Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 8:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Questions For You Non Believers
RE: Questions For You Non Believers
(November 19, 2012 at 9:32 am)Daniel Wrote: Downbeat, JW's aren't Christians FYI, so the point you made is moot.

I know you'd like to have that cake and get to eat it too but you have a dilemma. Either you get on the same Christian bus and sing Kumbaya with the rest of them, or you stay with the critical thinkers and recognize just how ridiculous any particular aspect of (an uncritically held) faith can look to those not drinking the kool aid.
If they think they are christians who are you to contradict them.

Quote:Jehovah's Witnesses is a millenialist restorationist Christian denomination

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

The Arbitrator of Christendom, a seemingly un-elected position claimed by so many christians on these boards alone that they've got to be standing asshole to elbow in that office..wherever it is.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!
If they believe in the dead jew on a stick they are christians as far as I'm concerned.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

JW's are not xtians? What is this, Opposite Day again already - doesn't time fly?

Let's see how they describe themselves:

Quote:Jehovah’s Witnesses—Who Are We?

We come from hundreds of ethnic and language backgrounds, yet we are united by common goals. Above all, we want to honor Jehovah, the God of the Bible and the Creator of all things. We do our best to imitate Jesus Christ and are proud to be called Christians. Each of us regularly spends time helping people learn about the Bible and God’s Kingdom. Because we witness, or talk, about Jehovah God and his Kingdom, we are known as Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Yup, definitely not xtians.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(November 15, 2012 at 6:02 am)Darnem Wrote: Why do you push your religion of Atheism on others when there is no evidence that God doesn't exist?

Couldn't think of a more impolite way to ask this question? I'm not going to bother to read the thread, I already know it goes straight to 'why are you atheists so mean?'. They always say that, and always leave the 'just because I'm being such an asshole?' part out. Did you visit a site on how to piss off atheists before coming here, or are you an atheist troll who knows just how to be most irritating?

Let's analyze your 'question' for a minute, though.

1. You tell us atheism is a religion. You even capitalize it.
2. You tell us we push it, even though we're just minding our own business on an atheist forum.
3. You finish off with an argument from ignorance: lack of evidence of nonexistence is evidence of existence.

That doesn't even add up to a question, just a Groucho Marx 'have you stopped beating your wife?' attempt at a 'gotcha'.

Just a reminder to everyone that we do get the occasional Christian with sincere questions who is actually interested in a dialogue, they aren't all trolls just because we get more than our share.
(November 19, 2012 at 9:32 am)Daniel Wrote: Downbeat, JW's aren't Christians FYI, so the point you made is moot.

Yeah, and according to Protestants, Catholics aren't Christians. And according to Catholics, Protestants aren't Christians. And according to-

Fuck this, I'm gonna just cut to the quick, here: How are you SO so sure that you're an actual Christian, hm?

(November 19, 2012 at 7:21 am)Darnem Wrote: I respect anyone for their beliefs on one condition:
They don't try to force their beliefs on others. And that includes actively trying to prove that someone elses beliefs are wrong.

I came here with a simple question and was met with a barrage of hate. I am still convinced that, out there somewhere, there are Atheists that are decent people and that are able to gain my respect but you guys are just killing that hope.
ITT: Angry Atheists.

Good. Hopefully you'll grow up with such an aversion to atheists that you'll leave them the fuck alone. Seriously, what did you expect?? When people say something patently stupid, the general reaction tends to be overwhelmingly negative, have you never noticed??

It's like if someone came up to you and started saying "1+1 = 11. This is very true; prove to me it isn't." What would your reaction be?
Are you legit Daniel?
(November 19, 2012 at 3:13 pm)Creed of Heresy Wrote: It's like if someone came up to you and started saying "1+1 = 11. This is very true; prove to me it isn't." What would your reaction be?

Actually, in some programming languages, if you represent each "1" as a string, the sum of the two strings will concatenate them, giving the result: "11". But then the numerical content of the symbol '1' is completely absent. It's just as "A" + "A" = "AA".

Quote:...For these reasons, any numbers estimating the size of the secular demographic are going to be generalizations that fail to fully capture the country's religious diversity. But even the conservative estimate of Secular Americans – 15 percent – represents almost fifty million people, a noteworthy demographic bloc. This is a group that outnumbers the combined populations of American Methodists (about eleven million), Lutherans (nine million), Pentecostals (eight million), Presbyterians (five million), Jews (three million), Episcopalians (three million), Mormons (three million), and Muslims (1.4 million). All of these religious groups together would not outnumber a conservative estimate of America's secular population!

by David Niose

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Abiogenesis ("Chemical Evolution"): Did Life come from Non-Life by Pure Chance. Nishant Xavier 55 3200 August 6, 2023 at 5:19 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1966 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Sincere and peaceful believers are tough people purplepurpose 4 1091 September 27, 2021 at 11:48 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2926 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Hardcore believers act like aliens from different planet purplepurpose 21 5155 December 15, 2017 at 7:49 pm
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  "No born believers" says new study. Gawdzilla Sama 1 1252 November 9, 2017 at 7:21 am
Last Post: Mr.Obvious
  More than half of the Uk say they are non-religious downbeatplumb 9 2908 September 5, 2017 at 5:04 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
Exclamation new "Cult of 'Non-Beliefism' " aka (the state of being "unlocked") ProgrammingGodJordan 142 15561 January 2, 2017 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A non-aggressive religion? rado84 24 4802 November 28, 2016 at 12:09 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Believers, put yourself in my place. Gawdzilla Sama 102 13611 November 23, 2016 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic