If I had thrown a real material apple at you you'd have also felt nothing, I have terrible aim.
(August 21, 2017 at 11:31 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: "I'm not a troll"
Religious Views: He gay

0/10

Hammy Wrote:and we also have a sheep on our bed underneath as well
(September 17, 2016 at 6:49 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 6:30 pm)bennyboy Wrote: Okay, so ideas are made of ideas.  We are agreed, then.

Sure, if the terms are interchangeable..in your estimation.  That's your call, not mine.  We could dance all day, I'd love the practice...but...at some point we'll both have the acknowledge that neither of us uses either term interchangeably with the other.

I think we have a pretty neat little inversion, though.  I see "stuff" as a category of idea.  You see "idea" as a category of stuff, I think.
https://youtu.be/zsLOVYTLt90
I am John Cena's hip-hop album.
(September 17, 2016 at 7:54 pm)Nymphadora Wrote:
(September 17, 2016 at 5:26 pm)bennyboy Wrote: I don't think he's saying reality is neutral. I think he's saying the right position to take on things whose underlying framework you can't really know is a neutral position. So maybe you see an apple and say it's material stuff. I see an apple and say it's a collection of ideas: a particular shape, color, glossiness etc. He seems (unless I'm reading it wrong) to think both those positions are pointless. He'd rather dump the guesses and just say, "Nah. . . just an apple."

So, if I understand this correctly, why can't we just say, "we don't know" instead of saying it's neutral?

I still don't get the whole apple analogy.

Anyone care to help me understand?
Disclaimer: I am only responsible for what I say, not what you choose to understand. 
(November 14, 2018 at 8:57 pm)The Valkyrie Wrote: Have a good day at work.  If we ever meet in a professional setting, let me answer your question now.  Yes, I DO want fries with that.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is it possible for a person to be morally neutral? Der/die AtheistIn 10 2072 October 15, 2017 at 7:14 pm
Last Post: brewer