Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 10:41 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uni Health Care
RE: Uni Health Care
Mmmm eugenics,

We need to isolate the x-gene and breed up some mutants. I want some Nightcrawler genes spliced into mine so I can teleport.

Oh, and we need to breed out the smelly poor, because OBVIOUSLY success is genetic. /sarcasm

About all I can say about the disparity between the rich and the poor is that we need to redesign the system to properly allocate resources AND motivate the people to work excellently. I havn't quite figured out just how yet but I have some ideas.

Rhizo
(August 17, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Mmmm eugenics,

I want some Nightcrawler genes spliced into mine so I can teleport.

Rhizo

I tried that once but afterwards all I wanted to do was burrow thru the the ground and people kept trying to use me for fishin' bait.

Did not think that one thru.[Image: Thinkingof_.gif]
I used to tell a lot of religious jokes. Not any more, I'm a registered sects offender.
---------------
...the least christian thing a person can do is to become a christian. ~Chuck
---------------
NO MA'AM
[Image: attemptingtogiveadamnc.gif]
dryland fish, You are saying we need to educate the people to break the cycle of poverty but how can you begin to educate a child when his basic needs of food, clothing are not met? or when that child is constantly sick but cannot go to the doctor? Or can't afford glasses? or can't hear the teacher?
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
(August 17, 2009 at 5:01 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Mmmm eugenics,

We need to isolate the x-gene and breed up some mutants. I want some Nightcrawler genes spliced into mine so I can teleport.

Oh, and we need to breed out the smelly poor, because OBVIOUSLY success is genetic. /sarcasm

About all I can say about the disparity between the rich and the poor is that we need to redesign the system to properly allocate resources AND motivate the people to work excellently. I havn't quite figured out just how yet but I have some ideas.

Rhizo

The difference is education. Educated people are more likely to get a higher paying job and they are more likely to be healthier. Not always but usually they eat better and exercise. Of course there are overweight rich people but I'm talking about on average. I mentioned earlier that I live in a poor area of Kentucky. My county has an extremely high rate of unemployment due to the fact it thrives off of factory jobs. People are racist, sexist, and about half are on some type of state assistance. Every time I go to the grocery store I see people using the food stamp card. I look at the foods they are buying and usually there are little veggies and lots of chips, french fries, hamburger, and breads. I look at them and notice they and their children are overweight. Not only are we paying to feed them we are also going to end up paying for their numerous health issues due to eating non nutritioinal foods! Those same people have a high school education or a GED and a lot of the time they are smelly people or at least that's how it goes in my town. It's a small town and everyone knows everything about everyone like where they work or if they have a job at all, who they have slept with, their education level, and sometimes we know even more things that we really don't want to know about.

We HAVE to find better ways of educating children and motivating them to go on to higher levels of education. A high school education doesn't cut it in our economy. I see many people in my town quitting school and getting a GED and being happy with that!!!! Their parents encourage it. This has to stop.
(August 18, 2009 at 8:12 am)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: dryland fish, You are saying we need to educate the people to break the cycle of poverty but how can you begin to educate a child when his basic needs of food, clothing are not met? or when that child is constantly sick but cannot go to the doctor? Or can't afford glasses? or can't hear the teacher?

Well we can't just cut it all off at once. I said that. Giving people free health care isn't the start of it. It's only going to pacify those that already want a handout. We could put money toward school clinics. If people have free health care they will use it when they don't need to. People who don't have to pay for health care will go to the ER for little things like an earache. What do they care..they don't have to pay for it? They will go for every sniffle and ache instead of waiting like the rest of us who have to pay. Health insurance plans don't pay for pre existing conditions and cancer. Neither should free health care. Life isn't always peaches and cream and sometimes people have to pay for stuff. My step dad paid for his first wives cancer by putting a mortgage on his home. He just now paid it off ten years later and he's very financially sound at the moment. We paid out of pocket for my dads open heart surgery even though he died during surgery. We did it...and it didn't kill us.

People need to not have kids if they can't feed them. I'm sorry but that's how it is. We have places for kids who's parents can't take care of them properly. Adults should evaluate their situation before they decide to have a baby. If they can't afford them then they don't have them. If we start making it harder on people who have kids they can't afford then maybe that will make people think about it. As it is a woman can have no job and no home and have a baby and then the government will build them a house and feed them. Ever heard of HUD. Crack heads with kids get houses for free with HUD. I know someone just like that who got one. NO handouts for people even if their kids are sick. They need to rely on family, friends, or just give them up for adoption so someone who has money can take care of them. I'm not interested in paying for peoples irresponsible choices.
People go to the ER for little things like an earache NOW! Because they don't have health insurance to see a real doctor, and they have no other way. I agree with you that people should not have kids they cant afford but these kids don't ask to be born. You cut off social programs, who are you really hurting? You say adoption, these kids would just wind up in orphanages to be forgotten about. Talk about another system that's broken, most people couldn't afford or wouldn't qualify to adopt a child even if they really wanted to.

I agree with you that when it comes to most things, people should not just get a handout, they need a help out so that they can learn to make their own way. Don't assume that everyone just wants a handout. One of the major problems in the US (in my opinion at least) is those that abuse welfare and disability. I have some of these people in my own family who worked for a few years, had an 'injury', and then collected disability for their remaining years while collecting a paycheck on the side for under the table work.
Cher

"I have no advice for anybody; except to, you know, be awake enough to see where you are at any given time, and how that is beautiful, and has poetry inside. Even places you hate" -Jeff Buckley
(August 18, 2009 at 9:42 am)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: One of the major problems in the US (in my opinion at least) is those that abuse welfare and disability.
That's one of the major problems in any country with Welfare. Sure, it's fine to give money to the people who honestly cannot work through no fault of their own, but it becomes too much of a dependence. People end up thinking "Why work when I can just sit at home all day collecting welfare?", and they are correct. The government should not be in the handout business, it should be in the "creating jobs" business.
I completely agree Adrian. I am thankful such programs exist for those that use them for the intended purpose and not as a longterm paycheck. I truly believe the government needs to create more 'workfare' type programs which would be a better long term solution then handing out paychecks.
Cher

(August 18, 2009 at 10:03 am)Tiberius Wrote:
(August 18, 2009 at 9:42 am)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: One of the major problems in the US (in my opinion at least) is those that abuse welfare and disability.
That's one of the major problems in any country with Welfare. Sure, it's fine to give money to the people who honestly cannot work through no fault of their own, but it becomes too much of a dependence. People end up thinking "Why work when I can just sit at home all day collecting welfare?", and they are correct. The government should not be in the handout business, it should be in the "creating jobs" business.

Here we go again! In the UK unemployment is again on the up, 3 million may soon be unemployed and some " experts" suggest it may reach 4 million before this recession ( crisis of capitalism ) is over.
The sector being worst affected is young people of your age Adrian, 18-24 year-olds. Tell me what they can do or what the government can do to avoid them claiming benefit? And please don't say they can all start their own businesses.
HuhA man is born to a virgin mother, lives, dies, comes alive again and then disappears into the clouds to become his Dad. How likely is that?
(August 18, 2009 at 9:42 am)Rockthatpiano06 Wrote: People go to the ER for little things like an earache NOW! Because they don't have health insurance to see a real doctor, and they have no other way. I agree with you that people should not have kids they cant afford but these kids don't ask to be born. You cut off social programs, who are you really hurting? You say adoption, these kids would just wind up in orphanages to be forgotten about. Talk about another system that's broken, most people couldn't afford or wouldn't qualify to adopt a child even if they really wanted to.

I agree with you that when it comes to most things, people should not just get a handout, they need a help out so that they can learn to make their own way. Don't assume that everyone just wants a handout. One of the major problems in the US (in my opinion at least) is those that abuse welfare and disability. I have some of these people in my own family who worked for a few years, had an 'injury', and then collected disability for their remaining years while collecting a paycheck on the side for under the table work.

Why would an uninsured person go to the ER for an earache? An ER visit costs hundreds of dollars. My doctor costs me 60 dollars to see them without insurance. Sure they require you to pay ahead of time but people had better think about that. What's going to happen when hospitals start looking at peoples credit reports to decide if they will treat them or not? It's going to happen because irresponsible people are using the ER for minor issues and then not paying the bill. I save money for things like that. If you know you don't have insurance then don't spend your last dime on clothes, jewelry, a car, or a vacation!!!

Sure those kids didn't ask to be born. There are adoption centers for kids who don't ask to be born to parents who can't pay for them. If social programs are cutting off then you will hurt the poor right now. In the future we will be helping the economy by making it so people will STOP having kids they can't afford. A single poor woman or man doesn't get anything from the state. If they are poor then too bad and suck it up. A married man and woman who has no job can get a ton of money. They keep having kids to increase their money. A man who divorces a woman and has no job who also doesn't have custody of his kids does not qualify for welfare. At least not in Kentucky. A woman who is single and has kids can get ANYTHING they want. How is that fair? They don't have to work or do crap. They just have to sit on their butt and keep having babies.

I grew up in a place in Kentucky that still to this day doesn't have DSL internet. We have pollution issues because people dump garbage in sinkholes and pollute their drinking water. Some places the county chlorine treated water doesn't even run because it's so remote they can't get pipes out that far! I have seen people born due to incestuous relations and born with learning problems. We can't pinpoint the problem with the learning problems but we are sure it's pollution. People still don't have septic tanks. They just pipe their sewage onto their property!! This same area has the lowest scores in math and science in the state. They have the highest rate of unemployment and were the number one Marijuana producing area in the US just a few years ago. People live in poverty. I went to school with kids who didn't even have a floor in their home!!! Barefoot, pregnant, inbred, poor...yeah all of the stereotypes are true. I was fortunate and my parents were poor but my dad had a retirement pension and we were able to farm on my grandpas farm. What I'm saying is that I know what welfare people are like and why the are on it. They are lazy and they don't want to work. All of the welfare familes I know of had a ton of kids. Four, five, six and even more. I know of girls who got pregnant in the sixth, seventh, and eigth grade. Those people expect a handout. I remember a girl getting pregnant at 14 and saying "I don't care because I'll get paid anyway".

Have you ever known a lot of people who were on welfare? Say more than five families? Most of the time your welfare families sell drugs. Trust me on this one..the biggest majority of the bootleggers, moonshine manufacturers, meth heads, and pot dealers are on welfare. Oh and my county I live in right now was given a few billion dollars a couple years ago to help with busting meth manufacturing. Do not feel sorry for those poor welfare people....they make the life they live in and usually their kids are better off with a foster parent awaiting adoption. Those welfare kids usually never overcome their poverty. They end up getting on it when they get older because that's all the know. They aren't taught any different. Mom and dad get it and so that's how it is. Don't think that just because we have to pay for their heathcare in order to keep them healthy to teach them in school means that they will overcome their issues. Poverty is a cycle and it hardly ever stops if you keep handing people free goods.
(August 18, 2009 at 12:03 pm)bozo Wrote: Tell me what they can do or what the government can do to avoid them claiming benefit? And please don't say they can all start their own businesses.
Why don't they do what a lot of students are doing and get a degree? Once the recession has blown over, they will have skills for jobs that will be available. I agree with you, they probably couldn't create businesses for themselves; we aren't living in a Libertarian society (yet). There is too much regulation and control over business; it needs to be lifted so that the people with ideas get the encouragement and support when setting up their own company.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheists and health GGG 26 2359 February 12, 2021 at 10:49 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Belief in God can improve mental health outcomes. Mystic 19 6503 May 5, 2013 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Ryantology
  Why Atheists Care About YOUR Religion!!! Gooders1002 32 10235 November 18, 2012 at 11:56 pm
Last Post: festive1
  Creationist books in uni Gooders1002 17 5871 March 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger