Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 2:32 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abiogenesis is impossible
RE: Abiogenesis is impossible
(November 10, 2013 at 6:45 am)apophenia Wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrMiCYi7I00

I fuckin love this movie. Don't know why. I just do.
(November 10, 2013 at 7:00 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Prophesies have several problems.
Ambiguities- Vague prophesies that could be made to fit several things happening.
Written after the fact-I predicted that there would be a massive Typhoon in the phillipines last week honest gov.
My point.
As far as I know we don't have any actual documents that predate any of the prophesies they were meant to foresee and christianity has a long history of forgery to support its case.
Just plain wrong-For example jesus is supposed to be the jewish messiah but in no way fullfils the role a messiah was expected to. He's not the messiah just a very naughty boy.
Wishful thinking-Some people are prone to seeing signs portents and answers to prophesy everywhere.

And to proof to my christians just make shit up argument. Jesus was not born in Nazareth because.

Quote:There exists no epigraphic or archaeological evidence that a city called Nazareth even existed prior to 60 or 70 CE at the earliest, and even if a tiny village did exist, would residence there be what the prophets had in mind to fulfill a messianic prophesy. “It was a tiny rural hamlet. The problem is that it wasn’t known by that name. It was actually a tiny, unnamed collection of about a dozen huts near the town of Gat-Hyefer, and was never known by the name of Nazareth until it was picked by a fifth-century Christian Roman emperor to be Nazareth, because he was embarrassed by the fact that no town by that name actually existed.”–Scott Bidstrup, “The Case Against ‘The Case for Christ’.”

http://jesusbirthermovement.tumblr.com/p...he-claimed

nazarath name history not relevant to the discussion.
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
I was unaware we were policing each other for relevance, now...
(November 10, 2013 at 7:52 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(November 10, 2013 at 10:37 am)Chas Wrote: That is not at all accurate. There is no requirement that information be preserved. Any amount of change may occur.

You are focused on the wrong thing. It is a blind algorithm encompassing random change and reproductive success.

(November 9, 2013 at 11:56 pm)snowtracks Wrote: for proteins to build the cell, according to molecular information theorist, dna supplies copious amount of information which is used at various precise time during the cell's construction.

How are you interpreting 'information'? It's just chemistry.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
(November 11, 2013 at 4:13 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(November 10, 2013 at 7:00 am)downbeatplumb Wrote: Prophesies have several problems.
Ambiguities- Vague prophesies that could be made to fit several things happening.
Written after the fact-I predicted that there would be a massive Typhoon in the phillipines last week honest gov.
My point.
As far as I know we don't have any actual documents that predate any of the prophesies they were meant to foresee and christianity has a long history of forgery to support its case.
Just plain wrong-For example jesus is supposed to be the jewish messiah but in no way fullfils the role a messiah was expected to. He's not the messiah just a very naughty boy.
Wishful thinking-Some people are prone to seeing signs portents and answers to prophesy everywhere.

And to proof to my christians just make shit up argument. Jesus was not born in Nazareth because.

http://jesusbirthermovement.tumblr.com/p...he-claimed

nazarath name history not relevant to the discussion.
Well the conversation should be about abiogenesis but it seems to wibble around doesn't it.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(November 10, 2013 at 7:53 pm)Texas Sailor Wrote: I fuckin love this movie. Don't know why. I just do.

It's got the dark, Tim Burton direction style, a unique and interesting premise, clever writing, and an amazing performance by Michael Keaton. My question is, what's not to love?
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 10, 2013 at 12:58 am)snowtracks Wrote: one way is an examination of bible prophecy. hundreds of prophecies have come to pass exactly as stated. in fact the true test of a prophet of God was ('was' since scriptures can not be added to by someone claiming revelation) 100% accuracy... absolutely no errors allowed.

That's true if the prophecies were written before the fact, and that is not known for certain. The more accurate the prophecy, IMO, the more likely it is that it was written after the fact and is therefore more of a historical account than it is a prophecy. When I was a believer, I found it uncomfortably suspicious that the prophecies that came true in ancient times were amazingly detailed and accurate, but those that were claimed to be fulfilled in modern times were very vague and filled with "proofs" or symbolism that was wide open to interpretation.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
(November 11, 2013 at 5:02 pm)Faith No More Wrote: My question is, what's not to love?

Um, the dark, Tim Burton direction style.
(November 11, 2013 at 5:11 pm)Captain Colostomy Wrote:
(November 11, 2013 at 5:02 pm)Faith No More Wrote: My question is, what's not to love?

Um, the dark, Tim Burton direction style.

Yeah, in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

It was perfect for Beetlejuice.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(November 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm)Chas Wrote: How are you interpreting 'information'? It's just chemistry.

You should know by now that these creationists stock in trade is vague, ill defined words that they refuse to expand upon but sound scientific. He's probably not interpreting information any way, I doubt he's even thought of it, because what he's saying doesn't connect to anything in the real world; it's just chaff, so it doesn't look like he's just sticking to his assumed conclusion directly.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2050 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 22037 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 32906 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 47047 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 46370 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4583 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument for atheism from impossible actions Captain Scarlet 16 7528 September 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: everythingafter