Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 7:42 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christianity vs Atheism
RE: Christianity vs Atheism
(October 30, 2013 at 12:36 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(October 29, 2013 at 11:32 pm)Informative2016 Wrote: I'm not mistaken, you've clearly underestimated the statement. Congratulations, you've thought of mythological creatures, which CAN be proven to be unreal based on their nature.

That's a bold claim, but easy to back up if true. Prove werewolves aren't real.

Well DUH, he just proved it by pointing out that those other creatures are mythological, while God is real! It's not special pleading at all...
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
[Image: circular-reasoning.jpg]
(October 30, 2013 at 12:38 pm)pocaracas Wrote:
(October 30, 2013 at 12:35 pm)Doubting Thomas Wrote: the capslock of truth
That one must go in the annals!

OK, but put it in slowly please Censored
(October 29, 2013 at 11:54 pm)Informative2016 Wrote: If I'm not mistaken some of the greatest scientists were Christian thinkers (such as Isaac Newton) ... and you can't use science to disprove religion, all science is are theories, then again we don't comprehend much of the science that is being studied today, by taking college level physics I'm knowledgeable of this, you have come as far as what? Believing in the big Bang THEORY?

In colloquial use by laypeople, 'theory' is roughly a synonym for 'educated guess'. So calling something someone says 'just a theory' is a way of saying it's speculative.

In science, what most people call a theory would be referred to as a hypothesis. The next step is to attempt to disprove the hypothesis by experiment or comparing it to predictions that would follow if it were true. Only if the hypothesis survives repeated testing is it considered confirmed. A scientific theory is based on, and explains, multiple confirmed hypotheses. There is much in 'theoretical' physics that would be better described as hypothetical, but the theory that the universe was once in a hot dense state that underwent rapid expansion that continues to this day is as well-supported as the theory of gravity.
(October 29, 2013 at 11:54 pm)Informative2016 Wrote: ...by taking college level physics I'm knowledgeable of this, you have come as far as what? Believing in the big Bang THEORY?
Referring it to as "just a theory" is proof you have not taken a college level course on physics.

I call poe on this one. He's too obvious now.

Next!
Damn, is he gone already?
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
(October 30, 2013 at 12:55 pm)BadWriterSparty Wrote: Damn, is he gone already?

Maybe he's just getting ready to open up a big can of Shatner!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVWxWoAc5h4
(October 30, 2013 at 12:49 pm)LostLocke Wrote:
(October 29, 2013 at 11:54 pm)Informative2016 Wrote: ...by taking college level physics I'm knowledgeable of this, you have come as far as what? Believing in the big Bang THEORY?
Referring it to as "just a theory" is proof you have not taken a college level course on physics.

I call poe on this one. He's too obvious now.

Next!
POE is a possible compliment to this fellows intelligence. I simply say troll
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.
(October 29, 2013 at 2:39 pm)Informative2016 Wrote: I'm currently working on an Apologetics project in which I need to talk to a few people who consider to be atheists and why they believe what they do.
Question 1: Why do you not believe in a God
Question 2: Why do you choose to deny the existence of a God
I'll start off with that, thank you, I look forward to an interesting conversation

I don't believe in god because it is a silly idea with no proof.

I deny the existence of god because...hey didn't I just answer this!

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(October 29, 2013 at 2:39 pm)Informative2016 Wrote: I'm currently working on an Apologetics project in which I need to talk to a few people who consider to be atheists and why they believe what they do.
Question 1: Why do you not believe in a God
Question 2: Why do you choose to deny the existence of a God
I'll start off with that, thank you, I look forward to an interesting conversation
1. Because no god would allow evil to exist, unless that god is evil
2. See "Problem of evil"

Only weirdo people say there is a god these days

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism, Deism & Christianity Cinjin 25 11121 October 3, 2011 at 3:12 am
Last Post: Cinjin