Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 3:51 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Is there objective Truth?
RE: Is there objective Truth?
Something tells me that SDC is not questioned or does not hear that he/she is incorrect to often. We keep getting the "but you don't understand me" or "that's not what I meant" response.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
If we don't understand, or that's not what he means, that's his own failure.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop. Let's say the principle of non-contradiction is an objective truth. Let's say that there is a real world which corresponds to some of my observations and is thus true in that sense. So what? What follows from that, because even if those statements are valid, it has no real theological implication. Where is this discussion headed?
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(October 15, 2016 at 2:00 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.  Let's say the principle of non-contradiction is an objective truth.  Let's say that there is a real world which corresponds to some of my observations and is thus true in that sense.  So what?  What follows from that, because even if those statements are valid, it has no real theological implication.  Where is this discussion headed?

Your guess is as good as time. I'll go with circles or wild tangents.
I don't have an anger problem, I have an idiot problem.
Air exists, objective immaterial truth.  Still wondering what it has to do with a god.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
(October 15, 2016 at 2:03 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Air exists, objective immaterial truth.  Still wondering what it has to do with a god.

Air is not immaterial, it's invisible.

[Image: giphy.gif]

Magnetism is immaterial.
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
Neither are immaterial, you're making the same rookie mistake as the op, but thanks for keeping up.
(October 15, 2016 at 2:38 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Neither are immaterial, you're making the same rookie mistake as the op, but thanks for keeping up.

What is magnetism made of?
"Leave it to me to find a way to be,
Consider me a satellite forever orbiting,
I knew the rules but the rules did not know me, guaranteed." - Eddie Vedder
"What makes you think that the universe has been "programmed", when you say apparent what do you mean - specifically- ? If it has been "programmed", why by a god, and if by a god, why by -your- god?"

1 step at a time, laying out the groundwork atm.

"Something tells me that SDC is not questioned or does not hear that he/she is incorrect to often. We keep getting the "but you don't understand me" or "that's not what I meant" response."

That's called intilectual honesty, lol. Like i said i'm not above correction or education, that's why you whitness me ask for clarification and admit when i'm wrong. I don't see anybody else here admiting there wrong after i point out blatent and self defeating statements. If anything you guys should jump at the chance to prove me wrong because intilectual honesty dosn't come around often.

Also i would like to apologise to @Whateverist for text lauging at you. It's apperant i have been using the wrong word to describe what i've been trying to say. Smile

HOWEVER! It doesn't defeat the point.

"Let's say the principle of non-contradiction is an objective truth"

Are you kidding?
" According to Aristotle, first philosophy, or metaphysics, deals with ontology and first principles, of which the principle (or law) of non-contradiction is the firmest. Aristotle says that without the principle of non-contradiction we could not know anything that we do know."
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/aristo...radiction/

"So what? What follows from that, because even if those statements are valid, it has no real theological implication. Where is this discussion headed?"

One topic at a time, you can't jump conclutions like that. This thread pertains to the question of "is there objective truth".
(October 15, 2016 at 2:53 pm)Soldat Du Christ Wrote: One topic at a time, you can't jump conclutions like that. This thread pertains to the question of "is there objective truth".

Define objective truth. Please give an example of an objective truth.
God thinks it's fun to confuse primates. Larsen's God!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What Is The Truth. disobey 81 7036 August 21, 2023 at 2:15 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3339 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  What is truth. deepend 50 3351 March 31, 2022 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  The Truth deepend 130 5434 March 24, 2022 at 8:59 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  The Truth about Ethnicity onlinebiker 41 2763 September 2, 2020 at 3:03 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Objective Standard for Goodness! chimp3 33 5868 June 14, 2018 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Objective morality: how would it affect your judgement/actions? robvalue 42 8444 May 5, 2018 at 5:07 pm
Last Post: SaStrike
  The Objective Moral Values Argument AGAINST The Existence Of God Edwardo Piet 58 14142 May 2, 2018 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Does the head follow the heart in matters of truth? Angrboda 63 9237 March 19, 2018 at 7:42 am
Last Post: John V
  Can somebody give me a good argument in favor of objective morality? Aegon 19 4553 March 14, 2018 at 6:42 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger